Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My review: The Gospel of John (3 dvd set)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me just start out bye saying there is a 2 dvd set coming out on 3/15/05.
But this one will not do the one i just watch justice for sure (disney/b-v).
If anyone here has seen Jesus Of Nazareth (min-series-1977) from NBC this is still the best film of all-time of the story of the christ Robert Powell is just so powerful and the cast around him are just good.
Now on to my review of The Gospel Of John....
The total running time(260mins) of this movie is brokedown into the first two dvd's.
Disc 1 has the first part (1hr & 40mins) it start with Jesus and the first disciples.
Disc 2 has part 2 (1hr & 20mins) it start with the anointed bethay.
There is more but i don't want to spoil this film bye saying everything just the first part how it starts i just get's better as you watch the great story unfold.
The acting in this film is first rate bye far Henry Ian Cusick is the second best actor to play Jesus Christ ever on film (Robert Powell is still the best).
Now i will rate this out of a scale of 1-10 for all point of this film as follow.
((The film)) it's self i give it a 9.5 (I didn't give 10 because Mary mother of Jesus is not in this film alot).
((The picture)) is a 10,very crisp super detail i would say it has a very high bit rate on this transfer colors are right on the whole way from start to finish.
((The sound)) is just great it's a 10..
Now here is the big reason to get this dvd set not the other 2 dvd set.
The 3 disc is all bonus features one of them is out 100mins long i have not watch the bonus disk yet but i will look great to me i say it a 10 four sure..

You maybe ask what about The Passion Of Christ (Mel Gibson movie) well to the point it was good but it had to much blood gore for a movie about My LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Well that all i have said for now please pick-up this (3 disc version) for you and your family and friends you not want to miss this it is a most watch film..
Old 02-24-05, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review. I think I've seen parts of this on cable on the "Trinity Broadcast Network' (TBN) my local Comcast system shows TBN from like 6PM till around 3AM somenights and other nights they only show it starting from around 9PM to 2 or 3AM the reason is the also show the ETWN Catholic cable network. I don't like ETWN as much, and avoid it.
Old 02-24-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I liked this movie FAR better than "Passion", and Gospel's dvd is a very nice and packed set to boot.

I don't understand how this one got swept under the rug. Where were all the regligous groups that supported Passion? They could have just as well gotten behind this film... but alas, it's not very sensational.
Old 02-24-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
((The film)) it's self i give it a 9.5 (I didn't give 10 because Mary mother of Jesus is not in this film alot)...
What the...?

This is supposed to be a strict film translaton of the Gospel of John, and Mary wasn't in John's book that much, therefore... I don't understand your critisism.