Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joan of Arcadia 1/28/05

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joan of Arcadia 1/28/05

Hilary Duff was so bad in the acting department. Amber was literally acting circles around Hilary.

I also think Lucy is the devil (perhaps it's Luci, as in Lucifer). Will appears to be in over his head, but I think the writers will find a way for Will to banish the devil on his own terms.

The whole foreplay between Grace and Luke on the driver's license issue played out to some good middle ground for the two of them, albeit in a circuitous manner (displaying the absurdity of trying to be solidly green with cars).

Sorry to see Adam played by his "mentor", but as Helen observes, at least Adam is capable of producing ideas/work that people want to steal for themselves.

Joan having to deal with the effects of popularity (from doing a heroic act), and then the inevitable turn that happens for any high profile person was probably a short reach for the life cycle of short-lived celebrity, and what it means to not let the situation change you on the inside. Some people are equipped with dealing with when the fame is over, while others aspire for more, or to cling to what little they have. At least we are shown the choices, and it ends better than it started for Joan in some respects.
Old 01-30-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think Hillary Duff was that bad. In fact, she was just about perfect for the character she was playing. The only time I thought her acting suffered was at the very end with the dessert speech. I'm not going to start a fan club, but she didn't ruin the show for me either. BTW, did I hear right in the previews...
Spoiler:
that there'll be another Duff in the next new episode in two weeks?

Interesting theory on Lucy. She certainly seems to be shaping up into a not so great person, which was not exactly where I thought her character would be heading after her first few appearances.
Old 01-30-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Patman
Hilary Duff was so bad in the acting department. Amber was literally acting circles around Hilary.
Well, colour me surprised..

Well, as I stated HERE, I skipped this episode thanks to Hil. Your recap was enough.

In other news..

Why Joan of Arcadia Is Cranky

Maybe it's because she didn't get a Golden Globe nomination this season. Maybe it's because her once-hot CBS series, Joan of Arcadia, is attracting just 8.4 million viewers each week — down from an average of 10 million last season.

Whatever the reason, Amber Tamblyn is clearly unhappy. In a candid interview, the 21-year-old actress talked about her complaints with the direction the show is taking. "Joan is digressing," Tamblyn says of her character, an average — if slightly flaky — teenager who has conversations with the Almighty (in the form of a variety of everyday people).

"Joan is backtracking. Joan is more confused. She learns something in [one] episode, but then she seems to redo [her mistakes] in another, so she never seems to learn anything. I'm not really sure where the growth is."

More than that, "Joan's life is tough," Tamblyn insists. "Her reactions are not as hard as they should be. I want to see her more challenged. The producers know how I feel."

Indeed they do. In December Tamblyn met with producers to push them to take the show in a darker direction. "The reality is that we are a family show and we have been getting a lot of critical praise this season, even though the numbers have wavered," executive producer Stephen Nathan says. Nathan is also quick to point out that "creative differences between producers and actors on a series is the norm, and we think Amber is a phenomenal talent."

CBS declined to comment on Tamblyn's complaints. But if they won't talk to us, they'd better talk to their Emmy-nominated star. "I like to be challenged," Tamblyn says. "If I am not challenged, I get bored. I am here today and I could be gone tomorrow. That could be my choice."
Old 01-30-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually didnt think Hilary was that bad and im not a big fan of hers and i agree with the Lucy/Luci thing,not a bad ep i thought.
Old 01-30-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Amber was literally acting circles around Hilary.
No, not literally.

I've heard the name of Hilary Duff, but I don't know who she is or what she's done, so I didn't have any prejudice against her. She handled the vapid snotty character okay.
Old 01-31-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haylie Duff will be on an upcoming episode. Not sure when, CBS pushed up Hilary's appearance...

EDIT: Just looked on TVTome, Haylie's episode is scheduled for February 18.

Last edited by JP5683; 01-31-05 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amber was literally acting circles around Hilary.
Actually, I'm pretty sure she was figuratively acting circles around here. If she were literally acting circles around her, she would have been walking in circles around here during her scenes, and that would have been distracting.
Old 01-31-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually caught some of this episode (the first Joan of Arcadia I had ever seen) and I liked it. Mostly I liked it because I did not though the great Joe Montagena was a regular on this show. I'm gonna have to check it out more often.
Old 01-31-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've caught eps of this show here & there. Not too bad. But it's been nothing to get me watching every week. I did catch this last one. It was ok. Didn't see anything wrong with Duff's acting. And I certainly wouldn't let an actor keep me from watching a favorite show of mine.

Since I've haven't seen every ep, there's always been one question I've had about this show on the occasions I have watched: Why does God talk to her?
Old 01-31-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel
Why does God talk to her?
She's asked him that herself. I don't think he gave an answer. God likes to talk in riddles.