Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw a preview showing of CONSTANTINE last night

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw a preview showing of CONSTANTINE last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaiman on Moore and Constantine

From Gaiman's blog: http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/journal.asp

Oh, it's true that Alan's rejected the money for CONSTANTINE and assigned it to his cocreators, but he's now done that for all films of his and things he's done that might one day be filmed. This was because he was deeply hurt and offended and irritated by being accused in the Larry Cohen lawsuit of having written League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as some kind of studio shill, and because Alan never does anything by halves. Up until the lawsuit his position was that he didn't care about the films people made from his work, but was happy to cash the cheques; after, he decided that he didn't even want to cash the cheques. His share of Constantine was redistributed among his co-creators, John Totleben, Steve Bissette and Rick Veitch and to Jamie Delano and John Ridgway.

As far as I know, from having spoken to him, Alan's view on Constantine itself is the same as his view on From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which is that he'll probably rent the DVD one day, you never know, hell might freeze over, -- and that the important work is the comic -- the main difference being here that the film is, from what I understand, mostly based on the Garth Ennis and Jamie Delano issues of the Hellblazer comic.

(And, for whatever remains of the record, Alan hasn't seen anything of Constantine -- no scripts, no nothing. Nor has he had any contact with DC on it except for asking Karen Berger to redistribute the money and the credit.)

I tend to feel that the filmmakers started with two strikes against them, simply by casting Keanu Reeves instead of, say, Jude Law, but everything I've heard since has been encouraging, so while I'll be sitting in the cinema with my arms folded and an "okay, convince me" attitude, I'll at least be going to see it."
Old 03-22-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Gotta admire Moore's integrity.

His share of Constantine was redistributed among his co-creators, John Totleben, Steve Bissette and Rick Veitch and to Jamie Delano and John Ridgway
I understand Bissette and Totleben getting some cash out of this because they were the artists on Swamp Thing when Moore introduced the Constantine character (and Veitch kind of, too) and thus "co-creators", but Delano and Ridgway? Hmmm, I know that Delano helped flesh out the character in the Hellblazer series and maybe some of the film is based on his stories, but if he deserves a cut because of this, Garth Ennis does too.

"while I'll be sitting in the cinema with my arms folded and an "okay, convince me" attitude, I'll at least be going to see it."
I'm with Neil on this one.

Last edited by cultshock; 03-22-04 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Constantine trailer

Here's the new Constantine trailer with Keanu in all formats Despite all the prerelease bashing it seems to be getting I think it looks to have some genuinely creepy looky scenes in it. Here's hoping.
Old 05-14-04, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Looks cool
Old 05-14-04, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks like Van Helsing meets The Matrix.

I'm sorry, but just can't take Keanu "Whoa" Reeves seriously in dramatic roles.
Old 05-14-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I'm sorry, but I've been a huge fan of the comic and the character for years. Keanu just doesn't seem anything like John Constantine to me. It looks like a fairly cool film, but not a Constantine film.
Old 05-14-04, 01:17 PM

I wasn't aware of this film even being in production, let alone any pre-release bashing. Why? According to the trailer, it looks like it could be fun. At least the preview looks a HELL of a lot better than the one for Van Helsing. And barely any CGI in this teaser. Keanu looks solid, but Rachel could be annoying.

Although, if you hate The Matrix and/or Keanu, you probably won't like this either. Best to stay away and let those of us who enjoy that kind of stuff see for ourselves if it's worth watching or not.
Old 05-14-04, 01:23 PM

Looks good to me!
Old 05-14-04, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Looks great. Keanu + crazy theme = I'm there.
Old 05-14-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cultshock
I'm sorry, but I've been a huge fan of the comic and the character for years. Keanu just doesn't seem anything like John Constantine to me.

Same here, Hellblazer is one of my all-time favorite comics & it kills me when they massacre source material like this. And I'm one of the rare Keanu fans, I really like the guy, but he is NOT Constantine. I've always said that the PERFECT guy to play the part is Dennis Leary. And worste than Keanu to me, is the fact that that the movie will be PG-13. The comic is as dark, twisted & peverse as any comic every made.

I'll still see it though. I'll see anything Rachiel Wiesz is in.

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-14-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by necros
Looks cool
Sure does. I'm there.
Old 05-14-04, 03:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Looks like Van Helsing meets The Matrix.

exactly, and my intial reaction to the trailer was "oh brother"
Old 05-14-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Whose retarded idea was it to get Reeves and have it take place in the States? Half the appeal of Hellblazer is it's Britishness - Constantine needs to be a British "bloke" and it needs to take place in London. Otherwise, it's like having Lawrence of Arabia be a Texan, and having it take place in Death Valley.
Old 05-14-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, its happening this way so all you can do is see how it finally turns out, at least give it a chance.
Old 05-14-04, 06:02 PM
Banned

very cool...all over this one!
Old 05-14-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also a fan of the character, even since before he had his own title. So yeah, I was peeved when they made these fundamental changes to the character, and cast one of the worst lead actors possible. Therefore, I've decided this film is simply "inspired by" the character, rather than a big screen adaptation of the comic book, and now I look forward to seeing it.
Old 05-14-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh Dear Lord!

What have I done to deserve this????

At least Alan Moore has completely washed his hands of this one. Upset over the casting and changes made to the story, he is giving all royalties to original Constantine artists Rick Veitch and Steve Bissette.
Old 05-14-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, I was getting my hopes up until the very last shot.
Old 05-14-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Looks really cool - now I'm excited - my cousin did stunts and rigging for this film and when he told me about it I thought it sounded stupid... now I can't wait to see it.
Old 05-14-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally I've never read the Hellblazer comic so whatever changes they made don't bother me. And keanu...well...this type of comic action stuff he does quite well in imo.

But that preview looks solid...but it could go either way...looks like an end of days type movie, but hopefully it's better than that.
Old 05-15-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know anything about the comic, but i thought the trailer looked pretty cool. But i'm a bit biased as a Keanu fan
Old 05-15-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I've never read the Hellblazer comic so whatever changes they made don't bother me.
then perhaps this same view should be used with Catwoman. The only difference with these two comic to films is that everyone knows catwomans story, not everyone knows John constatine's.

It really throws me off that they couldn't find a british fellow to do the film. I actually enjoy Keanu's work. But this is not a role he should have been placed in. Not because of his "typical bad acting" reasons, but because he is not british, not matching on any of the looks and doesn't have the same delivery that john should have.
Old 05-15-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had no idea what this movie was until seeing the trailer today in front of Troy. Its looks WEIRD! I will check it out.
Old 05-15-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, even if you knew or didnt know anything about Catwoman you can easily see the costume is horrendous.
Old 05-15-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Didn't they origially want STING to play John C.?

I'm a big fan of John C from way back and when I heard Reeves was in the re I was kinda concerned. But who knows, maybe he's good in the roll?

Cruise ended making a great Vampire Lestst although at first Anne Rice didn't want him in the role. She later came around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.