Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Around The World In 80 Days (2004) - view and thoughts..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on DVD the other day, I dont seem to go out to the cinema much and see films late.

Around The World In 80 Days - 3/5

I really dont know why so many critics hated this, who seemed to compare it with the 1954 original film, and novel. (?) I was presently surprised because I expected to hate it
This is a fun action comedy/adventure film IMO and while its a bit silly at times (being a rather loose adaption), I still enjoyed it

Many purists howled at the idea of shifting the emphasis from Fogg onto Passpertout (sp?), or the fact Fogg is now an eccentric inventor.

Its not bad at all really, you may know the case of Jackie's excellent Miracles, based on a 1961 Frank Capra movie. Pocketful of Miracles

Look closely and you will spot many star names having a ball in ATWI80D, Sammo as Wong Fei Hung, Arnie as a Turkish Prince (!) , Owen Wilson as one of the Wright Bros (he's funny), Karen Mok (I think) and Maggie Q (!) She is called "Maggie M. Quiggley" in the credits

Jackie's slapstick fights are fun and I liked the China section especially, where JC gets to fight "properly".

Cécile de France (Monique) is really cute IMO!

However, didnt the jade bhudda nonsense seem like it was stolen from Who AmI/Ong-Bak/Bulletproof Monk or something?

One of the better of Jackie's Hollywood movies, but not a patch on his 80's/90's HK classics.

What did others who saw it think?
Old 02-01-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I walked out after the Arnold scene.

but because of your review, I'll probably watch the rest of it, if it ever comes out on television (HBO...)
Old 02-01-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Glad to help
I thought the Ah-nuld cameo was quite funny My expectations were low so thats probably why I liked the film, it was certainly better than the terrible Chow Yun Fat vehicle "Bulletproof Monk".
Old 02-01-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a pretty decent movie, much better than a lot of the reviews had me prepared for. While nothing in particular was really great about it (actions scenes weren't great, plot wasn't great, etc), it was still amusing throughout and never left me bored. It seemed a lot of reviews spent too much time comparing it to the original, which I don't it was really trying to emulate or copy much at all except for the extremely general premise of flying around the world.
Old 02-01-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
I started during laundry and washing dishes while half-paynig attention, but I loved all of the cameos and each of them pulled me right back ni front of the tv.

The Wright brothers were great.
Old 02-01-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was pretty good. Some spots could have done better. It might not be an epic, but overall, it was a good film.

Arnie got a Razzie nomination for his roll.
Old 02-01-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was fun. I enjoyed the cameos the most, but it was just a fun adventure film that didn't really take itself too seriously. Not the best Jackie Chan work, but it was entertaining.
Old 02-01-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to have to rent this now.

I don't know if it will eclipse Jackie's (IMO) best Hollywood stuff (The Shanghai movies) but i was sold on "a fun movie".
Old 02-01-05, 03:30 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably watch it when it's on TV. The bad review and trailers didn't make the movie to enticing.