Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Movie Monologue

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite Movie Monologue

Old 01-30-05, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Movie Monologue

I have to do an oral interpretation(which basically means read something with feeling) for a class and I'm having trouble picking something. I had thought of doing the Jules bible passage from Pulp Fiction but it has to be 2 minutes long and I don't think I can stretch it out that long. So any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.
Old 01-30-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try doing the Matt Damon speech in Good Will Hunting.
Old 01-30-05, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-Dr.Evil's account of his childhood (Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery)
-Sarah Conner's sort of opening narration in T2

I dont' know if those qualify, but that's all I could think of.
Old 01-30-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could've sworn we had a thread just like this a couple of months ago. But I searched a came up empty. Anyway, I like the "Troy's bucket" speech on The Goonies.
Old 01-30-05, 07:54 PM

There's a thread about this somewhere, i'm just too lazy to check. If you find it you'll have about 7 pages to help you decide. If it were me, i'd choose something comical... can't think of a good example.
Old 01-30-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shark Story from Lady from Shanghai
Old 01-30-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Respect the cock, tame the ****!
Old 01-30-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quint's speech in Jaws was also great.
Old 01-30-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the movie 100 Girls:

Without you, I'm as lonely as an abandoned dog on the side of a highway. I have gift anxiety, even through I don't know when your birthday is. We can spend perfect days shopping and cleaning together. I swear, I'll never make wisecracks when you scrape your tires against the curb while parallel parking. If you consent to live with me, I'll clean the toilet every week. I'll do it with my tongue if you ask. I will strike the words "hooters" and "love rockets" from my vocabulary. I'll love you. Even if your name is Mimi and you want me to pronounce it "May May". I will only pass gas underneath the covers and under the direst of circumstances. Hell, I'll go on a low cholesterol diet. And I won't buy one of those red sports cars when I hit my mid-life crisis. Your parents can come visit us every week, even if your mom is a witch with a capital B. And your folks don't have to go to a retirement home because they can come live with us. I declare, I'll separate the whites from the colors and learn the mysteries of hot and cold water washes. I'll never huff and puff while waiting for you to put on my makeup. If you're a cat person, I'll never point out the fact that a dog can save your life from drowning, but a cat can't. I will happily go see chick flicks with you, like "Pride and Prejudice". I'll make a point to trying new food like okra gumbo. I won't curl my nose at vegetables whose awful taste is disguised by having cheese on it. I pledge to always say "yes" when you ask, "Is my hair looking okay tonight?" I'm gonna bring a whole new meaning to the word "cuddle". I'll be thoughtful enough to read your horoscope every day. I'm gonna save every birthday card you send me! And I'll actually write you real letters when we're apart. I'm never gonna expect you to know where I left my car keys, and I'll never leave my socks on the floor. With me, you'll find the cap is always on the toothpaste. I'll start wearing those bikini style underwear if you like. My belly button will always be lint free. I want to full-on kiss your clitoris. It will be the most passionate, intimate experience you've ever had. I declare now, I will give my life for you. And if you fail to come to me, I know some part of me will surely die.
Old 01-30-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The watch" monologue by Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction.
Old 01-30-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Edward Norton has a good one in The 25th Hour in a restroom.

If it doesn't have to be from a movie, you could do Lewis Black's bit on Starbuck's:

