Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica is a go for season 2 - Who comes back?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best case, of course, is they hold on to all of the principles for season 2. We don't know how season 1 will shake out so some characters could be killed off. I would think that the toughest one to keep will be Mary McDonnell, simply because she's an established feature film actress who no doubt is getting offers that she's having to turn down to remain on the show. Katie Sackhoff and Tricia Helfer are bound to be getting some opportunities too. Helfer in particular since she's showing some genuine acting chops for someone who was more or less only a model prior to BSG. It's a good show and actors will sometimes stay with a good show even if it means putting off better offers for a while, so I'll say they hang on to everyone but McDonnell. Thoughts?
Old 02-12-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Well, I'll be back. I vaguely remember watching the old series, but don't remember a lot of details. I caught last nights ep and parts of previous ones, and this is an incredible step up. We just got our DVR from Comcast today and I'll be marking the older eps to record.
Old 02-12-05, 01:24 PM

Theres a little bit of info on who's coming back in this article

Sources for HNR tell us that the major cast members—including Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell—are contracted to return, though additional casting details were still being ironed out at the time of the official announcement. We can also tell you that SCI FI Channel has committed to 13 episodes, and is actually considering a 20 episode order!
Old 02-12-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course Mary McDonnell isn't a top billed actress. The only thing I remember her from is Dances With Wolves. So staying with BSG might be the best thing for her. Get her more spotlight. She'll survive her cancer somehow and be re-elected if she does stay on the show. Considering her character only gets a few scenes a show, she could be doing movies at the same time as BSG.

Has BSG been renewed or is this just a speculation thread.
Old 02-12-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like probably everyone will be back-- it's pretty common to require a 2-season contract upfront when a series starts.

I do hope they make her character & Apollo a bit easier to like. I like both performers, but neither one is very popular among the fans.
Old 02-12-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After seeing the series wrap-up, I'm wondering (if you ahven't finished all this season, through 13, DON'T LOOK)

Spoiler:
if Edward James Olmos is actually returning or not!
Old 02-12-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShagMan
After seeing the series wrap-up, I'm wondering (if you ahven't finished all this season, through 13, DON'T LOOK)
Just watched last episode tonight. I had a major

Spoiler:
HOLY CRAP moment. It was very well played it and I totally didnt see it coming. Very impressed w/ this show! I just hope EJO comes back, hes a badass mofo.
Old 02-12-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Only started watching this, and it's really pretty decent. I think the right call was made to re-start the series from scratch instead of continuing the 70s series. I'm actually quite impressed by this series.

I'd like to see Richard Hatch's character, Zarek, become a regular and play a more significant role in the series politics. Not only did Hatch give a good performance in the one episode I saw him in (and he's been such a big supporter of return of the series, albeit in its original form), but Zarek is a fascinating character.
Old 02-12-05, 10:21 PM

Hopefully with the success of the show all of the main actors will return. but (Ep 13)
Spoiler:
that was one hell of a double tap, and those rounds have been taking out cylons.
Old 02-13-05, 02:31 PM

Here's more confirmation that everyone will be back !

'Galactica' extends orbit: SCI-FI averages 3 mil viewers
By DENISE MARTIN Source: Variety

After just five episodes have aired, Sci Fi Channel has renewed fresh drama "Battlestar Galactica" for a second season.

They have already locked up the entire cast for the next cycle; air date is still to be determined.

SCI-FI has averaged more than 3 million total viewers in its Friday at 10 p.m. timeslot.

"Battlestar" has also ranked No. 1 among cable shows in adults 25-54 and men 25-54 for every week the show has been on the air.

"We all really felt there was something special about this show, that the creators delivered on their promise to take a new approach to space opera. But we honestly weren't sure if the show was going to be embraced," said exec VP of programming Mark Stern. "The show is dark and gritty and sexy and, first and foremost, a character drama. Yes, there is a lot of action, but it certainly wasn't the typical space opera our viewers expected. Thankfully, they get it and they keep showing up in big numbers."

Execs haven't determined the exact number of episodes they will order, but Stern says he'll greenlight a minimum of 13.

Most recent ratings wrangled a series-best 3.2 million viewers.

R&D TV produces "Battlestar" in association with NBC Universal Television. Ronald D. Moore and David Eick exec produce.
Old 02-13-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see it return with 13 episodes and not have them forced to pan it out to 22. Even with shows like Babylon 5, there were arc episodes and non-arc-standalone ones, and I think it's far better to make them short punchy seasons with all of it being tied together.

Besides, they could always make an Apr - Jul "series", take a break and write some more and then do a Jan - Apr series of 13 episodes each. There is no reason they need to do 1 x 22 each year when they could do 3 x 13 every two years (assuming it meant better writing by doing so).
Old 02-13-05, 07:30 PM

I would tend to agree with you,But the thing that crosses my mind is that with only 13 ep per year ,the casts paychecks would be only half of what they would be for a normal full season elsewhere & chances of them leaving for greener pastures & bigger paychecks elsewhere would be a lot greater.No idea really what all is involved here ,but just something that crossed my mind.
Old 02-13-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttiberius
I would tend to agree with you,But the thing that crosses my mind is that with only 13 ep per year ,the casts paychecks would be only half of what they would be for a normal full season elsewhere & chances of them leaving for greener pastures & bigger paychecks elsewhere would be a lot greater.No idea really what all is involved here ,but just something that crossed my mind.

The upside to that is that it gives them time to work on another project without totally abandoning the first one.

See: Gates McFadden leaving ST:TNG for the second season to appear in Hunt for Red October for all of five seconds.
Old 02-14-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamblast
Sounds like probably everyone will be back-- it's pretty common to require a 2-season contract upfront when a series starts.

I do hope they make her character & Apollo a bit easier to like. I like both performers, but neither one is very popular among the fans.
I've never heard that before. Is it because they are not always 100% sympathetic kinda like real people and not just manufactured characters on shows? I remember when Wonderfalls was on and a lot of people posted that they didnt like the main character and it was well reported that the character was to start off selfish and then "Evolve." I havent watched my DVD yet but I have a feeling that's what Moore has in mind.
If you want generic characters that never change, check out Enterprise while you still can.
Old 02-15-05, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
I'd like to see it return with 13 episodes and not have them forced to pan it out to 22. Even with shows like Babylon 5, there were arc episodes and non-arc-standalone ones, and I think it's far better to make them short punchy seasons with all of it being tied together.
A good point but the original Battlestar Galactica canon is pretty rich for a series that only ran one full season (Galactica 1980 is an insult that should be totally forgotten) and the new setup implemented thus far by Ron Moore and company has been so extraordinarily well-executed that I think the new series can really sustain a 20+ episode season with a high level of integrity. The X-Files and Buffy, the Vampire Slayer are other recent series that have pulled off 20+ ep seasons without sacrificing quality. And they didn't have external canon to draw off of.