Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Three Colors Trilogy --blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my eye on Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy for some time now. No video rental stores carry any of the movies and i'm not really willing to sign up to a netflix-type service, so my only chance to see these is to buy them myself.

I haven't seen any of Kieslowski's other works so I really don't know what to expect. I've heard good things about this trilogy, though. I'm just concerned that these movies might be geared toward a small audience --one I may not be not a part of. I don't mean to imply I only watch movies where lots of stuff blows up and CGI seems to be the focus; rather, I prefer those films that are thought-provoking rather than mind-numbing. Heavy dialogue doesn't bore me: Annie Hall, Before Sunrise, etc., are the types of movies I like. I just don't want to invest in three low-energy movies that crawl along, full of extended static shots, with very little dialogue or action taking place.
Thanks
Old 02-17-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I don't know. I love them, and hate to tell someone not to get them, but they're not for everyone. They certainly are thought-provoking, but they do have some points where there are some extended shots with little dialogue. The thing is, there always does seem to be something going on, even if it isn't always expressed through dialogue. If you've seen In the Bedroom, you can probably tell what I mean by things expressed through the actors' facial expressions rather than just with dialogue.

Also, they are a set so it would be a bit expensive if you're not familiar with Kieslowski and want to sample some of his work. (Although you wouldn't be taking near as big of a chance as if you bought The Decalogue as a blind buy.) Maybe what you could do is just buy one of them to see how you like it and then get the others separately, or get the set and sell the extra copy of the movie you bought first. The set just contains the same discs as the films separately but in a box-it's not a case where you get anything extra with the set-well, except for that box.

My favorite of the series is Red, although it helps if you have seen the others first since there is a scene later in the film where
Spoiler:
the trilogy is tied together by a scene where we see characters from all three movies together as survivors of an accident
Old 02-17-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For less than $30, I'd say buy this set. If you don't like it, sell it for nearly what you paid for it on Half.com or Amazon.com.

I'll add that I like Blue the best.

Last edited by evitagen; 02-17-05 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought it blind and loved it. Great movies. Watch them in order from Blue then White then Red. Blue was my favorite. The extras are pretty nice too. Kieslowski must be one of the most anal directors on the planet but he knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-17-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend the Three Color Trilogy DVD. My favorite is Red, followed closely by Blue. Then White. But all three movies are very good.
Old 02-17-05, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Three of the most human films I've ever watched. 24 undergrads in my Film Aesthetics course agree. We all really enjoyed the Three Colors trilogy. Buy it. Watch it. Grow from it.

Great, great filmmaking. From that initial shot of the tread of a moving tire to the final shot of Valetine, with the red anorak waving behind here. These are the most movingly human films I've ever seen.

Buy, Buy, Buy!
Old 02-17-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Just to put a contrarian view out there, as much as I know that I'm supposed to like these movies I really can't stand them. I did a review some time back that expressed why:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...reecolors.html

I don't expect anyone else to agree with me (or at least not to admit that they agree with me), but I know I'm not the only one who thinks these three movies were quite overrated.
Old 02-17-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The best trilogy in my collection...and a great, great package.

Take a look and see WHY Hollywood never tried to re-make these films. You could only go down hill from here.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 02-17-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

have yet to buy this set....been on the fence for a while....is it anamorphic?

I was always under the impression that the dvd content was sub standard....Anyone want to indulge us with the extras and transfers
Old 02-17-05, 11:30 PM

I think it's worth it, especially looking at the films you've listed. Just keep in mind these films are more character driven than plot driven and even though they're put together as a trilogy, they're linked together in small little ways and are pretty different from each other. I'm a fan of them (as of most of Kieslowski’s work) and I like to think I like a wide range of films.

I really liked Blue, it was heartbreaking and visually beautiful. White I didn't get into as much and wasn't much impressed with- this one, unlike the other two, had a male as a lead and I found him rather weak and unlikable (as well as the female in the story), but the film has its merits and some great supprting characters. Red is my favorite- it's very life affirming, funny, charming and unique.

An article I personally find REALLY helpful plus excellent reviews on all 3 films can be found at this link to notcoming.com Just an aside- I never consider buying movies you've never seen before a "blind buy" if you get some opinions and/or read some reviews online, and at the price they've released this amazing set at you really can't go wrong.

