Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 tickets....which one should I choose?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. so I get home from work, and there is a message on my answering maching saying that my friend just bought a suite(one of the best) for the u2 concert on April 1st. The suite is located 50 feet from the stage. I really want to go, but my friend says he needs to cover the cost of the suite and is charging $125.00 per ticket(no service fee....just flat out).
Here is my dilemma. I'm thinking should I just go with the floor seats if I can get those, or go with this suite?

Lets look at the positive and negatives for both:

Suite

1) Pluses- 1) Not having to arrive a day before the concert starts to get close to the stage( Not smashed together). VIP parking

2) Minuses- Your 60 feet the stage as opposed to right there. At $125.00 a pop, that can turn into an expensive evening.

Floor-

Pluses- 1) Price- at $49.50, and a chnce to get as close to the greatest band its pretty amazing.
2) Being with Real u2 fans- usually the true fans are the ones on the floor.

Minuses- 1)- If your a short person(I will be going with someone who is 5'1), you will have difficulty seeing anything in this stage.
2) Being smashed together and feeling like you can't breathe is sometimes less than desirable for some.

So I want to ask all U2 fans who have attended any show, which of these is my best bet. Which is the one I should go with?
Old 01-28-05, 10:34 PM

If money is not a problem go for the suite...then get tixs for another show on the floor. Works for me
Old 01-28-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this even a dilemma, $49.50 plus $30 service charge from ticketmaster or $125 suite?
Old 01-28-05, 10:53 PM
Banned

don't think I get the whole suite for $125, its a huge giant suite( the biggest at the Pond) and I believe there will be at total of 15 people MAX in the suite, including me my friend and a guest I'm bringing. So is the suite is what everybody here would go with?
Old 01-29-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Yes. How sweet would it be to say you had a 'private' suite at U2? Not to mention, your short guest will appreciate it all the more. I suffered through seats at a Tool concert because I brought a shortie, and she let me know how glad she was we weren't on the floor.
Old 01-29-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Go for the suite. Hell, I just paid $165 to get section 105 row 12 here

Old 01-29-05, 11:38 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I passed on Row 3 Section 102 in Chicago during the presale, but was only able to get Section 106 Row 8 today. Much harder to get tickets this time than any other time, even back in 1987. Ticketmaster's website is useless for buying tickets, you have to go to a ticket center.
Old 01-29-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Perry, Have they added a 5th show yet? i didn't get in until the 4th show was added.
Old 01-29-05, 11:47 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
No 5th show yet, my wife is hanging around in Carson Pirie Scotts just in case though. We have tickets to the 4th show also. Ticketmaster says all 4 Chicago shows are sold out already.

Last edited by PerryD; 01-29-05 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-29-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suite.
Old 01-29-05, 05:16 PM
Banned

Thanks for all your help. I plan on trying to buy 2 tickets tomorrow for the floor(i know, good luck trying to pull it off), then selling them on ebay for alot more, using the money recouped to pay for 2 tickets into my friend's suite, with money left over. This will make it seem like I am getting paid to go see U2.
Old 01-29-05, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
Thanks for all your help. I plan on trying to buy 2 tickets tomorrow for the floor(i know, good luck trying to pull it off), then selling them on ebay for alot more, using the money recouped to pay for 2 tickets into my friend's suite, with money left over. This will make it seem like I am getting paid to go see U2.
That is an asshole thing to do by the way.
Old 01-29-05, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neiname
That is an asshole thing to do by the way.

Yes it is. This way, with the way the market is for this concert, I'll be able to see U2 in a suite, pay for dinner and still end up with money in my pocket. You gotta love capitalism!!!!
Old 01-29-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
Yes it is. This way, with the way the market is for this concert, I'll be able to see U2 in a suite, pay for dinner and still end up with money in my pocket. You gotta love capitalism!!!!
Oh, Dalvin. You're so nutty!!!!
Old 01-29-05, 06:12 PM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts
The chance of you getting to the front is about the same as everyone else on the floor's chance, which is not terribly a lot, if you all want it badly enough.

Maybe I'm an old fogey, but if I pay for a seat at a concert, dammit, I want to sit. I'll stand when they come out and stand for the encore and what-not, but that middle 1-2 hours? Hey, I'll rest my feet, thanks.
Old 01-29-05, 08:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I disagree with everyone, I guess.

I went with the GA tickets in their last tour and I could NEVER go back. We got there many hours before the show, hung out w/cool U2 fans all day, and ended up in the FRONT @!)(#* ROW. How can you beat that? It totally rocked, and The Edge handed me a guitar pick at the end.

I'm 35 and first saw U2 on the Joshua Tree tour. Maybe if I were 75 I'd go sit in a suite and smoke cigars and nod approvingly, but for me (and price has nothing to do with it) nothing beats being right down in front. It's the full experience.

And as an aside, I ended up getting 2 GA tickets for the newly-added 5/12 Chicago show as it popped up on Ticketmonster this morning. Sweetest Thing. See you there.
Old 01-30-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uteotw
I disagree with everyone, I guess.

I went with the GA tickets in their last tour and I could NEVER go back. We got there many hours before the show, hung out w/cool U2 fans all day, and ended up in the FRONT @!)(#* ROW. How can you beat that? It totally rocked, and The Edge handed me a guitar pick at the end.

I'm 35 and first saw U2 on the Joshua Tree tour. Maybe if I were 75 I'd go sit in a suite and smoke cigars and nod approvingly, but for me (and price has nothing to do with it) nothing beats being right down in front. It's the full experience.

And as an aside, I ended up getting 2 GA tickets for the newly-added 5/12 Chicago show as it popped up on Ticketmonster this morning. Sweetest Thing. See you there.
I would never go to a GA concert. I am just a bit older than you and have done this many times as a kid but I will take SEC 113 3rd row at the UC and smile that I dont have to deal with that crap and be just about as close and about a head above with a clear view and have a seat when I choose to sit.
Old 01-31-05, 01:32 AM

I'm used to seeing bands in GA environments - there are no seats at most of the clubs I used to go to in DC (9:30 Club, Black Cat, Velvet Lounge). I got incredibly lucky and landed floor tix for the second San Diego show, and I am pumped.

RS
Old 01-31-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I love GA and would always choose being close.