Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Simone Simon is dead...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Simone Simon is dead...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Simone Simon is dead...

French actress Simone Simon dies

Simone Simon, the French actress who starred in 1942 horror film The Cat People, has died in Paris aged 93.

Born in Marseille, Simon began her career as a model before coming to the attention of Hollywood studio head Darryl Zanuck.

She was given a contract that saw her act in 11 US movies, including 1937's Seventh Heaven opposite James Stewart.

After the acclaimed Cat People she returned to France to star in famed director Jean Renoir's La Bete Humaine.

International star

Her triangular, almost feline face helped Simon make an impression early in her career but her Hollywood progress was hampered by appearances in unremarkable films.

Disenchanted with Hollywood in general and film studio 20th Century Fox in particular, she returned to France to be re-established as an international star in La Bete Humaine in 1938.

World War Two brought Simon back to the US in the 1940s, where she starred in a series of horror films including All That Money Can Buy, Cat People and its sequel The Curse of the Cat People.

Simon made a handful of films in France in the 1950s before retiring in 1956.
Let me just add that Ms. Simon was perhaps one of the most annihilatingly knockout women to ever grace the silver screen. Don't believe me? Watch Val Lewton's amazing Cat People or, even better, the Criterion DVD of The Devil and Daniel Webster, in which she played a sultry demonic temptress. [PLUG]You can read my review here, if you so desire...[/PLUG]

RIP
Old 02-25-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only ever seen her in The Devil and Daniel Webster where she was spooky. Hot but spooky. I'm ashamed to say that I have yet to see Cat People or Le Bete Humaine but plan to see both eventually. She lived to be 95 which is a good long life. RIP
Old 02-25-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Only a handful of films, but once you saw her, you never forgot her. Hopefully once the rumored Val Lewton box set shows up, yet another generation will come under her spell.
Old 02-25-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah - she was great in devil/daniel webster
Old 02-26-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R.i.p.