Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Karate Kid Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Karate Kid Question

Fans of the original, help me out...didn't the theatrical (and initial VHS) version of this film have "The End" pop up on screen before the credits roll? Or am I remembering it wrong? If so, it's missing from the movie on this DVD set. I never watched the previous pan & scan DVD, so I don't know if it was missing from that one as well...but I do remember it on the VHS version - but I'm not sure if it's one of those "Back To The Future" cases (like the "To Be Continued..." tag) that was maybe put in the first VHS version, but was never actually in the theatrical release.
Old 02-03-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seems like it should be in Movie talk. I am not sure of your answer though
Old 02-03-05, 08:15 AM

now, i cant be 100% sure but i just always remember the pic. freezing while the credits rolled.
Old 02-03-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sxwxs
now, i cant be 100% sure but i just always remember the pic. freezing while the credits rolled.
yeah, I had taped it off HBO or something as a kid. I remember THE END too
Old 02-03-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
yeah, I had taped it off HBO or something as a kid. I remember THE END too
I always thought there was a "The End" in the first movie, but when I rewatched it a few years ago on HBO, it wasn't there. Maybe I mixed it up with the second film.

What's weird is that according to the IMDB, some prints of the first film originally ended with Miyagi's confrontation with Kreese in the parking lot. That can't be right.
Old 02-03-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
What's weird is that according to the IMDB, some prints of the first film originally ended with Miyagi's confrontation with Kreese in the parking lot. That can't be right.
Those scenes were filmed when the first movie was filmed - so it's possible.

As for the above poster questioning if this should be in MOVIE TALK - this is a question about the DVD vs. the theatrical version, so I'm pretty sure it's better off in this section.

"The End" is on the end of both Karate Kid II and III, which is why I could have sworn it was on the original version of the first one as well...I thought it was kind of a standard for the series.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 02-03-05 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-03-05, 11:24 AM

I had it taped off of hbo until I bought the first dvd release, and I could swear that I remember it saying "THE END".
Old 02-03-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
As one who has shamelessly seen THE KARATE KID and THE KARATE KID PART II many times, I can definitely say that:

The end of THE KARATE KID does NOT have THE END. It's just Pat Morita's face smiling and then it fades out to credits, with Bill Conti's End Theme drumming in the background.

The end of THE KARATE KID PART II is the one that has THE END. I guess because the producers hadn't decided on beating a dead horse at that point. It's Pat Morita's face smiliing, then fade out, then THE END, then cue Peter Cetera's "The Glory of Love."
Old 05-10-21, 05:30 PM
Banned

Re: Karate Kid Question

I also love it