Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wolfgang remakes Poseiden adventure for summer 2006...why?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1695&p=.htm

So, apparently Wolfgang's next movie is a Poseidon Adventure remake. I...think that's a terrible idea. Fortunately, it'll be opening up head to head with XMen 3 in 2006, so I'll have something good to watch. And looks like they have a firm date for Superman with 4th of July weekend 2006.

But still, back to the upside down boat, why even bother? Is this story really even that interesting? Is a Poseidon Adventure movie worth having without Gene Hackman and a drunken Shelly Winters? I don't know...water logged luxury boat movies don't really seem like a genre that people really care about. Titanic was a great film, but I don't think the public has been dying for another boat movie. And after Speed 2 and Deep Rising (and of course the original Poseidon Adventure), there just isn't much left on a luxury boat to really tell a disaster story about. Who knows, but I don't see this being an instant blockbuster.
Old 02-06-05, 10:12 PM
Banned

Looks like they want to cash in on the fact that a tidal wave hits the boat.
I guess they figure the public wants to see a tidal wave, because of Dec. 2004 tidal wave disaster.
Old 02-07-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is also a mini-series that the Hallmark Channel is doing for TV this summer, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419358/, though I don't know if the all-star cast of Steve Guttenberg, Adam Baldwin, and Rutger Hauer is going to do much for this one.
Old 02-07-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
who is wolfgang? am I supposed to know?
Old 02-07-05, 02:47 AM

Wolfgang Peterson. Director of Troy, Air Force One, Perfect Storm, Outbreak, Das Boot. For those that don't know.
Old 02-07-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh. I thought Wolfgang Puck was making the leap to directing.
Old 02-07-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The miniseries could be a fun watch actually, though I'm not a Guttenberg fan. As for Wolfgang doing a remake for the big screen......I'm happy with the Hackman/Borgnine version.
Old 02-07-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel the same way about the upcoming "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I may not like much of Gene Wilder's work when not paired with Richard Pryor (aren't there some films where he is supposed to be "sexy" ), but I'm not sure that role can be improved, even by Depp.

RE: Poseidon, I wouldn't mind a return to 70's mega-disaster films. Not like the dreck that we have been spoonfed lately from Deep Impact to Day After Tomorrow. Heck, I probably liked Die Hard 2 because it reminded me of how I enjoyed the "Airport" movies.
Old 02-07-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightmaster
The miniseries could be a fun watch actually, though I'm not a Guttenberg fan.
Well, I might be working on it, so if it is any good, I'll let everyone know, so they can watch it.
Old 02-07-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
I'm not a Guttenberg fan.
Is there such a thing?
Old 02-07-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fox Movie Channel had a contest/poll last year: "If you were to remake 'The Poseidon Adventure', who would you cast?"

I have my answers saved somewhere...
Old 02-07-05, 12:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
I may not like much of Gene Wilder's work when not paired with Richard Pryor (aren't there some films where he is supposed to be "sexy"
not that i've seen. ref?
Old 02-07-05, 12:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
There is also a mini-series that the Hallmark Channel is doing for TV this summer, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419358/, though I don't know if the all-star cast of Steve Guttenberg, Adam Baldwin, and Rutger Hauer is going to do much for this one.
Wow! It's like 1986-7 at the video store! Steve (Police Academy) Guttenberg, Rutger (The Hitcher) Hauer... this also stars Hauer's Hitcher co-star C Thomas (Soul Man) Howell, Bryan (f/x) Brown, and Peter (Robocop) Weller!
Old 02-07-05, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon

RE: Poseidon, I wouldn't mind a return to 70's mega-disaster films. Not like the dreck that we have been spoonfed lately from Deep Impact to Day After Tomorrow. Heck, I probably liked Die Hard 2 because it reminded me of how I enjoyed the "Airport" movies.
Having seen The Perfect Storm, I don't expect Peterson to really make anything better than Deep Impact or DAT, to be honest. And quite frankly, James Cameron already made, imo, quite an excellent cruise ship disaster movie.
Old 02-07-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
ahh... director of das boot. Then people should be excited about this, right? I didn't like Titanic and the original PA was only marginally good IMO. I do think there's enough there to make a decent flick, but it'll be difficult to milk the tension of having to get to this deck and that deck and the next as water keeps flooding you out of where you are. Been done alot alot alot.
Old 02-07-05, 08:45 PM
Banned

I wonder if it'll have the balls to have anything like the scene at the end where the Main Hero curses God then gives his life so the rest could survive.
Old 02-08-05, 12:08 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I rewatched the Original Poseiden adventure a few weeks ago. Definitely one of my favourite disaster films ever !

NO ONE will ever be able to replace Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgine and a young Pamela Sue Martin

Great great movie, remake isn't needed but i'd watch it
Old 02-08-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Eventually every profitable film released before 1980 will be re-made by Hollywood so this film comes as no surprise.

What surprises me is when Hollywwod makes an original film, now that's a rarity!
Old 02-08-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Is there such a thing?
In rural America the answer is unfortunately yes.
Old 06-06-05, 11:08 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
'Poseidon' remake lines up cast

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- After a long search, Wolfgang Petersen finally has a crew for his big-budget remake of "The Poseidon Adventure."

Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss, Emmy Rossum and Mike Vogel have boarded the Warner Bros. picture, while Andre Braugher is in negotiations to join the cast.

Like the 1972 original, the story follows the survivors of the S.S. Poseidon, a cruise ship which is capsized by a tidal wave. The survivors, trapped inside, are forced to work their way to the surface of the upside down ship through the hull.

Russell is playing an ex-fireman and mayor who is traveling with his daughter (Rossum) and her boyfriend (Vogel). Dreyfuss plays a gay man whose relationship breaks up just before departure. Braugher would play the ship's captain.

Shooting is scheduled to begin June 18 on the Warners lot.

Russell stars in the upcoming "Sky High," while Dreyfuss was recently in John Sayles' "Silver City." Rossum received a Golden Globe nomination for "The Phantom of the Opera" and appeared in "The Day After Tomorrow." Vogel appears in Warners' "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," and Braugher stars in the new FX series "Thief."
Old 06-06-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll add another
Old 06-06-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
I have a question...granted, I may have missed it so forgive me if I did...but how come no one was asking why Speilberg was re-making War of the Worlds? Why does he get free ride but everyone else gets questioned? Not that I mind the WOTW re-make, but it's obvious that Hollywood has a very long history of re-making movies that goes back to the early days of the industry so why do we get one of these, "Why are they re-making -fill in title-" everytime?????

Whorlly-wood is in bizness of money making, not making original shit. This will not change anytime soon.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-06-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
If it's anything like The Perfect Storm, count me out.
Old 06-06-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
The real question is: who could ever really replace Carol Lynley?

Performances that stilted only come once in a lifetime.

The crazy thing about the original is that the film should have sunk under the weight of the continual barrage of hamfests going on (Hackman, Borgnine, Winters, Stevens, the annoyting little boy) but for some reason it works. Maybe despite the hamminess, maybe because of it, but you actually care about the people and want to see them make it off the boat.

For me...that's what sets it apart from Titanic. While Titanic was technically superior, it just never took off emotionally for me. I cared more about the boat then the people.

I just hope that Peterson doesn't get too hooked on the technical aspects and loses sight of what made the film work...

Old 06-06-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Steve Guttenberg kicks ass. Don't pretend that he doesn't.
When is the TV movie going to air? I love the original, but I loves me a disaster flick so I'll watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.