Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do The Grammys Matter?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do The Grammys Matter?

Old 02-13-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Do The Grammys Matter?

Not really sure if they ever did, actually? It seemed like they were SO square for so long, making such hideously inappropriate choices (Can't Slow Down over Purple Rain and Born In The USA), that when they did fall ass-backwards into a deserving award (like The Joshua Tree's Album Of The Year award in 1987), we roundly applauded. What else needs to be said about a major award that now has aa "blue-ribbon" panel to make sure the major award nominees aren't an embarasment?

This year, I'll be rooting for Green Day, but not too optomistic about them in the major catagories (though American Idiot is clearly the best song of the five ROTY nominees).

I have a feeling that this year will be a Ray Charles love-fest. (Has anyone EVER "picked" a better time to die than Ray Charles? Major bio-pick in the can and high-profile duets album about to drop. Genius indeed). I don't mind Ray winning; it's far from embarassing, but it'll be a little disappointing in the sense that it's by far the safest, most Grammy-friendly album of the bunch.

I used to get worked up about this sort of thing, but I'm over it. I'll still watch the show; the live performances are almost always pretty good. But the awards don't mean much, I think.
Old 02-13-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a feeling that Ray Charles will clean house this year at the Grammy's. When Johnny Cash died, he won a lot of those CMA, AMC, CMT (country music awards) awards (I don't know the difference between the three -- well the last one is the tv station awards).

To me, the Grammy's don't matter...A lot of great music is NEVER even nominated.
Old 02-13-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My friend asked me what i thought the odds were that American Idiot wins any of the 2 major awards and I said probably about 10,000 to 1. Its too bad because its a great album that I don't think has been recognized by many yet.
Old 02-13-05, 04:04 PM

"Who gives a ***** about a goddamn Grammy?" - Chuck D
Old 02-13-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Grammys have no matter to what I listen to or what I find "popular". Hopefully this is the same for everyone.

This is the same for all awards show.
Old 02-13-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
We had fame and fortune. Now all we needed was the approval of record comapny lowlives. - Homer Simpson
Old 02-13-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I have a feeling that this year will be a Ray Charles love-fest. (Has anyone EVER "picked" a better time to die than Ray Charles? Major bio-pick in the can and high-profile duets album about to drop. Genius indeed). I don't mind Ray winning; it's far from embarassing, but it'll be a little disappointing in the sense that it's by far the safest, most Grammy-friendly album of the bunch.
That's one thing I don't like about award shows. I love Ray Charles, but it's not like he doesn't already have multiple Grammys. He's been honored. There are other deserving artists.

They matter to some folks, I guess. Just look at the post-Grammy sales bounce that some artists get.
Old 02-13-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
The only function the Grammy's have nowadays is too give a sales boost to whichever album and or artists win awards the next two weeks or so.
Old 02-13-05, 09:43 PM
Banned

Man, what is up with Bono tonight. He sounds like shit.
Old 02-13-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aww The Grammy's. A show to remind me why I hate "popular" music.
Old 02-13-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well if the grammys ever mattered, they don't anymore

cause they just gave John Mayer Song Of the Year for that pile DAWTAS.
Old 02-13-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience

And Hoobastank was nominated? What the fuck?
Old 02-13-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no.
Old 02-13-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience

Cool. I like John Mayer.
Old 02-13-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
And Hoobastank was nominated? What the fuck?

I would have picked that pile over the watery pile DAWTAS anyday.
Old 02-13-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Cool. I like John Mayer.
That was a great joke!
Old 02-13-05, 10:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The only function the Grammy's have nowadays is too give a sales boost to whichever album and or artists win awards the next two weeks or so.
Bingo.

The Grammys are good for that, and losing any interest in Kanye West.
Old 02-13-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Grammy's were tonight?
Old 02-13-05, 11:51 PM

my thoughts on the show

The J-Lo / Mark Anthony duet was a big letdown. I thought this was supposed to be the big performance everyone would be talking about tomorrow. It almost put me to sleep it dragged on so long.

The southern rock tribute was one of the highlights for me. It was great to see Elvin Bishop up there. He's a very underrated guitarist IMO. He and Keith Urban worked well together. I also liked Bonnie Raitt and Billy Preston's tribute to Ray Charles. It was simple yet very moving.

It was good to see Melissa Etheridge doing well after her cancer treatments. At first I was wondering why she was rocking the Sinead look, but then I realized it was from the chemo. She and Joss Stone were great during the Janis tribute. I'm sure they'll be hoarse later though.

Kanye West is talented, but he comes off as a pompous ass everytime he accepts an award. Yes, it may be your moment, as you tell us, but hopefully it will be over soon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head at the John Mayer win. "Daughters" is the best song of the whole year?

Nice to see Green Day and U2 both win, even if it was just in the rock categories. Now I know why Bono is the mouth of the group. The other guys seem pretty shy and low-key.

Maroon 5 - Best New Artist? I'm not really sure about that one, but hopefully the "kiss of death" adage is still in effect. I kid.

Best moment of the night: Jack White looking totally whipped on stage with Loretta Lynn. "Yes, ma'am!"

Last edited by gnradd21; 02-14-05 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-13-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How I'll remember this Grammys...

Old 02-14-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One word......Predictable!!!!!!!....Note to self, if I want to win a grammy, release an album, then die.......it always works (no disrespect to ray charles) but it always works!
Old 02-14-05, 01:49 AM

I predicted a Grammy love fest for Ray and as usual the Grammys deliver. The show was pretty good. I really loved Alicia Keys performance, both solo and then with Jamie Foxx. He CAN sing as well as play the piano. I'm cool with him getting the Oscar now.
for ME and Joss Stone. Glad to see Melissa is holding up well. The opening wasn't bad either (especially Franz Ferdinand). Overall a good show with no deserving nominee going home empty-handed. (edit: except the Beasties)
Still over Maroon 5 winning; I'd pick them fifth out of the nominees (seventh if you add in not-nominated Franz Ferdinand and The Killers).
Didn't mind Daughters winning SOTY out of the nominees (though I would have picked If I Aint Got You from that group). Maybe it's the sap in me being a newish dad, but something resonates in the song for me. Weird that NONE of the five ROTY nominees were nominated for SOTY. Wonder if that has ever happened before.
For me the biggest disapointment (though not a suprise) was Here We Go Again beating out American Idiot for ROTY. The former is pretty, safe and totally predictable, the latter is fresh, gutsy and utterly brilliant. It's the Grammy voting body in a nutshell.

BTW : Larry Mullin said that they didn't think they were going to be able to play tonight. What was that about? The Edge's daughter, perhaps or something else?

Last edited by Decker; 02-14-05 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-14-05, 02:13 AM

Oh, BTW, the two most unlikely winners you didn't see tonight:

Best Spoken Word Album

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
for
Old 02-14-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This should say it all

Homer hangs up, then becomes pensive for a moment, then sighs. He seems
depressed. Room service brings him some champagne, and when he looks
for a tip, he gives the bellhop his Grammy instead. The bellhop is
excited at first, but when he sees it's a Grammy, he throws it off the
balcony in disgust. A man on the street tosses it back up, only to hit
Homer on the head.
Old 02-14-05, 05:12 AM
Banned

I remember the Grammy's Best new artist thru outthe 80's was always a good pick at the time,but then that artist would become a hasbeen.
Who was this year's Best new artist?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.