Hopefully if you enjoy these you can get into Kieslowski's other masterpieces, my personal favorite is A Short Film About Killing.
Old 02-17-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Cameron....SUPERB package. And for once R1 gets the best version.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/redr2vsr1.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/bluer2vsr1.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...hiter2vsr1.htm

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 02-17-05, 11:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

these films explore humanity and spirituality in a way that is almost impossible to describe with words... further, they are full of little details and mysteries that make repeat viewing an equally fulfilling experience... blind, deaf, or dumb... buy this set!!! and if they ever release The Double Life of Véronique, buy that too.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 02-18-05 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 11:51 PM

I blind bought and I'd put both the trilogy and the set in my top ten of all-time. I also love Before Sunset/Sunrise, which you noted you liked, so I say without a doubt pick this up.
Old 02-18-05, 02:13 AM

I have little to add to the comments above, except to say that out of my ~800 DVDs, this set is clearly in the top ten (based on film quality, commentaries, supplements, picture quality, etc). And for $30 (online), it may well be the greatest DVD bargain. Ever.
Old 02-18-05, 07:09 AM

I too have been on the fence to buy this for a long time, we had to watch Blue last semester for a film class and I loved it. I've heard nothing short of amazing from everyone regarding the other 2, this is definately moving over towards my high priority want list.
Old 02-18-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GrimTangent, it sounds like you are the right kind of viewer for this set. You will not be let down. Either way, we would love to read your thoughts.

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
I recommend the Three Color Trilogy DVD. My favorite is Red, followed closely by Blue. Then White. But all three movies are very good.
Same here, mookiemeister.
Old 02-18-05, 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone. Overwhelmingly positive response leaves me with no choice but to pick it up!

By the way, you made my first post a very encouraging experience. i am grateful.
Old 02-18-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, you made my first post a very encouraging experience. i am grateful.
If you enjoy this trilogy, do yourself a HUGE favor and also get The Decalogue....which is in my opinion Kieslowski's masterpiece and my favorite cinematic work of all time.....
Old 02-18-05, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

I bought the set blind and was very happy with my purchase. My favourite of the three is Blue, followed closely by Red. White I can take or leave. I was very surprised at the wealth of extras present on the discs. Really a quality package for a great price.
Old 02-18-05, 01:21 PM

I also bought this blind. I really liked Red, Blue was just ok. I have yet to see White but from reading everyone else's post on it I'm a bit hessitant now. For the price though this was worth it just for Red.
Old 02-18-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also made this set a blind buy. I liked Blue best, followed by Red and White. I enjoyed all of them. I also really enjoyed all the bonus material. It's a great set.
Old 02-18-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
have yet to buy this set....been on the fence for a while....is it anamorphic?

I was always under the impression that the dvd content was sub standard....Anyone want to indulge us with the extras and transfers
All three are anamorphic with 2.0 audio. The video transfers have some flaws, including minor edge enhancement and some compression problems, but are better than average for Miramax.
Old 02-18-05, 07:00 PM

Another blind buy here, just yesterday actually. For $20 I feel like I can't go wrong. Judinging from the responses, I'm certainly looking forward to this set-
Old 02-18-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GrimTangent
I'm just concerned that these movies might be geared toward a small audience --one I may not be not a part of. I don't mean to imply I only watch movies where lots of stuff blows up and CGI seems to be the focus; rather, I prefer those films that are thought-provoking rather than mind-numbing. Heavy dialogue doesn't bore me: Annie Hall, Before Sunrise, etc., are the types of movies I like. I just don't want to invest in three low-energy movies that crawl along, full of extended static shots, with very little dialogue or action taking place.
These films are anything but devoid of dialogue or events, particularly White, which has the faster pace and most 'action' of the three. And all three are certainly not as slow as something like 'Before Sunrise', nor as entirely dialogue driven.

There is nothing 'arty' about these films. Yes the cinematography is a joy to look at, but that's hardly the best thing about these films.

I bought the Trilogy blind too, a year or two ago after putting it off for ages. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

They are fantastic films and it sounds very much like you'll like them.

Be sure to watch them in order or you'll miss out on some very subtle plot elements
Old 02-18-05, 08:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
There is nothing 'arty' about these films. Yes the cinematography is a joy to look at, but that's hardly the best thing about these films.
are you saying these films are artless? maybe what you meant was that they are not pretentious; that they are not a case of style over substance; that Kieslowski's artistry of form is balanced by it's content of truthful expressions of humanity and spirituality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.