Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

"Animal Crossing" accessing NES classics?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 04:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

This is the extension from the "Super Punchout" thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
If you hook up the Action Replay you can get the rare NES games almost from the start. You will have to play the game a little bit though. When you first arrive at town there are some tasks you have to complete before you can start doing anything you want. It doesn't take very long though.

You can unlock all the rare games with the Action Replay including ones like Zelda that to my knowledge are impossible to unlock through normal play. All play full screen and most can be transferred to the GBA, but not Zelda or Punchout. I don't think the Action Replay gives you the more common ones though. I got those just by playing the game. It will give you Punchout though.

ok, i got AC used. The guy I bought it from at Gamestop said I would need the "Animal Crossing Action Replay" disc,
1) is this true??
Since it was used I didn't get the AC memory card..
2) is this going to hurt me?
3) Also, why won't Action Replay unlock all the games? I would want Donkey Kong and DK Jr..
4) When you unlock the games using the codes do you need to input the codes and use the action replay everytime you want to play the classic games? cause that would suck.
5) how do you get it to the GBA? and how will it stay on the GBA if you disconnect or does that mean you can't play when you don't have AC going on the cube and linked up to the GBA at the same time?

Lastly,
6) Where do I get all the codes and will that list what code is for what game?

Thanks for all this help.
Old 01-28-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Hopefully this will answer your questions. If not, let me know.

- Using your own memory card won't hurt you. If you bought Animal Crossing new, you would start with two games, but you can get those games through normal means.
- Action replay will unlock all the games, if you have the right codes.
- After unlocking the games with Action Replay, you would not need Action Replay again
- Action replay is the only way to get the "Forbidden Four": Ice Climbers, Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros
- Using action replay will prevent your town from ever being "perfect"
- If you want the Forbidden Four without screwing up your towns perfectness, create a second town on another memory card, use action replay on your second town, then travel from the second town to the first town, and then drop the games on the ground for your real character to pick up.
- Without Action Replay, Baseball and Wario's Woods can only be obtained if you have GBA connectivity, or if you use a code generator (or have someone use a code gen for you)
- Clu Clu Land Deluxe, Donkey Kong 3, Donkey Kong Jr, and Soccer have been obtainable through the Nintneod website (or now also through Nintendo Europe website). If they aren't currently giving away any of those games (Nintendo US has been giving away Soccer only for years), the only way, without Action Replay, to get those games is through a code generator
- CCLD, DK 3, DK Jr, Soccer, Baseball, Wario's Woods are untradeable
- All games not mentioned above can be traded for and obtained through normal play
- gamefaqs.com message boards may have to most annoying members in the world, but it is the only active Animal Crossing trading board that I know of.
Old 01-28-05, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Hopefully this will answer your questions. If not, let me know.

- Using your own memory card won't hurt you. If you bought Animal Crossing new, you would start with two games, but you can get those games through normal means.
- Action replay will unlock all the games, if you have the right codes.
- After unlocking the games with Action Replay, you would not need Action Replay again
- Action replay is the only way to get the "Forbidden Four": Ice Climbers, Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros
- Using action replay will prevent your town from ever being "perfect"
- If you want the Forbidden Four without screwing up your towns perfectness, create a second town on another memory card, use action replay on your second town, then travel from the second town to the first town, and then drop the games on the ground for your real character to pick up.
- Without Action Replay, Baseball and Wario's Woods can only be obtained if you have GBA connectivity, or if you use a code generator (or have someone use a code gen for you)
- Clu Clu Land Deluxe, Donkey Kong 3, Donkey Kong Jr, and Soccer have been obtainable through the Nintneod website (or now also through Nintendo Europe website). If they aren't currently giving away any of those games (Nintendo US has been giving away Soccer only for years), the only way, without Action Replay, to get those games is through a code generator
- CCLD, DK 3, DK Jr, Soccer, Baseball, Wario's Woods are untradeable
- All games not mentioned above can be traded for and obtained through normal play
- gamefaqs.com message boards may have to most annoying members in the world, but it is the only active Animal Crossing trading board that I know of.
thanks for all the info. i think it was too much as i don't understand most of it.
1st i don't want to play AC at all as I have no interest or time to play. i simply bought to play all the classics.
are you saying i cannot unlock DK 3 and those others with the Action Replay? all others i can including: original DK, Punchout, DK Jr., and maybe Zelda?
and what do you mean by trade? trade what? thanks again.
Old 01-28-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Animal Crossing has a code system that lets you trade items with any other Animal Crossing player around the world. All you need to know is their town name and player name.

Using that code system, you can get every game except Ice Climbers, Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, and Mario Bros. The other untradable games can still be gotten through code generators, despite the fact that in game, you can never get those codes.

There are probably action replay codes to unlock all the games, I haven't checked. Even if there aren't, just use Action Replay to get the Fourbidden Four games, then use a code generator to get Animal Crossing codes for the other games. If you want, I can generate you codes for all the non-Forbidden Four games if you give me your town and player name.
Old 01-28-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I'm too lazy to look, but can you find the "Forbidden Four" in the game? Even by chance?

It seems weird they would program the games in but make it impossible to unlock them without a non-Nintendo peripheral.