"One of the reasons I'm glad to be back in Atlanta is since I was here last time I made an extraordinary discovery that I really want to share with you. It's kind of overwhelming, much more so than the discovery that N*SYNC was gay. You see, I travel a lot, and the fact of the matter is, in my travels I've found out something that changed the way I look at things. From the beginning of time, man has looked at the heavens and firmly believed that the universe ends out in space. It's not true. The end of the universe happens to be in the United States. I've seen it, and oddly enough, it's in Houston, Texas. I know, I know, I was shocked too. I left the comedy club there and walked down the street. On one corner, there was a Starbuck's, and across the street from that Starbuck's, in the exact same building as that Starbuck's, was a Starbuck's. At first, I thought the sun was playing tricks with my eyes, but no, there was a Starbuck's across from a Starbuck's, and that, my friends, is the end of the universe. People have said to me, "how do you know?" and I say, "go there." Stand between those two Starbuck's. Look at your watch. Time stands still, and if you turn this way, and look just at this Starbuck's, immediately you think, "you know, when I turn around, there cannot possibly be a Starbuck's behind me. No one would have been that stupid to have built a Starbuck's across from a Starbuck's, and if there was a just and loving god, he wouldn't allow that kind of shit to go down." So you turn slowly, thinking "well, I'll see a Gap or a Denny's, maybe even a Mobile station, BUT THERE'S A STARBUCK'S! What do you think the man was thinking who stood in the empty lot and looked across the street at the Starbuck's that was already built, when he turned to his wife and kids and said, "you know, I have a vision. I'm going to build a Starbuck's across from the Starbuck's." "Why would you do that, daddy?"
"Because it'll be the end of the universe, you little shit!" I've pondered long and hard as to what group of people might need a service like that, I mean, a Starbuck's across from a Starbuck's, and there's only one group of people that would need that, and that group, and there must be a large number of them there, are people with Alzheimer's. Don't go "oh." You can't go "oh." It has to be Alzheimer's, okay? It's the only group that makes the joke work, okay? What if I said, "oh, there must be a large amount of Jews living there." You would have all gone "what the fuck is he talking about?" Oh the Irish, they love their coffee beans. It's ALZHEIMER'S! It has to be a group that can sit there and drink coffee, and then get up, walk to the door... "Do you see what I see? Son of a bitch, it's a Starbuck's. I think it's time we had a cup of Joe."
Old 01-30-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe try a condensed version of Chaplin's closing speech from "The Great Dictator" or if you're really ambitious maybe try a portion of the opening monologue to "Patton". Another option, but I'm not sure if it runs 2 minutes, is the farewell speech from "The Pride of the Yankees".
Old 01-30-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Psst, try this: http://www.whysanity.net/monos/
Old 01-30-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dennis Hopper's eggplant speech in True Romance (I think that part was a monologue, if I remember correctly)
Old 01-30-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
found it
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=speech
mods, merge threads if you all want to
Old 01-30-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Back in drama class in high school I did the President's phone call to the Kremlin from "Dr. Strangelove" -- odd yes, but I think it worked pretty well.
Old 01-31-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A monologue I've always loved was from the end of Blade Runner. It's short, but very effective:

Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain... Time to die.
Old 01-31-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I asked this question before, but all I found was my "best rants" thread. I also asked it when I was auditioning for a play, but that's in Other somewhere and concerned *all* monologues, so why not one in Movie Talk?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319403

They don't all qualify as monologues, since several of them don't stand alone without the statements that provoked them. But hey, they're fun reads.

I will repost all mine...
What'syour favorite movie rant? A sequence of unabashed vitriol, there to lascerate the poor soul it's visited upon?

My fave. TRAINSPOTTING

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the ****ing Earth! The most wretched miserable servile pathetic trash that was ever shat on civilization. Some people hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to get colonized by. We're ruled by effete *******s. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any ****ing difference!

