Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cure MTV Icon This weekend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was browsing the TIVO listings for MTV2 and it says the Cure Icon show will be on Sat at 6pm Pacific time before Headbangers Ball.

I heard this was shown in Europe but this only runs for an hour on MTV2 and I think it is a condensed version since most Icon shows are 2 hours.
Old 02-16-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Back when I liked The Cure in the early '80s, MTV never even came close to playing them (I guess it'd be out of place next to a Lionel Ritchie video), but now they're giving them an Icon show? Fuck MTV. Fuck 'em right in the ear!
Old 02-16-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many of these Icon shows are there anyway? I only remember seeing Janet Jackson and Aerosmith.
Old 02-16-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
How many of these Icon shows are there anyway? I only remember seeing Janet Jackson and Aerosmith.

I think they are once a year.

Last year, I believe, was Metallica
Old 02-18-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
I was browsing the TIVO listings for MTV2 and it says the Cure Icon show will be on Sat at 6pm Pacific time before Headbangers Ball.

I heard this was shown in Europe but this only runs for an hour on MTV2 and I think it is a condensed version since most Icon shows are 2 hours.
I downloaded this off A Chain of Flowers when it first aired in Europe and it seemed kinda short.
Old 02-19-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. It was a nice trip down memory lane despite:

1) the presence of Marilyn Manson (very annoying)
2) it reminded me why I hate MTV programming - for the whole show, I don't think any camera shot lasted for more than 5 seconds

Originally Posted by slop101
Back when I liked The Cure in the early '80s, MTV never even came close to playing them (I guess it'd be out of place next to a Lionel Ritchie video), but now they're giving them an Icon show? Fuck MTV. Fuck 'em right in the ear!
I remember seeing them a lot on "120 Minutes" and sometimes sneaking into normal hours ("Friday I'm in Love"), but that was in the late 80s to mid 90s. I don't see a problem with MTV giving them a tribute show, since they have influenced a lot of artists.

I would've never guessed that they influenced De La Soul.
Old 02-22-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decent show, although the live acts weren't really all that inspired in my opinion.

My big beef was that during the interviews with various music personalities, the MTV2 logo covered up the people's names, so a lot of times I had no idea who it was that was speaking.
Old 02-22-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
who was on this thing?