Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Immersion Technology.... this is INSANE!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-10-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found this vid (careful the domain name is www.notsafeforwork.com). It shows real time computer mapping over live video to an amazing degree. I wonder if eye-toy uses a form of this technology. Maybe revolution will use it since it seems pretty fluid from there demonstration which was shot last year.
Old 02-10-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, pretty crazy stuff. I posted this in the Revolution thread a week ago, but nobody responded. Somebody on another forum alluded to this being the Revolutions revolutionary feature.
Old 02-10-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure what to make of it. The concept is neat, but their graphics functions are really primitive. Those models are circa 1997. And there were quite a number of errors - the 3D interpolation is very hit-or-miss.

But my biggest problem is that you're really just looking at a computer screen with some marked-up images. It's not like you'd see any of this stuff in the actual 3D scene, of course.

- David Stein
Old 02-10-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

out of curiosity, how does the linked website know what city I live in? (scroll to the ads)
Old 02-10-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by RoQuEr
out of curiosity, how does the linked website know what city I live in? (scroll to the ads)
Probably has something to do with your ISP. I see ads on pages that know my city and after I changed ISP's the name of the city changed.
Old 02-11-05, 02:00 AM
ams

That site dropped some wicked spyware that seemed to constantly link to their site. It would send a capture of the screen every few minutes. I had to run multiple scans to remove it......thanks.
Old 02-11-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was really cool.

This is still very new technology and is no where near being perfect yet. Give it some time. I must say that it is really innovative.
Old 02-11-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I must say that it is really innovative.
It's a neat concept, but I think it has a good chance of going the way of many other "neat concepts" - it's only interesting as a demo. Real-world applications are probably kind of sparse, because in the end, you still have to look at a computer screen.

- David Stein
Old 02-12-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
It's a neat concept, but I think it has a good chance of going the way of many other "neat concepts" - it's only interesting as a demo. Real-world applications are probably kind of sparse, because in the end, you still have to look at a computer screen.
Now if they can give you some VR goggles, and you can see the real world as well as the mapped in objects, then you're looking at some really cool tech.
Old 02-12-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein

I would tend to agree from a logistics standpoint. However, at my university we have just spent millions on a VR room in which a person can stand in and influence objects that are being projected on to a wall. The idea is that architects, doctors, engineers, etc can use the technology to quickly render and manipulate ideas in a whole new way.

From what I saw in the video, this technology does most of this million dollar room does without being intrusive (no 3d head wear, could be setup in any office, etc.) So I do see it finding many uses in those markets.
Old 02-12-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty cool technology. Here's hoping we get VR videogames before I die
Old 02-13-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I viewed it when it was in the Nintendo thread. Pretty cool, but not quite sure what to make of it as far as games go.