Let's not forget...
25TH HOUR

Monty's Reflection: **** me? **** you! **** you and this whole city and everyone in it.
**** the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back.
**** squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a ****ing job!
**** the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores and stinking up my day. Terrorists in ****ing training. Slow the **** down!
**** the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35.
**** the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English?
**** the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in cafés, sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you ****ing came from!
**** the black-hatted Chassidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds!
**** the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother ****ers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron *******s to jail for ****ing life! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that shit? Give me a ****ing break! Tyco! Imclone! Adelphia! Worldcom!
**** the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst ****in' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, because they make the Puerto Ricans look good.
**** the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, and their St. Anthony medallions. Swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos.
**** the Upper East Side wives with their Hermés scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart!
**** the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the **** on!
**** the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust!
**** the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. **** the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, **** JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in ****in Otisville, Jay!
**** Osama Bin Laden, Alqueda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist *******s everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal, Irish ass!
**** Jacob Elinski, whining malcontent.
**** Francis Xavier Slaughtery, my best friend, judging me while he stares at my girlfriend's ass.
**** Naturel Rivera. I gave her my trust and she stabbed me in the back. Sold me up the river. ****ing bitch.
**** my father with his endless grief, standing behind that bar. Sipping on club soda, selling whiskey to firemen and cheering the Bronx Bombers.
**** this whole city and everyone in it. From the row houses of Astoria to the penthouses on Park Avenue. From the projects in the Bronx to the lofts in Soho. From the tenements in Alphabet City to the brownstones in Park slope to the split levels in Staten Island. Let an earthquake crumble it. Let the fires rage. Let it burn to ****in ash then let the waters rise and submerge this whole, rat-infested place.
Monty: No. No, **** you, Montgomery Brogan. You had it all and then you threw it away, you dumb ****!

Though it was a deleted scene, I'm also mentioning this from Natural Born Killers.

Mental Patient:KNOCK, KNOCK! Who's there? Mickey! Mickey who? Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mantle, Mickey Rourke, Mickey Finn, Mickey Dolenz, Mickey Knox! Guilty? You bet your ass! But I think Charles Manson said it best when he said -- "I'm not herrrre, man...I'm not here!" I don't blame Mickey or Mallory, I blame Ajax and Jack Frost and Frosted Flakes and Achy Breaky, Lyndon Johnson, Johnny Cash, Johnny Carson, Johnny Quest! I blame the Pope, and Pop-Tarts, the Popile Pocket Fisherman! Ahh! I blame Jif, and jazz and O.J. Simpson, JFK, RFK, FDR, FBI, CIA, STP, AFL, CIO, ABC, NBC, JVC, VCR! I blame John Wilkes Booth and Mark David Chapman and Sirhan Sirhan Sirhan and Mary Tyler Moore! I blame ALL PEOPLE who use three names! Big Bird, blame! Barney, blame! I blame Jesus Christ and Jon Bon Jovi! I stick my right index finger in Wayne Newton's left eyeball! Not their parents, not drugs, not society-at-large. Do you want to know who I really blame? The PITTSBURGH PIRATES because in 1947, Major League Baseball scouted a hot young pitching prospect named Fidel Castro! Hot outta Havana High, he had big speed and a nasty curveball but at the last minute, the teams all rescinded their offers, Just THINK about that! If Fidel had been drafted, huh huh? No Bay of Pigs, no Kennedy assassination, no cover-up, no Vietnam, no Nixon, no Ford, no bell-bottoms, no Brady Bunch, no earthshoes, no Reagan, no CRACK! No, we'd all be eating HOT DOGS and APLLE PIE and smoking BIG FAT CUBAN CIGARS! M-I-C. See you real soon. K-E-Y. Why? Because they want to, that's why.

What about this one? Starts as a harsh speech, ends as nothin' but a rant: CHASING AMY

HOOPER X:F**k Lando Calrissian! Uncle Tom n**ga! Always some white boy gotta invoke `the holy trilogy'. Bust this! Those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down... even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit! You got cracker farm-boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy - blond hair, blue eyes. And then you've got Darth Vader: the blackest brother in the galaxy, NUBIAN motherf**ker...

BANKY:What's a nubian?

HOOPER X: Shut the f**k up! Now Vader, he's a spiritual brother, with the force and all that shit. Then this cracker Skywalker gets his hands on a lightsaber, and the boy decides HE's gonna run the f**king universe! Gets a whole KLAN of whites together, and they're gonna bust up Vader's 'hood, the Death Star. Now what the f**k do you call THAT?

