Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

A new Doors movie needed - as a 10 part HBO miniseries

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A new Doors movie needed - as a 10 part HBO miniseries

I feel that a new Doors movie is definitely needed, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a theatrical release. In fact, I think it would suit the legacy better to have a 10-part HBO series (2 hour parts for a total of 20 hours).

Part I: Growing Up
This should include focal points in the boyhoods of Jim, Ray, Robby, and John. The Doors were, after all, a band, and equal attention should be given during these first two hours.

Jim's section should include the family's constant relocation; his relationship with Tandy Martin; his beatnik interests; his relationship with his grandparents, with whom he was left with during his early college years in Florida; his denied request to transfer to UCLA, and then going anyway.

Ray's section should include his years in Chicago and his tour in the Army

Robby's section should include...hmm. I don't know anything about him, other than the fact that he had a twin brother.

John's section...same thing as Robby.

Part II: Merging Together

This section should include how Ray and Jim met, how Robby and John were recruited, and how Jim sought approval from his father and wrote him a letter about joining a band, and his father's return letter saying that it was a "crock."

Also include how Columbia first signed The Doors, and the demo singles they recorded, and their subsequent request to be dropped from Columbia and signed to Elektra Records.

Part III: The Doors

This should include the making of the first album back in 1966, the club dates (Whisky A-Go Go), the damage in the studio Jim created the night after the stellar recording of The End.

It should also mention Jim's dislike of John Densmore - viewing John as too strait-laced for the band, and how John challenged Jim's antics (accusing Jim, in essence, of being a phony).

Part IV: Strange Days

Their rise to fame in 1967 with a hit album (The Doors) and single (Light My Fire); the summer of 1967, the tours, Ed Sullivan; the recording of their sophomore effort, "Strange Days."

How Jim's mother and brother showed up in an attempt to reunite with her son, and how Jim avoided her and ultimately declared that "he never wanted to talk or see her ever again."

Part V: Waiting For The Sun

This chock-packed period should include their only European tour, and how Jim was walking down the street with members of the Jefferson Airplane and accepting (and swallowing) any and all drugs that were offered to him from people he passed. How he wound up interrupting the Airplane during their opening act and collapsing; how Ray took over the vocals and allowed the Doors concert to be an absolute success; the bands visit to Jim in the hospital the next day, and how Jim smirked and remarked that the doctor said he was being overworked.

This should also include their failed attempt of the conceptual album, "Celebration of the Lizard," and the subsequent recording of their third album, "Waiting For The Sun." The critics bashed it as a 'sell-out,' and how at the same time it became the band's only #1 album in America.

The band's frustration with the impetuous Jim Morrison should be touched upon - John's numerous threats to quit the band, for one.

Part VI: The Soft Parade

This period should include The Smothers Brothers broadcast (late '68), and Jim's gradual evolution from Sex Symbol to Old Man of the Mountain; the recording of their fourth album, "The Soft Parade," and the many problems associated with it - namely, Jim not liking Robby's song (Tell All The People) and insisting that individual writing credits be included on the album. Hence the dissolvement of the Brotherhood.

The 1969 Miami concert needs to be included, and more in depth footage of Jim's legal problems.

The recording of his poetry; their show on PBS to promote the new album.

Part VII: Morrison Hotel

The Doors return from the slumps with a return to rock in the form of "Morrison Hotel," becoming the darling of critics once again; scenes of Jim in the courtroom, and mentions of Admiral Morrison supporting his son through a series of letters; the successful tours that started up again in the aftermath of Miami - the attempts of recording a full concert for a live album, but Rothchild having to snip from different shows to create one seemingly complete show (the 1970 album "Absolutely Live").

Part VIII: L.A. Woman

Can you fill 2 hours during this period? Perhaps all of 1971 should be used, instead of having a separate Part focusing on Jim's stay in Paris (you decide). This should include the recording of the Doors final album with Jim, "L.A. Woman," and how Paul Rothchild threw in the towel and quit as their producer.

Part IX: Paris

How Jim left America for Paris with his common-law wife, Pamela; Jim's ramblings with the underground heroin club, The Rock And Roll Circus; the death of Jim Morrison.

Part X: Recap/Aftermath

This section should sum up the years the Doors were together, and how successful they were, and what kind of impact their music had on future generations. It should be clearly stated that all of the Doors albums went Gold (something never accomplished before by an American band).

It should show how Ray, Robby, and John tried to keep the band going, and how it just wasn't the same without Jim.

Please feel free to add your own wish-list of what should be included in these parts, or if a 10-part mini-series is too much, and should be condensed.
Old 02-10-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Something needs to be said here, but all I can come up with is Wow
Old 02-10-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's The Doors? Who cares?
Old 02-10-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A New Doors movie is not needed.
Old 02-10-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
The 10th episode sounds very gratuitiouis and anti-climactic. I can't see myself tuning in next week to watch a retrospective of a story that ended last week.

I'd also want each episode to be an hour long. Two hours would be way too much, but I would be a passive viewer, not a big Doors fan.

Other than that, seems like a nice breakdown. I could see that as a nine-part series.
Old 02-10-05, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A new film on one of the most overrated bands in the history of music is not needed.