Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

MGM Scorsese Collection: Worth It?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm debating whether or not to pick up this set. I really enjoy Raging Bull and will be purchasing it, but should I go for the boxset? I have not seen any of the other films in the set. Should I stick with Raging Bull or get the whole thing?
Old 02-02-05, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I'm debating whether or not to pick up this set. I really enjoy Raging Bull and will be purchasing it, but should I go for the boxset? I have not seen any of the other films in the set. Should I stick with Raging Bull or get the whole thing?
Being a Scorsese completist, I think it's a great set. The only disappointment is that NEW YORK, NEW YORK is non-anamorphic (per MGM's 1.66:1 policy). Definitive extras on every movie except BOXCAR BERTHA, which at least looks fantastic. A word of caution, though: BB and NY,NY are arguably the two most polarizing movies of Scorsese's career, and I can almost guarantee you that you will either love or despise the latter, which is stylistically artificial in homage to the studio musicals of yesteryear but pure seventies in terms of the intense behaviour on display. It can make for a schizophrenic viewing experience, and in fact died a very painful death at the box office (it was *expensive*).

In other words, not as safe a bet as Warner's Scorsese box, but the presentations are on a par. The RAGING BULL SE is, for what it's worth, amazing.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net
Old 02-02-05, 11:08 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
DVD Savant...does "Raging Bull" get Collector's as standalone?

I have this on the way to my house even as we speak, probably by tomorrow.

It seems like the review is all good. I am wondering if this would get the coveted "DVD Talk Collector's Series" rating if it were standalone?

Thanks Savant for a reply.

And great review for an incredible masterpiece!!
Old 02-02-05, 03:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm getting the box set. I figured $22 and change for Raging Bull or $30-something for the entire box? I went with the box.
Old 02-02-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking at the comparison of Raging Bull screenshots over at DVD Beaver... and he seems to imply that you have to buy the boxed set to get the 2-disc SE. And that the stand-alone edition is only a single disc.

That isn't true, is it?
Old 02-02-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, it's not true.

Stew
Old 02-02-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
I've had The Last Waltz since release day (and it's awesome). Hated NY/NY and have no interest in BB. So it's a big hunka Raging Bull for me!
Old 02-03-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you don't have the Last Waltz it's definitely worth it since the Raging Bull disc is a must regardless and Last Waltz is phenomenal. Consider the other two to be extremely interesting extras.

If you already have the Last Waltz I'd still recommend it: New York, New York is integral to Scorsese as a filmmaker, even if it's flawed. There would be no Aviator without his stepping out with NY, NY. And Boxcar Bertha is an artifact from his days of trying to make it as a professional director. Scorsese fans should want to check it out.

Frankly, I would have paid the full box set price just for the Raging Bull disc (I mean, I paid $100 for the Criterion laserdisc of it back in the day and it was my prized possession for many years)
Old 02-03-05, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
If you don't have the Last Waltz it's definitely worth it since the Raging Bull disc is a must regardless and Last Waltz is phenomenal. Consider the other two to be extremely interesting extras.

If you already have the Last Waltz I'd still recommend it: New York, New York is integral to Scorsese as a filmmaker, even if it's flawed. There would be no Aviator without his stepping out with NY, NY. And Boxcar Bertha is an artifact from his days of trying to make it as a professional director. Scorsese fans should want to check it out.

Frankly, I would have paid the full box set price just for the Raging Bull disc (I mean, I paid $100 for the Criterion laserdisc of it back in the day and it was my prized possession for many years)
but Gil, RB standalone..."DVD Talk Collector's Series"?
Old 02-03-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't have it yet, but I'd say that's a safe bet.
Old 02-03-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Having spent two days with the two-disc "Raging Bull," I can say absolutely: DVD Talk Collector's Series. The extras are thorough and they were able to land all the principal players – add to this a fairly decent transfer and the whole package only enhances this Scorsese masterpiece.

Last edited by soonercineaste; 02-03-05 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by soonercineaste
Having spent two days with the two-disc "Raging Bull," I can say absolutely: DVD Talk Collector's Series. The extras are thorough and they were able to land all the principal players – add to this a fairly decent transfer and the whole package only enhances this Scorsese masterpiece.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
i just got this today and what gorgeous packaging! the art work is amazing and ranks up there with the best in my collection. just wish they would have changed the insert (for me at least)!
Old 02-03-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'll pass. I have nothing against Scorsese and believe he's a great director. But I just can't get into him.

I bought Taxi Driver and just didn't get into it. I though it might just be a one time thing so I picked up the Warner Bros. set last year (couldn't pass it up for $30). I thought After Hours and Goodfellas were ok. Just ok. Didn't like the other three. I've also seen Bringing out the Dead and didn't like it. I don't care for his version of Cape Fear (though I own it since I got the Cape Fear two pack for dirt cheap), but loved the original. The Color of Money bored me.

I keep thinking eventually his movies will finally click with me, but I'm through spending money on them.

Last edited by MEJHarrison; 02-03-05 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 06:28 PM

these pics say it all...Enjoy!!

Old 02-03-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woah.
Old 02-03-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By the way, RIP Vicky LaMotta.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 02-04-05 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-04-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
With the Raging Bull DVD on the horizon, I was surprised of Vicki LaMotta's death, too.

Vicki LaMotta, Ex-Wife of a 'Raging Bull,' Dies at 75
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: February 3, 2005

BOCA RATON, Fla., Feb. 2 (AP) - Vicki LaMotta, the Bronx beauty whose marriage to the boxer Jake LaMotta was portrayed in the movie "Raging Bull," died here on Jan. 25. She was 75.

She died at Boca Raton Community Hospital, about six months after having open heart surgery, her son, Harrison Foster, said.

In the movie, Robert De Niro plays the boxer, who is obsessed with his young wife, played by Cathy Moriarty, and drives her away.

Her son said that Jake LaMotta had so much trouble adjusting to life outside the ring when he retired in Miami Beach that Vicki, then 26, felt compelled to move out.

"It took courage to leave Jake at such a young age with three children," Mr. Foster said.

Ms. LaMotta posed nude for Playboy in 1981, when she was 51. At the time, she told The St. Louis Post-Dispatch that she had posed nude to show that life does not end at 30.

"I'm getting reaction from women that is so favorable it's just fantastic," she said. She later lent her name to a cosmetics line, made commercials and appeared on television and at boxing arenas. She also divorced her second husband, Tony Foster.

Ms. LaMotta returned to South Florida in 1992, where she lived in a waterfront condo in Hillsboro Beach.

She was born Beverly Thailer on Jan. 23, 1930, in the Bronx. She met LaMotta at a community pool and she married as a teenager.

She is survived by Harrison Foster; a daughter, Christi LaMotta; her sisters, Pat Follini and Phyllis Genovese; her brothers, Donald Thailer and Joe Francis; and one granddaughter. Two sons, Jake LaMotta Jr. and Joe LaMotta, predeceased her.