BANKY: ... intergalactic civil war?

HOOPER X: GENTRIFICATION! They're gonna drive OUT the black element, to make the galaxy quote unquote "safe" for white folks! And JEDI's the most insulting installment, because Vader's beautiful black visage is SULLIED when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty old white man! They're trying to tell us, that deep inside, WE ALL WANTS TO BE WHITE!

BANKY: ...well isn't that true?

ADAPTATION.

Robert McKee: Nothing happens in the world?!? Are you out of your f**king mind? People are murdered every day! There's genocide, war, corruption! Every f**king day, somewhere in the world, somebody sacrifices his life to save someone else! Every f**king day, someone, somewhere makes a conscious decision to destroy someone else! People find love, people lose it! For Christ's sake, a child watches her mother beaten to death on the steps of a church! Someone goes hungry! Somebody else betrays his best friend for a woman! If you can't find that stuff in life, then you, my friend, don't know crap about life! And why the F**K are you wasting my two precious hours with your movie? I don't have any use for it! I don't have any bloody use for it!

SEXY BEAST

Don: Shut up, c**t! You louse! You got some ****in' neck, 'aven't you? Retired? F**k off, you're revolting! Look at your suntan, it's leather, it's like leather man, your skin! We could make a ****ing suitcase out of you! Like a crocodile, fat crocodile, fat bastard! You look like f**king Idi Amin, you know what I mean? Stay here? You should be ashamed of yourself! Who do you think you are? King of the castle? Cock of the walk? What you think this is, the wheel of fortune? You think you can make your dough and f**k off? Leave the table? Thanks Don, see you Don, off to sunny Spain now Don, **** off Don! Lying in your pool like a fat blob laughing at me, you think I'm gonna have that? You really think I'm gonna have that, ya ponce. All right, I'll make it easy for you. God knows you're fu*king trying. Are you gonna do the job? It's not a difficult question, are you gonna do the job, YES or NO!

For you, Trigger.

PULP FICTION

Vincent: I've got a threshold, Jules, I've got a threshold for the abuse that I'll take and right now I'm a racecar, man, and you got me in the red. I'm just saying, I'm just SAYING it's ****ing dangerous to have a racecar in the ****ing red, that's all. I might blow.
Jules: Oh, you ready to blow? Well I'm a mushroom-cloud-laying mother*****er, mother*****er! Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm Superfly! TNT! I'm the Guns of the Navarone! IN FACT, what the ***** am I doing in the back? You the ************ should be on brain detail! We ****ing switching, I'm washing the windows and you picking up this ni**er's skull!
Old 01-31-05, 02:34 AM

