Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'I Heart Huckabees: Special Edition'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-17-05, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Preston Jones's DVD review of I Heart Huckabees: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14456 and...

Excellent review Mr. Jones; it makes me even more excited to check this out asap. Couldn't find a cinema playing it near my home during its theatrical run.

I'm curious as to how much Russell discusses, in the commentaries and extras, how his personal experiences were incorporated into/inspired this movie. I've heard that he based Schwartzman's character on himself.
Old 02-17-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the kind words and for reading ... during the solo commentary track, Russell does stop a few times and point out scenes, pieces of dialogue or references that were drawn from his life. The supplements are more behind-the-scenes and attempting to explain some of the philosophies involved than really delving into what of Russell's life ended up onscreen.
Old 02-17-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the review and added info! I am looking forward to checking this out!
Old 02-22-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up the two-disc SE today. I loved the film in theaters, so the DVD was a must buy come release date. I haven't watched the disc, but let me raise a few concerns just by looking at what I purchased when I got home...

1. FOX is currently one of the worst studios releasing DVDs currently because they're greedy sons of a bitches.
2. I Heart Huckabees should've just been a two-disc SE with an SRP of $29.99 and that's it. The film is not mainstream/popular enough to have two seperate versions of the flick available. I don't see the DVD moving millions of units, despite that Tower and Circuit City had both hundreds of copies of the SE and very few of the movie-only edition.
3. The SE includes the dual-sided disc that is available in the movie-only edition and a dual-layer disc for all the special features. What continuity is that? If I'm going to be paying $10 more, couldn't the SE be widescreen only? Maybe have it dual-layered with a DTS track on it as well?
4. Because of this practice, I am not buying the Kinsey SE when it comes out, unless it goes OOP or a price drop occurs shortly after release.
5. FOX is cheap.

But I will enjoy the DVD (hopefully) when I watch it later, but I'm still pissed off due to the fact FOX is cheap.
Old 02-22-05, 09:01 PM

yeh i'm having a hard time understanding why a 2-disc edition of a new film is $30. i mean, hundreds of new releases come out a year with the same sorts of features Huckabees has and sell for the usual $15-$20. i was interested in getting this film until i realized fox was going to make me spend twice as much on a bonus disc. just like Ray...
Old 02-22-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree-Fox pisses me off. There should be just a two disc, period. I don't want to complain too loud, at least there IS an option of having the extras, I am afraid they'll keep on the trend of releasing bare ass discs of movies that have great two discs overseas and then making people shell out more cash later. Screw that...
Old 02-23-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm mostly perplexed by the double-sided single-layered disc. Couldn't they just fit both versions on a single side of a double-layered disc? If Big Lebowski can do it...
Or just scrap the full-screen (many "bigger" movies have no full-screen at all), and put the widercreen over 2 layers for a better bit-rate.

But the extra disc is almost worth it (if you like the movie), much more than the Ray 2-disc LE, anyways. I also want to mention the really cool insert - this thing is as good as most Criterion inserts and is a funny, well put-toghether riff on the movie. I'm sure David O. Russel put it together himself.

Last edited by slop101; 02-23-05 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm totally impressed by the Dvd extras. The second disc is outstanding, gonna try and get through it this weekend! The price was high but I got a good PM on it!

I will second your vote for cool insert!
Old 02-24-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell's a huckabee? Sounds like something akin to a dingleberry.
Old 02-24-05, 03:54 PM

apparently its walmart....i mean, an endangered insect which lives in the South American rainforest....
Old 02-26-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by natevines
What the hell's a huckabee? Sounds like something akin to a dingleberry.
Watch the movie. By the way, you spelled "Kierkegaard" wrong in your sig. In context, the irony is just sickening.
Old 02-26-05, 09:10 PM

oh man thats embarassing...*looks away*

Anyhoo, I'm glad to see both relesases come in Slipcovers