Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

[Guitarist] Brian "Head" Welch leaves KORN

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Korn Guitarist Welch Leaves Band

Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch has parted ways with the hard rock act. Welch broke the news Sunday on Bakersfield, Calif., station KRAB-FM, citing a recent religious awakening. "I had it in my heart to come here and explain to you," Welch said. "I'm good friends with Korn. I love those guys, and they love me, and they're very happy for me."

Addressing the aggressive tone of the music he made with Korn, Welch said, "Anger is a good thing, and if kids want to listen to Korn, good, but there's happiness after the anger. I'm going to show it through my actions how much I love my fans."

Welch added that he would be appearing at a local church on Sunday (Feb. 27), during which time he would "speak [about] how I got to this place in my life, and I'll answer all your questions."

On its official Web site, Korn's remaining members said they respect Welch's wishes and hope "he finds the happiness he is searching for." The group is in the studio working on a new album, due in September, which will be its first since fulfilling its contract with Epic last year.

For now, no replacement for Welch has been named, nor has a new label home for the band.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 02-22-05, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to each their own
Old 02-23-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting. Head was my favorite member of the band, I wonder what this is all about.
Old 02-23-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds like he's joining POD
Old 02-23-05, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Good for him. Hey, in this Fucked up nasty World if some guy can find some peace and happiness then more power too him.

"Vanity" of Vanity 6 did the same thing. Nicko McBrain on Iron Maiden is married to a Christian woman down in Florida and from what I understand he plays drums in the Church's band when he can. Alice Cooper is also married to Christian girl IIRC.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-23-05 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-23-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Good for him. Hey, in this Fucked up nasty World if some guy can find some peace and happiness then more power too him.

"Vanity" of Vanity 6 did the same thing. Nicko McBrain on Iron Maiden is married to a Christian woman down in Florida and from what I understand he plays drums in the Church's band when he can. Alice Cooper is also married to Christian girl IIRC.
Alice Cooper has been teaching Sunday School at his church since 1993, I think. I'm interested to see what exactly happened to Welch.
Old 02-23-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard he's joining Stryper.
Old 02-23-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe he'll hook up with Creed.
Old 03-06-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm happy for him, it looks like he finally found peace:

Ex-Korn Guitarist Baptized in Jordan River

KIBBUTZ KINNERET, Israel - Former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch was baptized Saturday in the Jordan River, just weeks after quitting his band, drug habits and rock-and-roll lifestyle for religion.

Welch, a founding member of the multi-platinum band, and about 20 other white-robed Christian pilgrims from a Bakersfield, Calif., church were immersed by their pastor, Ron Vietti.

Welch said the ritual baptism had washed away his anger. "You know when you get angry and it builds up? I felt like hurting someone before, now I feel like hugging people," he said.

Vietti said Welch — who has "Jesus" tattooed across his knuckles and "Matthew 11:28," tattooed prominently across his neck — is already attracting a new group of young people to the message of Christianity.

"In recent weeks people have committed their lives to God because they're so inspired by his story," Vietti said.

Korn announced Welch's resignation last month after 13 years with the band. Welch said he had become increasingly depressed and drug-addicted in recent years, but that religion helped him quit.

He said he plans to release more music without the band.

"My songs are God saying things to me, him talking to people. He's going to use me to heal people and people are going to be drawn to it, just watch, they will be," he said.

Thousands of pilgrims are baptized annually in the Jordan River where, according to Biblical tradition, John the Baptist baptized Jesus.

Link
Old 03-06-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I'm happy for him, it looks like he finally found peace:

That's my point. I know many fans will give him shit for his choice but I think at some point he has to think about what's good for him.
Old 03-06-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I applaud him for standing up for his new convictions. If fans have a problem with it (a few probably will) they should probably look at it from the point of view that his conflicts would do more to damage the band than help it.

He's doing the right thing for himself and the band. I think it's great that he's doing what he believes in.
Old 03-06-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by woofman
I heard he's joining Stryper.
You're wrong, it's Faith + 1.

Old 03-06-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if it makes him happy, then i'm all for it. i'm not religious at all, some folks need it, and cleary he needed it. so good for him. best wishes
Old 03-07-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by db27
if it makes him happy, then i'm all for it. i'm not religious at all, some folks need it, and cleary he needed it. so good for him. best wishes
I agree. You gotta look out for number one otherwise you'll never be happy no matter how rich and famous you might be.
Old 03-07-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Reminds me of all the other stoners I knew in college that "found Jesus" and two years later were back getting high in even greater quantities.
Old 03-07-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Reminds me of all the other stoners I knew in college that "found Jesus" and two years later were back getting high in even greater quantities.
Shouldn't it remind you of that in two years once he's renounced Jesus and back on drugs?
Old 03-07-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
This company was making "Korn Gave Head to God" shirts. I was going to order one, but they seem to have discontinued them.
Old 03-07-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i heard on the radio today that all the money he makes from doing christian music is going to go to building skate parks. finally, someone is thinking of the children.
Old 03-07-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't understand why he had to leave Korn.

I also don't understand why he has to talk about his conversion so much!
Old 03-08-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth

I also don't understand why he has to talk about his conversion so much!
The same reason that you talk about things that are important to you.
Old 11-28-05, 02:04 AM

I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT BRIAN IS A PERSONAL FRIEND OF MINE!!! i THINK THAT HE HAS MADE THE BEST DECISION OF HIS LIFE!!!! HE IS HAPPY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS, AND I HAVE KNOW HIM A LONG TIME! PLEASE LEAVE HIM ALONE AND LET HIM LIVE HIS LIFE FOR OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!! HE IS TOTALLY DRUG FREE AND GIVING BACK TO UNDER PRIVILIGE KIDS, HE HAD IT ALL, BUT WAS MISS SOMETHING, GUESS WHAT HE FOUND IT...........GOD!!!!!!
Old 11-28-05, 03:18 AM

haha, so hilarious.
Old 11-28-05, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by GOD CHICK
PLEASE LEAVE HIM ALONE AND LET HIM LIVE HIS LIFE FOR OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!!

Leave him alone? This thread had been buried for over 8 months. You're the one the decided to bring it up again
Old 11-28-05, 08:39 AM
Banned

Please don't shout, (new member) God Chick, LOL...
Old 11-28-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

GOD CHICK.....pics?

:nopics:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.