Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any DRUMMERS out there?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any DRUMMERS out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any DRUMMERS out there?

Just getting back into it after about 18 years. I've been playing along to some acoustic stuff on my iPod, anyone have any other good recommendations for tracks to play along to? I was hoping to find some tunes or a CD online that is missing the drum track.

thanks!
Old 02-15-05, 12:26 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I play drums, but fortunately I've usually had a band with whom to practice.

There used to be a series of books for rhythm sections that had rhythms or grooves in various genres (R & B, reggae, funk, whatever) and had typical drum and bass parts for those genres. They came with a CD which would have practice tracks, with first the bass part then the drum part removed. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Old 02-15-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, no band to jam with here. I'm so dang rusty anyhow.

By the way, where is the smartest city in Ohio? Cause I'm up in the borderline retarded section of the state.

Thanks for the lead on the CD, I'll probably pick up a book
Old 02-15-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Been a while since I've played, but I usually liked to play along to Stevie Ray Vaughan or ZZ Top (the older stuff, of course).
Old 02-16-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heavywear
yeah, no band to jam with here. I'm so dang rusty anyhow.

By the way, where is the smartest city in Ohio? Cause I'm up in the borderline retarded section of the state.

What city/area are you near?

I went by a very good drum store last week. Looking to get a junior set for my about to be two-year-old that is obsessed with drumming and seems to have some skills.
Old 02-16-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm up near fabulous Toledo...and I would HIGHLY recommend a digital set for a 2-year old. (I have 5 and 7 year olds myself) Letting them drum with headphones on is GREAT!

I have a pro Roland digital setmyself and love it. I come home from work at 12:30 am and can blast away while everyone sleeps. 100 drum kits in one and my iPod plugs right in to play along to. very fun! Got mine from a Guitar Center (who matched web prices by the way plus no tax)
Old 02-16-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Been a while since I've played, but I usually liked to play along to Stevie Ray Vaughan or ZZ Top (the older stuff, of course).
I have some "unplugged" Stevie that I've been playing to - good stuff!
Old 02-16-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by heavywear
I'm up near fabulous Toledo...and I would HIGHLY recommend a digital set for a 2-year old. (I have 5 and 7 year olds myself) Letting them drum with headphones on is GREAT!

I have a pro Roland digital setmyself and love it. I come home from work at 12:30 am and can blast away while everyone sleeps. 100 drum kits in one and my iPod plugs right in to play along to. very fun! Got mine from a Guitar Center (who matched web prices by the way plus no tax)

Digital eh? Never thought about that. It would be quieter for us and take up less room. Any brand you recommend? Don't know about prices, but are the cheapest worthless?
Old 02-16-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just thinking that the set will pretty much be a toy. I would think that something like the Yamaha dd-50 pad or similar would be cool for him. A full Roland set that you could bang on too would run you $800
Old 02-16-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The drum store had a bass, two tom, one cymbal kit for just under $100 that they said would be good for a few years. The heads can be replaced.

I'm checking out the Yamaha site. I see they have a 20, 35 and 55 series. He's so young he'd probably hit the control area just to see what happens and then break it.
Old 02-17-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
The drum store had a bass, two tom, one cymbal kit for just under $100 that they said would be good for a few years.
thats probably your best bet then..you'll just have to learn to love the "practicing"
Old 02-17-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've played drums for about 6 years. I play a Premier Signia 8 piece (double bass) and use Sabian cymbals. I've been taking lessons from a guy who broke the record for World's Fastest Drummer. He also has a steady jazz gig in Georgetown (DC). I've been in a band for about a year and will be recording within the coming months.