Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sex and the City - HBO plans super-premium release.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check this out

well i was about to buy the good looking R2 shoe box...but thank god i didn't.
Old 02-17-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just hope that "lavish packaging" includes cases that don't disintegrate after opening and closing a few times, like the current sets.

I'm incredibly gentle with my stuff, and two of my cases for these sets are already broken. My in-laws (who are not gentle with their stuff at all) have completely demolished their cases and had to transfer to separate jewel cases.

These are probably the only damaged cases I have out of 2000-ish titles. Way to go, HBO!
Old 02-17-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that Sex and the City DVDs are designed to be handled by anyone with much upper-body strength.
Old 02-17-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't had any problems with my cases as of yet, and my wife watches them a fair bit. I really don't like the design though. Cases that don't stay closed by themselves are not very practical in my eyes. I don't think we'll be upgrading to this unless it's really cheap, but since it's HBO, it won't be.
Old 02-17-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Odds that they'll remaster the first few seasons?
Old 02-17-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These things cost too much for first time around for me to double-dip.
Old 02-17-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This blows. My wife has all the sets, and the cases are in horrible shape. She watches them all the time, but there's no way we're gonna pay more money for something else. Well, I won't...but she might.
Old 02-17-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is this the first double-dip on season sets for a TV series? I know some shows had compilation discs and were later released in season sets, like Spongebob, South Park, and Friends, but I've never heard of entire seasons being re-released.
Old 02-17-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Is this the first double-dip on season sets for a TV series? I know some shows had compilation discs and were later released in season sets, like Spongebob, South Park, and Friends, but I've never heard of entire seasons being re-released.
Star Trek TOS was originally release in its entirety in separate 2-episode editions, and then much later collected together in full-season sets.
Old 02-18-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well i know if u calculate the prices of the current sets it will be like 400$ or so but iam sure they won't sell this complete set for more than 250 or maybe iam just dreaming.....anyways, i really wish they make super premium sets to the great shows they have...from Sopranos to six feet under to The Oz.
Old 02-18-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In addition to the original Star Trek that Josh mentioned, Twilight Zone has actually been re-released 3 (or 4) times:

1. The original 45 Volumes, released separately. (Original retail of $25 each, later reduced to $15).
2. The same discs, repackaged into 5 boxed sets at a cheaper price
(3. The same transfers, rearranged in broadcast order and sold online in an exclusive limited box.)
4. The new "definitive" remastered season sets.

It's pretty sad when the only thing I've ever done a "quad-dip" on is a 5-season show! Luckily, I've done very well reselling my old editions... I actually think I've made a small profit going from one release to another.

Anyway, I also wonder if they're going to improve the transfers on S&tC when they re-release. The show (especially the initial seasons) really looks like crap on DVD. Not unwatchable... but extremely grainy and not at all what you'd expect from such a recent show.
Old 02-18-05, 09:21 AM

There's no way I'll be getting this for my wife. She has all the seasons already and there is NO EXTRA CONTENT on the planet that would make me rebuy them all.
Old 02-18-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Really not sure who this product will be for. Anyone who loves the show already has it and anyone who's on the fence would be unlikely to spend a fortune for a super-premium set.
Old 02-18-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Really not sure who this product will be for. Anyone who loves the show already has it and anyone who's on the fence would be unlikely to spend a fortune for a super-premium set.
Exactly. This series went out with a bad bang with the splitting of the last "season" ito two sets.

If this thing were loaded, and I mean LOADED, with extras,
I could see spending $100 for the entire series. Fiancee loves it. Any more than that would be pushing it.
Old 02-18-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Farscape.

Now that all of the big franchise series have been released to DVD, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw "double dips" of Buffy, Angel, X-Files, ST:TNG, and STS9. Babylon 5, maybe.
Old 02-18-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Farscape.
Ooooh, good call. Can't believe I forgot about that one... I'm in the middle of rewatching all of them right now.

Also, Image Entertainment plans a more elaborate release of Pee-Wee's Playhouse later this year.

So, I think you're right... while this is pretty rare at this stage (with only 5 or so shows getting double-dipped), it will probably become more and more common down the road. Especially as studios start to run out of true "A-list" shows to release (which is clearly beginning to happen already), and start looking at ways to keep the revenue stream flowing.
Old 02-18-05, 03:01 PM

I just got my gf her first DVD player last Christmas. She doesn't have any of this series on DVD yet, and I know she likes it.

Looks like I know what to get her for next Christmas!
Old 02-18-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, Image Entertainment plans a more elaborate release of Pee-Wee's Playhouse later this year.
But unlike Farscape or the upcoming Sex and the City ultra release, everyone was notified about that before the original sets were released. Reubens and Image let the fans know that they could pick up the episode-only editions prior to Christmas or they can wait a year for the fully blown special editions.

I have friends who bought it street date, despite full knowledge that an SE was down the road whereas I am waiting for the SEs.

And I already own the entire run of Sex and the City on DVD. It cost me around $170 in the long run and I don't plan on spending more money towards the show.
Old 02-18-05, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Now that all of the big franchise series have been released to DVD, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw "double dips" of Buffy, Angel, X-Files, ST:TNG, and STS9. Babylon 5, maybe.
Babylon 5 needs a double dip, in my opinion. They badly screwed up when they went anamorphic without rerendering the effects. The resulting digital artifacting is awful. I'd prefer a new transfer in 4:3 absent those artifacts.
Old 02-18-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
This blows. My wife has all the sets, and the cases are in horrible shape. She watches them all the time, but there's no way we're gonna pay more money for something else. Well, I won't...but she might.
My wife watches her sets all the time too. She wanted me to buy the R2 shoebox even though we don't have a region-free player. I'm going to have to hide this bit of news from her.
Old 08-02-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

more info
Old 08-02-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lamest double dip ever.
Old 08-02-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's in the top ten lamest, anyway... wow.

I'd feel better with confirmation/news that the terrible transfers (especially for the earlier seasons) have been improved.
Old 08-02-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
It's in the top ten lamest, anyway... wow.

I'd feel better with confirmation/news that the terrible transfers (especially for the earlier seasons) have been improved.

Doesn't sound like it, since it refers to "19 previously released discs".
Old 08-02-05, 04:14 PM
Banned

Are they at least combining Season 6 Pasrt 1 and Season 6 part 2 into one Complete Season?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.