Kevin Spacey's opening of American Beauty would be great. Challenging to do with the lack of emotion and a pathetic tone. Let us know what you decide to go with and how how it turns out.
Old 01-31-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
easy one for me.....
Blake: Let me have your attention for a moment! So you're talking about what? You're talking about...(puts out his cigarette)...bitching about that sale you shot, some son of a bitch that doesn't want to buy, somebody that doesn't want what you're selling, some broad you're trying to screw and so forth. Let's talk about something important. Are they all here?
Williamson: All but one.
Blake: Well, I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important! (to Levene) Put that coffee down!! Coffee's for closers only. (Levene scoffs) Do you think I'm fucking with you? I am not fucking with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitch and Murray. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Levene?
Levene: Yeah.
Blake: You call yourself a salesman, you son of a bitch?
Moss: I don't have to listen to this shit.
Blake: You certainly don't pal. 'Cause the good news is -- you're fired. The bad news is you've got, all you got, just one week to regain your jobs, starting tonight. Starting with tonights sit. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this months sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone want to see second prize? Second prize's a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired. You get the picture? You're laughing now? You got leads. Mitch and Murray paid good money. Get their names to sell them! You can't close the leads you're given, you can't close shit, you ARE shit, hit the bricks pal and beat it 'cause you are going out!!!
Levene: The leads are weak.
Blake: 'The leads are weak.' Fucking leads are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business fifteen years.
Moss: What's your name?
Blake: FUCK YOU, that's my name!! You know why, Mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove a eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name!! (to Levene) And your name is "you're wanting." And you can't play in a man's game. You can't close them. (at a near whisper) And you go home and tell your wife your troubles. (to everyone again) Because only one thing counts in this life! Get them to sign on the line which is dotted! You hear me, you fucking faggots?
(Blake flips over a blackboard which has two sets of letters on it: ABC, and AIDA.)
Blake: A-B-C. A-always, B-be, C-closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the prospects comin' in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? (to Moss) What's the problem pal? You. Moss.
Moss: You're such a hero, you're so rich. Why you coming down here and waste your time on a bunch of bums?
(Blake sits and takes off his gold watch)
Blake: You see this watch? You see this watch?
Moss: Yeah.
Blake: That watch cost more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see, pal, that's who I am. And you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you -- go home and play with your kids!! (to everyone) You wanna work here? Close!! (to Aaronow) You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you ********er? You can't take this -- how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?! You don't like it -- leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you got, make myself fifteen thousand dollars! Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise! A-I-D-A!! Get mad! You sons of bitches! Get mad!! You know what it takes to sell real estate?
(He pulls something out of his briefcase)
Blake: It takes brass balls to sell real estate.
(He's holding two brass balls on string, over the appropriate "area"--he puts them away after a pause)
Blake: Go and do likewise, gents. The money's out there, you pick it up, it's yours. You don't--I have no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on those sits tonight and close, close, it's yours. If not you're going to be shining my shoes. Bunch of losers sitting around in a bar. (in a mocking weak voice) "Oh yeah, I used to be a salesman, it's a tough racket." (he takes out large stack of red index cards tied together with string from his briefcase) These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. (he hands the stack to Williamson) They're for closers.
I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (to Moss as he puts on his watch again) And to answer your question, pal: why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor, follow my advice and fire your fucking ass because a loser is a loser.

Last edited by tommyp007; 01-31-05 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn beat out on GGR by like 1 minute....here's option #2:

"A lot of people don't realize what's going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don't realize that there's this like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. I'll give you an example. Show you what I mean. Suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly, somebody'll say like, plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No explanation. No point looking for one either. It's all part of the cosmic unconsciousness." Miller, in Repo Man
Old 01-31-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts
I loved Jason Robards' monologue in Magnolia.
Old 01-31-05, 08:31 AM
Banned

Army of Darkness
Ash: See this? This is my boom stick! The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Clerks
Randal Graves: Oh, fuck you! Fuck you, pal! There you go again trying to pass the buck. I'm the source of all your misery. Who closed the store to play hockey? Who closed the store to go to a wake? Who tried to win back his ex girlfriend without even discussing how he felt about it with his present girlfriend? You want someone to blame for today? Blame yourself. "I'm not even supposed to be here today." You sound like an asshole! Jesus, nobody twisted your arm to be here today. You're here under your own volition. You like to think that the weight of the world rests on Dante's shoulders. Like this place would fall apart if Dante wasn't here. Christ, you overcompensate for what's basically a monkey's job. You push fucking buttons. Anybody can just waltz in here and do our jobs. You're so obsessed with making it seem so much more epic and important than it really is. You work at a convenience store, Dante! And badly, I might add! I work at a shitty video store, badly as well. That guy Jay's got it right, man. He's got no delusions about what he does. Us, we like to think that we're so much more advanced than the people that come in here everyday to buy paper, or, god forbid, cigarettes. Well, if we're so fucking advanced, what are we doing working here?

