Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

This Girl's Life UR edition...specs anyone?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a review of this film, This Girl's Life, right here at dvdtalk. The review wasn't particulary good, but I decided I wanted to get the dvd anyway. However, I've run into nothing but problems in trying to find out any details.

The reviewer says she was reviewing the R-rated edition and that the film was in 1.85:1, but when I went to all the online retailers, they list the unrated version as being in full frame only.

It seemed strange that they'd offer and R-rated OAR release and a pan and scan unrated release, but that's what it says. Except several of the online sites list the R-rated version in full frame as well.

I'm sure the reviewer wasn't wrong, but I hesitate to buy it now online if the unrated version ends up being full frame and maybe the reviewer got a screener version that they didn't end up selling. I don't know.

I do know that I was all excited to get the tear-jerker My Life and there are two version of that out, one with both WS and FF on a flipper, and one with only FF and I found a site that claimed to have both, I ordered the one with the WS and they sent me the FF and I was so pissed and let down. I don't want to do that again and I don't live in a city with a store that would carry it, so I could return it easily if it ended up being pan and scan.

Does anyone here know the actual specs or own a copy or know someone who owns a copy? Have you rented it? If anyone can tell me where I can and if I can get the unrated version in widescreen, I would really appreciate it. I actually tried Video Universe, which listed an unrated version in widescreen and then under the dvd features it listed the film to be in 1.33:1 and didn't have the correct cover art. I felt like slamming my head into my desk. I even e-mailed the studio, a very small one, and they didn't reply.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-04-05, 06:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try emailing the studio that's releasing it. link
Old 02-04-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cygnet74
try emailing the studio that's releasing it. link

I did...several times.

No response.

I called too.

There was no one to answer the phone, only a general voicemail and they didn't return my call.

I've had easier times getting info from HUGE studios and small ones like Anchor Bay. These people don't seem too interested in helping.
Old 02-04-05, 07:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weird. on dvdpricesearch.com, they're both listed as LBX
Old 02-04-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To clarify - the R-rated DVD that I reviewed was a "full retail version" (shrink-wrapped and all) just like in the stores. It wasn't a check disc. So unless there's gigantic weirdness going on, you're safe: it's non-anamorphic, but it IS widescreen. (I also double-checked the cover just now: it doesn't say "widescreen version" anywhere, so I'm assuming that there's just the one version.)

In my experience, it's not uncommon for online retailers to get the aspect ratio wrong, especially when it's a smaller-scale release like this one. And generally if one gets it wrong, all of them do... I don't know where they get their data from, but perhaps always from the same single source!

I can't comment on the aspect ratio of the unrated version, as I haven't seen it.