Old 02-04-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have Miami Vice season one yet?

Anyone have Miami Vice season one yet?

Well...Go ahead...Tell us about it.
Old 02-04-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14236
Old 02-04-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know what's on it, I was just wondering what people here thought of it.

Thanks though.
Old 02-06-05, 08:52 PM

The only thing I can tell you is that Disc 1 side 1 played fine, but when I flipped over to side 2, it keeps getting stuck in the same place (first episode on that side, just after a guy gets stuffed in the trunk). I tried it in 2 different drives. It'll be going back for an exchange tomorrow, but I sure hope it's an isolated case and not an indication of crappy manufacturing.
Old 02-09-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember that getting the music rights was the reason that this show wasn't on DVD before, I honestly didn't think it would ever get released. But now that it has, is the music the original music or did they replace some of the songs?
Old 02-09-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the original music is there!!
I Bought the set today watched most of the first disc side a/b no problems with anything playing on side b. The picture quality is very good and the music sounds great. Thats about all i could have asked for. Everyone should buy this set the show is that good!
Old 02-09-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
is the music the original music or did they replace some of the songs?
A Universal exec was quoted in Video Business magazine as saying that Miami Vice: Season 1 has all of the original music.

When asked if future seasons would be complete, or if they may be altered (ala Season 2 of Quantum Leap), they said that they will consider every show -- and every season -- on a case-by-case basis.

So, while it's great news about the music so far, don't consider it any sign that the next few seasons will be fine too.
Old 02-10-05, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched the pilot episode tonight, and was completely blown away. I hadn't seen the whole thing in awhile, and frankly I think it's one of the best tv pilots I've even seen. Really it puts many films of this genre to shame, and Michael Mann's influence is apparent.

But the DVD was pretty decent; the picture was nice for being 20 years old, the sound was well-balanced and clear, overall much better than I expected. I watched a friend's copy but I'll be buying my own set now.
Old 02-13-05, 01:34 PM

I am on the flip side of disc one and on the 3rd episode it just gets stuck. The Universal logo pops up all pixilated and won't clear up. I guess this will be going back for a replacement tomorrow.
Old 02-13-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine at the BB in Virginia, this is the worst transfer i've ever seen, to me it's a transfer from vhs to dvd. Mine has pixulation at the beginning of the fist episode of the series on the first disk. There are bloches in parts, etc etc. It's just bad.
Old 02-13-05, 06:13 PM

Some off and on remarks about disc problems, it is possible some of your dvd players are just not working with some of the discs, some peoples are, I'm guessing the new dvd players are handeling the discs better, I don't know.
Old 02-14-05, 04:32 AM
Banned

Yes, the video on these dvds looks like your watching vhs.
But remember this is Universal and they at least spent the money on the original music.
Old 02-14-05, 12:44 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichardDVD
I am on the flip side of disc one and on the 3rd episode it just gets stuck. The Universal logo pops up all pixilated and won't clear up. I guess this will be going back for a replacement tomorrow.

i have the same problem with the flip side of disc 2.
Old 02-18-05, 08:23 AM

Hi all.

My Miami Vice Season One set did not come with an insert, even though the packaging is designed for one, all I received in my was an advertisement for Universal TV.

Could someone please tell me whether or not this set is supposed to have an insert?

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-18-05, 09:32 AM

The only insert I received was the universal ad.
Old 02-18-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Universal does this on a lot of their releases. (The Conan collection comes to mind, but I know there have been dozens of others.)

They design their packaging to have pockets for inserts, and then just stick an ad in there. When you remove the ad, the package just looks stupid.
Old 02-18-05, 11:42 AM

Strafe, bboisvert,

Thanks. I recently bought Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica on DVD, which had booklets, which is why I was expecting one with Miami Vice.
Old 03-02-05, 05:50 AM

problems too...

Hi guys,

I have also found similar problems as described above , image breakup and then disc refusing to play/ skips chapter on disc 2 , side 2 , ep 3 just as crockett puts the cuffs on the guy in the hallway.

Have tried it on 2 standalone players (sony and a sharp) and on a PS2 and does the same on all. Interestingly it works fine on a pc but I guess PC drives are not as "picky" as standalones....
Old 03-04-05, 07:02 PM

I'm trying to look at the not-so-great picture quality as a quaint retro feature since this is a pretty old show, but with all the glitches I wonder if they didn't try to cram too much info onto too few discs. I'd rather have paid a bit more and not had the problems.

The 2nd set is OK so far. One disc that kept freezing in my laptop did OK on the iMac. I still have one side of one disc to go before I know if this one is a keeper.

I am digging the pink flamingo icons!
Old 03-04-05, 11:07 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

2nd time i found a defective dvd in this set, i have to go back and exchange it again.
Old 03-05-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched my first two discs and no problems so far. Wonder why some are good, some are bad or could it relate to the player?
Old 03-06-05, 02:44 PM

Players tried...

Hi,

re: perhaps a player problem?
As discussed above I had the breakup problem on the 2nd disc. I tried it on a Sony standalone , a Sharp Standalone and a PS2. All had the problem.

Curiously , it played fine on a pc dvd drive but I guess they are more robust and forgiving as a drive anyway...

Have sent back for refund and await r2 versions , which look like are going to be single sided but at a far bigger price! (£40). ;-(
Old 03-06-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mine plays fine - no problems at all.
Old 03-07-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine played fine.

Would those who are having problems be abe to play problem sections on another player, just in case its the equipment not the disc?
Old 03-07-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine has been playing fine so far but I am only about 1/3 of the way through season 1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.