Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ah! Dreamcast Memories!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah! Dreamcast Memories!!!!

I recently bought another DC (I have 5 now) and some DC games (Project Justice and Marvel vs Capcom 2) and am amazed by how great the gameplay and graphics hold up! This has got to be the one system that died wayyyyy too early. I just dug up Fighting Vipers 2, Virtual On, VF3, Soul Calibur, Tech Romancer, SF3, Super Puzzle Fighter 2, Confidential Mission, Skies of Arcadia, and a slew of other AAA titles. Now I remember why this is my favorite system. Me and my friends used to battle in Marvel vs Capcom 2 and NBA2K2. Anybody else have DC memories? Such an underappreciated system.
Old 01-30-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dusted mine off about 2-3 weeks ago and got back into it. A great system that still holds up even after 5 or 6 years or so.

Even so, why do you have 5 of them?
Old 01-30-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a system which has been hardly used but will never get rid of due to...

Shenmue
RE Nemesis
RE Code Veronica
Dino Crisis

I find it hilarious people are spending $50-$100 for the Resident Evil games on the Gamecube(Nemesis, RE 2)when they are the same exact game. No differences whatsoever. I recently picked up the above RE games for the Dreamcast in mint condition for about $5.00 per game.
Old 01-30-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I dusted mine off about 2-3 weeks ago and got back into it. A great system that still holds up even after 5 or 6 years or so.

Even so, why do you have 5 of them?
Most likely in case they break down. I will probably pick another system up in mint condition or maybe even buy one that is new in box.
Old 01-30-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts
I agree that Sega threw in the towel waaaaaaay too early on the DC. The games released for the DC still look just as good as most PS2 games. I think if EA would have released it's sports games on the system, things might have turned out different for the DreamCast.
Old 01-30-05, 09:34 AM

I loved playing football on the Dreamcast due to the VMU. It made playing with a buddy a total blast. I don't know about you but...I hate seeing my opponent scrolling through plays. I like to know there is no way in the world they have an inkling of what play I am calling save for the formation. As it is I usually fun majority of my plays from one or two sets ...just to keep them guessing.

I have Shenmue and Jet Set Radio still in wrap...as well as Skies of Arcadia which I loaned to a cousin but have not played save for a few minutes.

I've been meaning to finish RE:CV, I only got to the beginning of the second disc. I didn't know they had Nemesis for DC. I wonder if it was a port of the PS version. I am guessing it is a port otherwise I think I would have heard about the game. When I hear/read about RE ..the only game that is ever mentioned is CV and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in the gaming I like.

I also loved the Dreamcast online network. I spent way way too many hours playing PSO. I am dumbfounded how Sega found it necessary to charge for PSO v2.
Old 01-30-05, 10:39 AM

RE2 is out for DC, also... I finished Nemesis, it was great, but I never did finish RE:CV... got to the airplane (end of disc 1), and didn't have the ammo to beat that big bastard that snuck aboard. Too bad the ammo cheat only works for a new game.
Old 01-30-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by gorgo99
RE2 is out for DC, also... I finished Nemesis, it was great, but I never did finish RE:CV... got to the airplane (end of disc 1), and didn't have the ammo to beat that big bastard that snuck aboard. Too bad the ammo cheat only works for a new game.
same here, I used all my ammo to get past him (Tyrant) the first time, so that he falls and you can run past him. by the time I got to the plane I had only those crossbow arrow things. it was super lame.

loved my dreamcast, I regret selling it a while ago. might have to pick one up soon just to play Power Stone 1 and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 again. so much fun.
Old 01-30-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite games of all time. I also love Grandia II, Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, and Record of Lodoss War. I'm holding on to the system for the last two alone.
Old 01-30-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by maxpower
I loved playing football on the Dreamcast due to the VMU. It made playing with a buddy a total blast. I don't know about you but...I hate seeing my opponent scrolling through plays. I like to know there is no way in the world they have an inkling of what play I am calling save for the formation. As it is I usually fun majority of my plays from one or two sets ...just to keep them guessing.
I loved that feature too.The ability for my opponent to see my plays i am choosing from has always bothered me on the other systems.

I miss playing my Dreamcast.I have been thinking about restarting Shenmue from the beginning since i never finished it back in the day.
Old 01-30-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to buy another DC...my old one has pretty much bit the dust, it only works if the system is upside down. DC had two of the best wrestling games ever, Giant Gram 2000 and Toukon Retsudan 4.
Old 01-30-05, 12:42 PM
Li

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
It only works if the system is upside down.
That's funny because mine did the same thing. It stopped working so we sent it away to be fixed. It worked for a while after that but then stopped again. I was still able to get it to play one game if the system was upside down. Weird.
Old 01-30-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I agree, I love my Dreamcast. Ikaruga is the single best shooter I think I've ever played and I actually really enjoyed RE:CV, it wasn't the best put together RE game but I seemed to enjoy it the most of the bunch - save for RE4 which blows it out of the water. Hell, I even love Powerstone.

