Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superbowl Teasers/Trailers: what will be most likely see?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

With the SuperBowl coming up, it is a given that studios will be buying airtime for their hopeful blockbusters this Summer and maybe early Spring during the big game.
While airing during the Superbowl doesn't guarantee a hit in the long run, I noticed several large openings of summers past had Superbowl spots that I think really helped their PR campaign. Van Helsing was not a great movie by any means, but I think a Superbowl spot definitely helped it get a decent opening, and while I didn't care for it myself when I the spot, I think the one for Gladiator was what raised more public interest than any other one.

Here is what I think will go this year:

Kingdom of Heaven
Wedding Crashers
The Longest Yard-tailor made for the audience IMO

Any others that are confirmed or possible?
Old 01-31-05, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' will have a 30-second commercial featuring footage from the movie.
Old 01-31-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Earlier in the game (when the kiddies are still up), I could see a Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory trailer being put in.
Old 01-31-05, 08:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I want to see a real trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm not holding my breath. Not the kind of film the Superbowl crowd will line up to see.
Old 01-31-05, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by talemyn
Earlier in the game (when the kiddies are still up), I could see a Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory trailer being put in.
Interesting, that would be a feat. Consideing there is not such movie slated for release in the near future.

You mean Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Old 01-31-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I remember hearing somewhere that there would be a new Batman Begins trailer for the Super Bowl.
Old 01-31-05, 09:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Definitely both Batman Begins and War of the Worlds.
Old 01-31-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Interesting, that would be a feat. Consideing there is not such movie slated for release in the near future.

You mean Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Old 01-31-05, 09:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably one for Constantine, just because it's the first 'big' movie opening after the Super Bowl, and they usually have at least one soon-to-be-released movie advertised among all the summer movies.
Old 01-31-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
What about Eps. III? When will we get a new trailer for that?
Old 01-31-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

I think we'll get a new Ep3 trailer in March.
Old 01-31-05, 12:07 PM

Groucho and others:

Over 100 million people watch the Superbowl each year in the US. There is no such thing as a "Superbowl" crowd since football fans watch it along side of non football fans. Its the only event during the year that people look forward to commercials. So just because something doesnt fit the football mold, doesnt me we shouldnt expect a trailer during the commercials.
Old 01-31-05, 12:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I want to see a real trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm not holding my breath. Not the kind of film the Superbowl crowd will line up to see.
even the first time I saw the teaser for this I did a very audible "hooray" at the theatre, every one else in the theatre were completely clueless to this movie (or dare say, even the book for that matter)... oh well, me thinks this will only appeal to a very small niche of fans.
Old 01-31-05, 02:34 PM
Suspended

You can almost bank on a Batman Begins trailer along with a Chocolate Factory trailer.

As the above poster mentioned, also with WotW too.

I personally would like to see something for Serenity, even if its a teaser.
Old 01-31-05, 02:54 PM

I really doubt there will be an Episode 3 commercial. Super Bowl commercials cost a lot, it's not like they need to spend that kind of money to let people know there's a new movie coming out. The media does a good job at giving Star Wars movies plenty of free press.
Old 01-31-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
But Star Wars is Fox. Fox is showing the superbowl this year. You figure that they will included ads for their own series throughout the night.
Old 01-31-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I highly doubt SW unless they show the exisiting teaser. Maybe Fantastic 4...
Old 01-31-05, 05:00 PM

20th Century FOX and FOX TV are seperate companies though. You can bet that 20th Century FOX will be charged for any commercials just like anyone else. You can expect to see plenty of FOX TV ads for their television shows though.

There is just not good reason for 20th Century FOX to spend that much money on a Star Wars ad, there's plenty of hype. People have heard about it before.
Old 01-31-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I remember hearing somewhere that there would be a new Batman Begins trailer for the Super Bowl.
I believe this is definately true. As far as I've heard we'll get our first real glimpse at the Scarecrow in the teaser.
Old 01-31-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
seperate devisions of a News Corp really. I'm not saying that's the reason why they will go for it as I'm sure you will see a F4 trailer or ad on the broadcast and it's already comfirmed that War of the Worlds will get some exclusive footage shown.

and as for Fox spending money on it's own production. This is like WB charging for AOL commercials. It's all going back to the company anyways.

WB has two 30 second spots bought. So it will be two batman begins ads or a split between that and Dukes of hazard. Hitch is also going to get a spot and Buena vista is going to push the pacifier with Van Diesel.
Old 01-31-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Definites for Sunday's Game:
WAR OF THE WORLDS
HITCH
THE PACIFIER
THE LONGEST YARD

Safe Bets:
BATMAN BEGINS
THE DUKES OF HAZZARD

Possibles:
BE COOL
THE PINK PANTHER

I've also heard a pretty good number of commericals this year will be in HD. That was also true of most of the movie trailers that aired during last year's Super Bowl.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 01-31-05 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Since it's Fox and a lot of the target audience will be watching, I am sure they will try a Kingdom of Heaven spot.
Old 01-31-05, 05:43 PM

"and as for Fox spending money on it's own production. This is like WB charging for AOL commercials. It's all going back to the company anyways."

True, but there's a funny thing about business. Different divisions of a business are responsible for their own profits. For example, I work for a large computer company, but my department doesn't get freebies from other departments. We have to pay for the out of our budget for any computer hardware we might need.

I would fully expect that 20th Century FOX would have to use some of their advertising budget to do any Super Bowl ads. There's absolutly no justification to spend that much on a Star Wars ad instead of another movie that could actually use some advertising to generate some hype/interest in the movie.
Old 01-31-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
That would be cool if they showed a new HHGTG trailer during the Superbowl.
Old 01-31-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's absolutly no justification to spend that much on a Star Wars ad instead of another movie
I agree completely. No real need since it already has its own built up hype. It's something you really don't have to sell anyways. I'm just saying that fox will be taking advantage of it's big price it paid to show the super bowl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.