Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So did all you pick up the Deadwood DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-19-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the title is sensored enough to pass, if its not OK, mods feel free to edit it or delete it all together. Thanks

Well, I finally got a set last night for $45 and think its a great package. I like how the packaging is alot sturdier than Carnivale and the way the outer case is made.

The DVDs themselves are also great. Nice simple menus that give all the options Ive grown to love (previously on, next on, etc) The picture is also real nice and as good, if not better than what I saw on HBO HD. The sounds not too shabby, but it seems a bit too front loaded. Plus with about 2 eps a disc I was hoping for DTS.

The extras seem great and detailed, alot better than previous sets. But I havent seen them yet. I was hoping for historian commentary on every episode maybe them paired with an actor (Brad Dourif would have been perfect) just to see how the show was done compared to history and everything, but oh well; Im digging the doc on it with all the cool pics (scanned through it.)

Quick question though, to those who have this set, have you seen all the extras? I havent seem them yet and I wanted to ask if they have Spoilers in them. Like a mention that Seth was later killed by Swearengen in real life (just an example). Id hate to be spoiled of upcoming seasons and shows because of an extra on S1.
Old 02-19-05, 02:52 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Yup, my box set came in the mail earlier this week. I primarily got it for the extras and commentaries because I've been watching the Deadwood encore's on HBO HD. However, I have yet to open it up. Great packaging though!
Old 02-19-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i won't be buying this but i really hope that one of my local stores has it to rent. i have heard nothing but great things about this series.
Old 02-19-05, 07:19 PM

Geoff, I purposely skipped the replays becuase I knew Id be buying this set as soon as I found it. Are you going to watch your set before S2 again? Or just watch the extras first? Im thinking of watching them first so I can apprecaite the show a bit more when I re watch it, but Im just curious if theres spoilers. Did you pick up the Carnivale set? I havent even watched the bonus stuff on there.

Kevin, hunt this sucker down at video stores. But be warned, you might get hooked and find yourself buying the box.

Man, Id dive right into my set if it werent for this All Star Weekend!
Old 02-19-05, 08:02 PM

Got mine ..Great set,Can't wait for season 2
Old 02-19-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Well, I finally got a set last night for $45...
where?
Old 02-19-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
You may want to spoiler those remarks Ravenous...even though they are part of recorded history for those who wish to research it. I think everyone knows Hickok's fate from history class, but few have heard of Bullock and Swearengen (prior to this series).
Old 02-19-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the show, but not enough to need on DVD to see again. I'm not sure I could even sit through them a second time.
Old 02-19-05, 09:39 PM

Yes, I picked it up from BestBuy.com using my digital coupons from the 2for15 fiasco. Then I received a $15.00 digital coupon, but they sent a $5.00 coupon, so I emailed them the coupon. They told me to use it and it was a $15.00, but they gave me a $10.00 for any trouble it caused. I ended up getting Donnie Darko and Half Baked for about five bucks.
Old 02-19-05, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You may want to spoiler those remarks Ravenous...even though they are part of recorded history for those who wish to research it. I think everyone knows Hickok's fate from history class, but few have heard of Bullock and Swearengen (prior to this series).
Well its not really a spoiler because it was just an example. Just a shot in the dark so to speak, I have no idea whats happening between those two characters in the show or in real life. I just made it up!
Old 02-19-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

title change ha ha ha...also remember the first episode can be had at suncoast for free.
Old 02-19-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hell yes I got mine. Picked it up at Costco for $65.

The best show HBO has ever done IMO & my favorite show since Spaced.

Haven't watched the extras yet.
Old 02-20-05, 12:22 AM

I don't get HBO so I was very pleased this series hit DVD so promptly. I got the discs from Netflix and have watched the first 8 episodes, and I'm very, very impressed with the storytelling, the acting, and particularly the extraordinary production values.

The only reason I won't buy it is because of the price, although if it were a limited series (ie, this was the complete work) like From the Earth to the Moon or Band of Brothers I probably would.

Netflix got me all six discs in the space of a week, so I can't complain.

RichC
Old 02-20-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Just for the record, the bonus material DOES spoil events from the first season of the show - but it doesn't spoil events yet to happen EXCEPT for the fate of Calamity Jane.
Old 02-20-05, 10:39 AM
Banned

for those concerned about the price, why not just wait until DDD is having their 20% off sale and get it then? I think they want around $65.00 for it now, so you coulf probably get it in the 40's price range when they have their sale.
Old 02-20-05, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Just for the record, the bonus material DOES spoil events from the first season of the show - but it doesn't spoil events yet to happen EXCEPT for the fate of Calamity Jane.
Her real life fate, or a made up Hollywood fate for the show?
Old 02-20-05, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the tip Dalvin... didn't even think of that. $69.97 on DDD, which isn't the worst price even at that.

Here's a good site with additional "non-fiction" material:

http://adamsmuseumandhouse.org

Last edited by wnyx1440; 02-20-05 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-26-05, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cupon
where?

I got this set at a small local used DVD/CD store. The stuff they sell ranges from really good to really bad. For instance, finding Deadwood still in original wrappe, and all the ads inside, etc for a cheap price was awesome, but the same store had Curb your Enthusiam for $16.99 but torn up (like the individual cardboards holding the hubs completely torn out of the packaging) and totally abused.

Finally saw the Extras first (Im on Ep 4 now) and theres really no spoilers in the bonuses. Just about Calamity and a bit about Seth Bullock.