I had to bust the system out recently to try out Chaos Field (came out 12/16/04 in Japan), fun conversion - though I never played the arcade ones.
Old 01-30-05, 03:21 PM

So how does Nemesis on DC compare to CV?...am I mistaken or did CV come out before Nemesis. It's always been my impression that CV has been one of the premier graphic games for the DC. It was always...Soul Calibur and CV as having the best graphics.
Old 01-30-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasted many many hours playing PSO on the DC. I also, oddly enough, enjoyed Seaman. Such a hilarious "game" in the loosest sense of the word. As far as party games Sanfrancisco Rush 2049 (or some year in the future) was a blast to play with 4 players. We all had our own names saved on vmu (which were awesome for the mini-games you could play) and hardcore tracked our stats on Rush.
Old 01-30-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved my $19 DC (thanks to amazon gift certs from freeride, those were the days). But eventually the laser started giving me hell so I eventually sold it. I don't regret it as I have the games I had for it on newer systems (Skies of Arcadia, RE, Virtua Fighter, Super Puzzle Fighter, Ikaruga, etc.)

however I still wish sega would bring Shenmue back to life for a part 3, even though it isn't likely given what they just did with the series.
Old 01-30-05, 05:21 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
What gets me is that most used stores don't carry discs for it... Sure, they have N64 and Playstation games, but Dreamcast is too old? - unappreciated? - low selling? for them to carry...
Old 01-30-05, 06:59 PM

I loved the SEGA Rally titles for this. And the graphics on DOA (2? - I forget the last one they made for it) hold up remarkably well against even some current next-gen titles. SEGA just was never good at marketing to the public, they'd release a console and hold their breath, hoping for success. It worked on the Genesis (man, I love that console) but Sony had the marketing machine in full gear for PS2, and SEGA didn't even try to fight back.
Old 01-30-05, 07:48 PM

Glad to see all these responses for a great and underappreciated system. Its truly great to see fellow gamers that truly support a system based on great games instead of the hype factor or big releases.

The reason I bought so many DCs (5) is to change the system shells and to add one to every TV in the house and for future support just in case one dies out.

And I agree, I don't understand why people bought the GC res evil ports when the DC ones are identical either. I guess those are the ultra collectors or the ppl with too much money on their hands.
Old 01-30-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I jumped onto the DC wagon pretty late(bought late '02), so I missed out on a lot of goodness. I do have some great games for the system, but since game stores don't carry the system anymore and no video stores rent it, it's kind of difficult for me to find any games. EB has had Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II LE and Sword of the Berserk sitting on their shelf for a few months, but since they want $17.99 for each one I haven't snapped them up yet.

Originally Posted by indy2029
And I agree, I don't understand why people bought the GC res evil ports when the DC ones are identical either. I guess those are the ultra collectors or the ppl with too much money on their hands.
I got them(very cheap on release) to own the entire series on GameCube, which I imagine is the reason most people did. They're not updated, but at least I can play the entire series now on a single system(not that system selection is a problem for me, I have plenty of them).
Besides, I'm a diehard RE fan, and my friends think I'm crazy owning multiple copies of the games, especially the original RE: Saturn, long box PSX, original Director's Cut with RE2 demo, Greatest Hits Director's Cut, Japanese Director's Cut, and REbirth on GC.
Old 01-30-05, 10:45 PM

only the best racer of all time. Daytona USA. I wish I wish I could get it for the ps2,
Remember the goofy soundtrack.. Rolling Staarrrrrtttt! Ah those were the days
Old 01-31-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jet Grind Radio is still one of my favorite games. Sega was firing on all cylinders back then and I don't think we'll ever see so many gamer's games in such a short period of time again.
Old 01-31-05, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by blakader
only the best racer of all time. Daytona USA. I wish I wish I could get it for the ps2,
Remember the goofy soundtrack.. Rolling Staarrrrrtttt! Ah those were the days
Holy crap why don't I have that game? I guess I just played it to death with the two different versions on my Saturn.

Ha, well, looks like I need to track a copy down. I've got like a grandiose amount of games for the DC, but I need a new system. My first one broke, my second one is somewhere in New York. That and I'm dying to play some more RE CV and maybe take another crack at Shenmue.

"Do you know where I can find some sailors?" Classic!
Old 01-31-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
One of the best systems I own, and still play Two new shooters just got released for the DC sadly hey may not get a US release on another console.
Old 01-31-05, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Holy crap why don't I have that game? I guess I just played it to death with the two different versions on my Saturn.

Ha, well, looks like I need to track a copy down. I've got like a grandiose amount of games for the DC, but I need a new system. My first one broke, my second one is somewhere in New York. That and I'm dying to play some more RE CV and maybe take another crack at Shenmue.

"Do you know where I can find some sailors?" Classic!

You need to get it for the dreamcast. I'm not sure of what the saturn had but there were more than the 3 tracks from the arcade version. Man was it fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.