Reload this Page >

I now have my Directivo....hmmmmm.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-03-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

So far I am not too impressed, but it did say that it may take a few days to get to where I could record, etc.

The guide screen for both the tivo and the regular receiver is pretty poor, imo, compared to Dish. The letters are tiny. I have to get closer to the TV to even see them. I don't suppose there is a way to change the size of the guide. Anyone?

Otherwise, it's just like the other. I hope it gets considerably better.
Old 02-04-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
What? In the what what?

My parents have Dish network and I've never noticed a difference in text size. I do think Dish has a lot more clutter on the screen when viewing the guide then on DirecTV. My wife watches our 19-inch TV in the bedroom 10 feet away from her and has no trouble seeing the guide.

I've never heard of anyone having an issue with that...
Old 02-04-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont think that DirecTivo is much better than a Dish DVR than you need to read the manual...and I'm a Dish DVR owner
Old 02-04-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enterprise better than Babylon 5?
DirecTiVo not any better than the Dish PVR?

My my my. Is there something in the drinking water where you live?

Old 02-04-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Enterprise better than Babylon 5?
DirecTiVo not any better than the Dish PVR?

My my my. Is there something in the drinking water where you live?

Too much Boron...
Old 02-04-05, 08:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Otherwise, it's just like the other.
Dish DVR has dual tuner and season pass?

As for the small font thing, I don't know a way to change it. Buy a bigger television?
Old 02-04-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
What? In the what what?

My parents have Dish network and I've never noticed a difference in text size. I do think Dish has a lot more clutter on the screen when viewing the guide then on DirecTV. My wife watches our 19-inch TV in the bedroom 10 feet away from her and has no trouble seeing the guide.

I've never heard of anyone having an issue with that...
I have to agree. I've had both, and I don't notice any difference between the guide "sizes".
Old 02-04-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't you have a projection screen? Maybe you're use to seeing things 100 inches across.
Old 02-04-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave, which guide are you using on the DirecTivo? The Tivo or DirecTV guide. Definitely use the Tivo guide.
Old 02-04-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by waporvare
Don't you have a projection screen? Maybe you're use to seeing things 100 inches across.
His wife was mad because internet pr0n on the projector ruined sex for them...

So she bought a horse.
Old 02-04-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Otherwise, it's just like the other.
If by "just like" you mean "utterly superior," then I agree.
Old 02-04-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by waporvare
Actually, I am mainly disappointed in the regular receivers guide. It is in the living room on a 32" TV and it is awful.

This is how it looks.

The letters, etc. are light blue on slightly darker blue, on an even darker blue. The shows are white, but still seem small.

Admittedly, you only have 4 channels to look at, but it is clear and has good contrasting colors. Also, the dish remote allows you to scroll every 4 channels with a button, so it isn't too awful. If directv has something similar, I have found it yet.

Thos two pics don't quite do it justice for those who have seen it in person. I just can't imagine why the directv one is so dark.

I haven't played around with the Tivo enough yet, and I am sure I will warm up to it, but so far the regular directv interface seems poor.

For those with dish....as I canceled my service, they asked why, and I told them the fact that tivo could record one while watching another. They mentioned they had one that could do that (forget the model number) as well as be hooked into two tvs and watch seperate shows on each. If you are not stuck in a contract, it would be a good time to call and find a way to get one cheap in exchange for not jumping ship.
Old 02-04-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the way to go:

Old 02-04-05, 10:52 AM

Chew, I call Shenanigans on that screenshot. It's clearly from a Stand-alone TiVo.
Old 02-04-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Like I said, I expect the tivo is fine, and haven't played with it much. I don't see a scroll button or "page down" button which seems like a no-brainer, though.
Old 02-04-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Chew, I call Shenanigans on that screenshot. It's clearly from a Stand-alone TiVo.
Yeah, I know. But, I wasn't having any luck finding a picture of the DirecTV version and it gets the point across.
Old 02-04-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the dish remote allows you to scroll every 4 channels with a button, so it isn't too awful. If directv has something similar, I have found it yet.
You can scroll down the whole page quickly by using the Channel Up/Down button (instead of the arrow keys which only move one by one).
Old 02-04-05, 10:56 AM

Like I said, I expect the tivo is fine, and haven't played with it much. I don't see a scroll button or "page down" button which seems like a no-brainer, though.
Your channel up/down buttons are used for this.
Old 02-04-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - I had mine working like a pro in under 15 minutes. What make/model is your unit? Mine is a Philips, and it ROCKS. I almost don't think you are talking about the same thing as everyone else, Dave. Please be more specific about your issues b/c everything you say is completely not an issue with my DirecTiVo (e.g. my remote has PgUp/PgDn buttons and scrolls through about 6-8 channels per page with the current channel's programming visible in the background).
Old 02-04-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Definitely switch to the TiVo guide, like others have mentioned. It is far quicker and easier to navigate through.
Old 02-04-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Okay, like I have said, I haven't played with Tivo much. It says it takes a few days to get all the info, so when I tried to search for "Enterprise" last night, it didn't have it yet. Couldn't find "Lost" or much of anything. So I will give it a few days.

My biggest complaint so far is the menu on the regular directv receiver. I'll keep playing and see how it goes with Tivo.
Old 02-04-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Okay, like I have said, I haven't played with Tivo much. It says it takes a few days to get all the info, so when I tried to search for "Enterprise" last night, it didn't have it yet. Couldn't find "Lost" or much of anything. So I will give it a few days.
It does take a few days before every show will show up.

But it's worth the wait.
Old 02-04-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Why did you switch BTW...is there a deal? Im looking
Old 02-04-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Pretty much the same deal they have all the time: new subs get a DirecTiVo for $50 (after $50 MIR) and free installation. I think you also get a few months of free premium channels.
Old 02-04-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I was bored . I was plenty happy with Dish, but decided I would like to try Directv and Tivo, especially with the dual tuner aspect. Figured I could get the whole deal, sell off my old stuff and come ahead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.