Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

UNDERRATED TV Shows on Currently

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 08:06 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
UNDERRATED TV Shows on Currently

To me Still Standing stands out. Hardly a mention of it but it's friggin hilarious! The last episode with the parents drinking at the Sober Bowl party was very funny. I love the two lead actors even though they are sometimes a tad predictable.

I think the Post Ritter 8 Simple Rules is also underrated, they have really reimaged things well and James Garner and David Spade fit right in and everyone bounces off each other comidically very well.
Old 02-06-05, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 words-
Black Books

Catch it on BBC America

If you like british comedy- I think you will really get into this show.
Old 02-06-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Wire" is ALWAYS underrated.
Old 02-06-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People seem to really hate on Everybody Loves Raymond, but I really enjoy the show. Sure its not innovative or daring, but its a solid 22 minutes of sitcom.
Old 02-06-05, 10:05 PM

Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Da Ali G Show
Penn & Teller BS
Stargate Atlantis

Last edited by mikeporter; 02-06-05 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Scrubs should be doing a lot LOT better in "ratings"
Old 02-06-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

House. I love this show. I keep expecting it to go down hill because it is pretty repetitive in formula. However, the writing is unbelievably sharp and the lead character is just pure enjoyment.
Old 02-06-05, 11:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Still Standing
Gilmore Girls
The Wire
Rescue Me
Old 02-06-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dave-o
House. I love this show. I keep expecting it to go down hill because it is pretty repetitive in formula. However, the writing is unbelievably sharp and the lead character is just pure enjoyment.
My pick as well.

And Everybody Loves Raymond? That's a pretty darn big stretch as an "underrated" show considering its longevity and success.
Old 02-06-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jack & Bobby is my favorite little-seen show. Excellent cast, and the tie-in between the themes of the present storyline and the future interview snippets are wonderfully written. (Though it was not present in this past episode, it would be a shame if they decided to do away with it.)
Old 02-07-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
The King of Queens

Yes, it's just your standard husband vs wife sitcom scenario, but it is laugh out loud funny just about every week.
Old 02-07-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
OK some of you are piqueing my curiosity: I've never seen "House", what's the premise and when/where is it on?
Old 02-07-05, 02:19 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
OK some of you are piqueing my curiosity: I've never seen "House", what's the premise and when/where is it on?
http://www.tvtome.com/House/

It's on Tuesday after American Idol at 9:00EST
Old 02-07-05, 03:08 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Scrubs should be doing a lot LOT better in "ratings"
True, but if you're going by what the average person watches, then just about every good show is underrated. I usually determine if something is underrated based on the views of real fans of the medium.

In that case, the 2 most underrated shows on TV are Real World/Road Rules Challenge and One Tree Hill. RW/RR has really been impressing me by continuing to come up with new, interesting challenges this past season. Also, the personal drama is usually more entertaining to me on this show than what you get on Survivor or TAR.

While I love life as we know it and The OC, they're both almost comedies. Even though I'm glad OTH has added some comedy this season, the show is primarily a drama and there's not enough true dramas on TV. I think OTH may be the best soap I've ever seen. Even though all the plot twists can be unbelievable, the show is always well-made and entertaining.

Oh, I just thought of another one, but I don't think underrated is quite the word for it. For some reason, I seem to be the only person who really likes Super Milk Chan. It goes beyond underrated to something more like wrongly hated. I can definitely see how personal taste plays a big part in what you feel about SMC, but that's true for all of the AS comedies. I don't see how people who love ATHF or Sealab can hate SMC so much. The thing that impresses me the most about SMC is the voice acting. I'm sure a lot of people hate it for that very reason. Personally, I can imagine it'd be really hard to translate Japanese humor to America and I've seen it done badly so many times that I'm really impressed with how good a job they've done with SMC. I think SMC is the only really funny anime I've ever seen.
Old 02-07-05, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
American Dreams
Veronica Mars
The OC
Scrubs
Life as we know it RIP
Tru Calling RIP
Everwood
One Tree Hill
Jack and Bobby
Malcolm in the middle

Last edited by lwhy?; 02-07-05 at 01:58 PM. Reason: to add Jack and Bobby and Malcolm in the Middle
Old 02-07-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started watching a couple of sitcoms that I never watched before this season, and found them to be not half bad. Those were Two and a Half Men, Still Standing, and According To Jim. I tried a couple of more, but they didn't take, like Committed and Listen Up.

The King of Queens has been one of my favorite shows for a few years now, but lately it is very hit and miss.
Old 02-07-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The wife and I watch Still Standing if we are at home and there isn't anything else on, but we are not at the point where we record it yet.
Old 02-07-05, 08:10 AM
Banned

Mythbusters is pretty entertaining.
Old 02-07-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond

I think the Post Ritter 8 Simple Rules is also underrated, they have really reimaged things well and James Garner and David Spade fit right in and everyone bounces off each other comidically very well.
I only watched a few episodes with John Ritter but with Spade & Garner, it's now a must-watch for me.

Another vote for Veronica Mars. Hopefully the ratings are decent.

Third Watch is another show that's been on for several years, but you rarely hear anything about it. I just started watching sometime last season.
Old 02-07-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Third Watch is another show that's been on for several years, but you rarely hear anything about it. I just started watching sometime last season.
I've been watching since Season 2 when Bobby Cannavale was still on - Great show. Too bad they phased out the fire department, but it is still good.

The producers are not afraid to kill off or get rid off a character or two per season. Some characters I miss, some I don't. I am happy as hell that they got rid of Yokas's husband, he was annoying the shit out of me the last few years.
Old 02-07-05, 08:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Carnivale.

EW recently gave season 2 a C-.
Old 02-07-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
King of the Hill. It's been on for years now, but you never hear anything about it. I think it's still very funny.
Old 02-07-05, 09:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
King of the Hill. It's been on for years now, but you never hear anything about it. I think it's still very funny.
Hey, good choice. It's one of the most consistantly good shows on television.
Old 02-07-05, 10:01 AM

Malcolm in the Middle (ironically the new Entertainment Weekly also makes its point) is having a great season, and no one ever talks about it anymore. I think some people that just see this as a kids show have no idea how warped and clever this show has become.
Old 02-07-05, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Malcolm is another good choice.

What's interesting is how Hal has grown from a background character in the first season or so, to becoming the centerpiece of the funniest episodes.

One reason you don't hear alot about King of the Hill and Malcolm in the Middle is because these shows are prempted by football for half their season in most areas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.