Jaws
Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian t'Leyte, we'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the squares in the old calendars like the Battle o' Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, Reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. Three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the twenty-ninth, nineteen-forty five. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Freddy VS Jason
Freddy Krueger: [narrating] My children... from the very beginning, it was the children who gave me my power. The Springwood Slasher, that's what they called me. My reign of terror was legendary. Dozens of children would fall by my blades. Then the parents of Springwood came for me, taking justice into their own hands. When I was alive, I might have been a little naughty, but after they killed me, I became something much, much worse. The stuff nightmares are made of. The children still feared me, and their fear gave me the power to invade their dreams, and that's when the fun REALLY began. Until they figured out a way to forget about me. To erase me completely. Being dead wasn't a problem, but being forgotten, now that's a BITCH. I can't come back if nobody remembers me. I can't come back if nobody's afraid. I had to search the bowels of Hell, but I found someone, someone who'll make 'em remember. He may get the blood, but I'll get the glory, and that fear is my ticket home.

Vol. 2
Bill: An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race. Sort of like Beatrix Kiddo and Mrs. Tommy Plympton.

Matrix Revolutions
Agent Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more that your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
Neo: Because I choose to.

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 01-31-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ringo20000
I have to do an oral interpretation(which basically means read something with feeling) for a class and I'm having trouble picking something. I had thought of doing the Jules bible passage from Pulp Fiction but it has to be 2 minutes long and I don't think I can stretch it out that long. So any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.
You want feeling? Pick up a copy of The Devil's Advocate and do Al Pacino's monologue from the end on God and the Devil:

( . . . from here: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/aacsu/ . . . )

The Devil’s Advocate
By Jonathan Lemkin and Tony Gilroy

The devil, John Milton, foresees a dark future when the world is run by “Eddie Barzoons”.

John Milton: Eddie Barzoon! Eddie Barzoon! Ha! I nursed him through two divorces, a cocaine rehab, and a pregnant receptionist. God's creature, right? God's special creature? Ha! And I've warned him, I've warned him every step of the way. Watching him bounce around like a game, like a wind-up toy! Like 250 pounds of self-serving greed on wheels! The next thousand years is right around the corner, and Eddie Barzoon--take a good look. Because he's the poster child for the next millennium! These people, it's no mystery where they come from. You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it could split atoms with its desire, you build egos the size of cathedrals, fiberopticly connect the world to every-eager-impulse, grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green gold-played fantasies until every human becomes an aspiring emperor! Becomes his own God! Where can you go from there? And as for scrambling from one deal to the next, who's got his eye on the planet? As the air thickens, the water sours, even the bees honey takes on the metallic taste of radioactivity--and it just keeps coming! And it just keeps coming! Faster and faster! There's no chance to think, to prepare, it's `buy futures, sell futures' when there is no future!! We've got a runaway train, boy!! We've got a billion Eddie Barzoons all jogging into the future. Every one of them reading to destroy God's ex-planet, lick their fingers clean as they reach out with their pristine cybernetic keyboards to total up their billable hours!! And then it hits home! It's a little late in the game to buy out now!! Your belly's too full, your eyes are bloodshot, and you're screaming for someone to help!! But guess what? There's no one there!! You're all alone, You're God's special little creature! Maybe it's true. Maybe God threw the dice once too often. Maybe He let us all down.

You know what I want from you? I want you to be yourself. Y'know, boy, guilt is like a bag of bricks. All you gotta do is set it down.....Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? God? Is that it? God? Well, I'll tell ya, lemme give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts! He gives this extraordinary gift and then--what does he do? I swear--for his own amusement--his own private cosmic gag reel--he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time! Look. But don't touch! Touch. But don't taste! Taste. Don't swallow! [laughs] And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, he's laughing! He's a sadist, he's an absentee landlord!! Worship that? Never!

I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began! [screaming] I've nurtured every sensation Man has been inspired to have! I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man!!

(Calms) I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist. Who, in their right mind, could possibly deny the 20th century was entirely mine? All of it, all of it! Mine! I'M PEAKING HERE! It's my time now. It's our time.
Old 01-31-05, 09:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Another fun one to do would be Bill's "Superman" speech from Kill Bill.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.