Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Heat: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Preston Jones's DVD review of Heat: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14455 and...
i could not disagree more with his assessment of disc 1. Shows you how good these reviewers are. Anyone with an untrained eye could see that the transfer of the film is basically exactly the same as the earlier edition. No upgrade at all. Infact if you want to get technical, i checked out the bit rates of both film transfers and actually the earlier edition film bit rate without the audio is higher than the film bit rate without the audio of the new edition.
Clearly from watching both editions you can see the same marks and blemishes on both.
Nice try Preston but ya got it wrong. Check out ign.com's review which is spot on.
Old 02-17-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialBrew
Clearly from watching both editions you can see the same marks and blemishes on both.
All that means is that they both used the same source material... it doesn't mean that the transfers were identical. Which, obviously they weren't, since you say the bit rates differ.

I haven't gotten the new one yet to do a comparison, but I've read several posts (here and at HTF) that say that there are slight differences between the video on these two editions. And that the new one looks a tiny bit sharper in some scenes. That seems pretty much in line with the review. The reviewer didn't claim that this was a major improvement or a full-on remastering. He just said that it "looks somewhat better than its previous DVD incarnation."

That seems to be an accurate statement, from what I've heard of the disc.
Old 02-17-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Shows you how good these reviewers are.
Welcome to DVD Talk!
Old 02-17-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I find it hard to argue with someone who doesn't capitalize the letter "i" when using it to begin a sentence.
Old 02-17-05, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by automator
I find it hard to argue with someone who doesn't capitalize the letter "i" when using it to begin a sentence.

The sentence actually begins with "I read Preston Holmes review". As you can clearly see in the post above the I is in fact capitalized. I find it hard to respond to a dolt whose only method of discourse is to try and wrongly correct grammer errors on a web site message board.
Old 02-17-05, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
He just said that it "looks somewhat better than its previous DVD incarnation."

That seems to be an accurate statement, from what I've heard of the disc.

Well it is in fact not an accurate statement. If you look around the net at the reviews coming in, many are stating what is obvious to most eyes which is the transfer is not any better but in fact that same exact transfer. The inference that the DVDTALK reviewer was trying to make was that it is a noticeable difference which is clearly wrong.When you get the new one have a look for yourself, hopefully as i have, on a widescreen HD set. What i was trying to point out about the bit rate comparisons is that surprisingly the bit rate of the early edition is higher than the special edition. The difference in numbers there is marginal. I think its a bit rate difference of about 100 mbs. My overall point and disgust is with Warners that they did not take this opportunity to upgrade the print transfer for this special edition. This film is only 10 years old and deserves better
Old 02-17-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i could not disagree more with his assessment of disc 1. Shows you how good these reviewers are.

No upgrade at all. Infact if you want to get technical, i checked out the bit rates of both film transfers and actually the earlier edition film bit rate without the audio is higher than the film bit rate without the audio of the new edition.
Here are 2 more spots of the "i".

Did you write the review at IGN.com? Since you said that you compared the two movies.
Old 02-17-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And who's Preston Holmes?
Old 02-17-05, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Here are 2 more spots of the "i".

Did you write the review at IGN.com? Since you said that you compared the two movies.

Hahahaha this is getting laughable. Is everyone on here 12 years old. Dolt #2 if you had actually read the post from dolt #1, the first I you mention was the one this moron was talking about. As for the second I, it is not the beginning of the sentence. Dummies. As for the IGN.com review, no I did not write that. I have no affiliation to it at all.
Old 02-17-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it is in fact not an accurate statement. If you look around the net at the reviews coming in, many are stating what is obvious to most eyes which is the transfer is not any better but in fact that same exact transfer.
Really? Well, then you had better go to the following sites:

http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?ReviewID=4252
http://www.dvdtown.com/review/heatsp...on/13815/2689/
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...1/heat_se.html

and insult their reviewers too. Since they all agree that there are slight video improvement in this (new) transfer.
Old 02-17-05, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by soonercineaste
And who's Preston Holmes?
Yes that was a mistake on my part. Preston Holmes is in fact a very well known producer in the movie business. He has produced most or all of Spike Lee's films as well as a number of others. I would think you might have some idea of who he is, Mr Jones. Then again, with your review of Heat, it seems I may be giving you more credit than you deserve.
Old 02-17-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is everyone on here 12 years old.
Well, it looks as if at least one of us is...

Dolt... dolt... Dummies...
I suggest you catch yourself up on the rules of this site about personal attacks, unless you would like your first day here to be your last. Given your constructive and helpful posts so far, you will clearly be missed.
Old 02-17-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SpecialBrew

I find it hard to respond to a dolt whose only method of discourse is to try and wrongly correct grammer errors on a web site message board.
Grammer?

Sincerely yours,
12-year-old Dolt #3
Old 02-17-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think you might have some idea of who he is, Mr Jones. Then again, with your review of Heat, it seems I may be giving you more credit than you deserve.
Ooohhh.....snap!

The sentence actually begins with "I read Preston Holmes review". As you can clearly see in the post above the I is in fact capitalized. I find it hard to respond to a dolt whose only method of discourse is to try and wrongly correct grammer errors on a web site message board.
My mistake. Your actual errors in grammar were completely different from the errors that i accused you of. i stand corrected.

Let me also welcome you to the site. There are several other DVDTalk reviewers for you to insult. Have fun!

In light of my mistake, please change my username to dolt#1. The dolt that started it all.

Last edited by automator; 02-17-05 at 02:53 PM. Reason: snap!
Old 02-17-05, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Really? Well, then you had better go to the following sites:

http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?ReviewID=4252
http://www.dvdtown.com/review/heatsp...on/13815/2689/
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...1/heat_se.html

and insult their reviewers too. Since they all agree that there are slight video improvement in this (new) transfer.

I have read all those reviews and they are just patently wrong. I do not need to go to each of those sites and claim that. The difference here is that this reviewer, in my opinion, was making the difference out to be much bigger than these others have. The dvdauthority review is just false. The bit rate is not higher on the special edition. Go check it out for yourself. That reviewer did not and specifically states that it looks as if its higher. Well, it is not. I think Richard Pryor's classic statement fits well here. "Who ya gonna believe, me or your lying eyes" As for the dvdtown review, I believe the reviewer was saying there is little difference between the 2. Finally the dvdfile review states that the telecine transfer for the special edition is a tiny upgrade from the earlier one. Look, don't take my word for it. Get both and do a check for yourself. The exact same instances of dirt and debris and worn show up in the same places on both transfers. I could now post other reviews that agree with what i am saying but I won't. I stand firmly behind my statements with actual fact behind it. The bigger issue is that even if it was a tiny bit better than the earlier version it still is far and away a disservice to a purportedly special edition of a great film.
Old 02-17-05, 02:56 PM

Wow I thought you were going to talk about HEAT and not grammar and personal attacks; I was wrong. Look, if you disagree with the review you can kindly submit your opinion but to call everyone a "Dolt" not only makes you sound like a snobby Englishman with a stick up your ass but also a total fool. Go post on IGN cuz apparently they appeal more to your taste than a DVD-based sight does.

Yeh I did say cuz you prick. Peeeeeeeace......
Old 02-17-05, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Grammer?

Sincerely yours,
12-year-old Dolt #3
Pardon me, I tend to type very fast and sometimes make some errors. I am sure you never make these mistakes. What a genius you are to stand there and point out every single typing error without offering anything intelligent to say about the topic at hand.
Old 02-17-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
So, yeah. This thread's closed.

You're under no obligation to agree with DVD Talk's reviewers, but these sorts of insults aren't acceptable.