Or were they supposed to be unlocked by the e-Reader?
Old 01-28-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm too lazy to look, but can you find the "Forbidden Four" in the game? Even by chance?
Nope.

It seems weird they would program the games in but make it impossible to unlock them without a non-Nintendo peripheral.
They didn't have to program anything. They already had a working emulator. All they had to do was put it on the disc in unused space. The reason for not letting you get them after all was probably the GBA Classic series.

Or were they supposed to be unlocked by the e-Reader?
Mario Bros. and Ice Climbers are available through the Series 4 E-Reader cards, if I'm not mistaken. Zelda and SMB definitely aren't.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 01-28-05 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-28-05, 06:43 PM

Animal Crossing has a code system that lets you trade items with any other Animal Crossing player around the world. All you need to know is their town name and player name.

Using that code system, you can get every game except Ice Climbers, Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, and Mario Bros. The other untradable games can still be gotten through code generators, despite the fact that in game, you can never get those codes.

There are probably action replay codes to unlock all the games, I haven't checked. Even if there aren't, just use Action Replay to get the Fourbidden Four games, then use a code generator to get Animal Crossing codes for the other games. If you want, I can generate you codes for all the non-Forbidden Four games if you give me your town and player name.
jeremy...you are being so helpful and i appreciate this immensly, i am just way confused. i think i just simply want to use Action Replay and get all the classic games, but i can't even find the 'official' codes anywhere.
Old 01-28-05, 07:49 PM

and how do you play the emulated games on the GBA?
Old 01-28-05, 08:38 PM

Help! Just started..trying to buy house..can't exit out of item screen?

I just started the game, went through naming myself and town, rode the train and now with Tom Nook. Saw the houses and wanted to buy one (thought that is what i was supposed to do) have no money though. And now I cannot exit out of the items screen. There is options for 'Give' and 'Quit' but either one does the same thing and Tom says you 'you better pay it all back or i will have to give you a talking to'

Does anyone know what i should do????

Thanks so much for any help!!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-29-05 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-28-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly, you have to wander for a little while and meet the townsfolk. After that, go to Tom Nook who will loan you the cash for the house...I think.
Old 01-29-05, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
They didn't have to program anything. They already had a working emulator. All they had to do was put it on the disc in unused space. The reason for not letting you get them after all was probably the GBA Classic series.
So they put games on the disc you weren't supposed to be able to play?

What the hell? What's the point of that?
Old 01-29-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
All those games were available through various contests or through E-reader cards. Just do a quick EBay search.

You can still get a perfect town with the AR. Although you might not be able to have it on at the time.

In order to get the game on the GBA just hook it up with cable then stand in front of the game and ask for Advance play. It will then download the game to your GBA. You can then unhook it from the GC. There is a sleep function but you can't turn it off. And why am I telling you this, Isn't all this in the instruction manual?

I dare you not to get addicted.
Old 01-29-05, 05:50 AM

thanks tanman, got any suggestions for my 3 posts above predicament?
Old 01-29-05, 01:13 PM

How do you plat the Classics once you get them?

I got all the leaves I wanted from the Police Station, but I have no idea how to play them. Can someone please help me out?
Old 01-29-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just set the game leaf down in your room and it'll turn into an NES, then you can just talk to it and enjoy playing punchout .

i also recommend wario's woods, nice fun game (especially 2 player).
Old 01-29-05, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw
just set the game leaf down in your room and it'll turn into an NES, then you can just talk to it and enjoy playing punchout .

i also recommend wario's woods, nice fun game (especially 2 player).
thanks outlaw, that did it.
Old 01-29-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
did you get past your previous predicament? I have no idea what that was. Was he asking for you to pay for your house at the time? If so then I don't think you have a choice but to give him the money.

Again I dare you not to get addicted
Old 01-29-05, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
did you get past your previous predicament? I have no idea what that was. Was he asking for you to pay for your house at the time? If so then I don't think you have a choice but to give him the money.

Again I dare you not to get addicted
i will never play Animal Crossing again! I got all my classics and that is it. I didn't like what I had to go through at all to get it and thus I am out. I can't wait to play the death out of the classics though. I am such an old-school gamer and damn proud of it!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-05, 11:04 AM

I really don't think he cares anything at all about the game itself (neither do I really), only the NES classics. So spare the speeches about the HRA, perfect town, bla, bla, bla...

I was somewhat of a legend at the gamefaqs boards. I used to offer a service where you could send me a memory card and I would drop the games into your town. I don't do it anymore, but I can tell you all of the 19 included NES games and how to get them.:

1. Balloon Fight
2. Baseball
3. Clu Clu Land
4. Clu Clu Land D (Never before released in the US)
5. Donkey Kong
6. Donkey Kong Jr.
7. Donkey Kong 3
8. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
9. Excitebike
10. Golf
11. Ice Climber
12. The Legend of Zelda
13. Mario Bros.
14. Pinball
15. Punch-Out!! (same as Mike Tyson's version, only now a white guy named Mr. Dream)
16. Soccer
17. Super Mario Bros.
18. Tennis
19. Wario's Woods

OK, the four so-called "forbidden" games are: Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., Ice Climber and Zelda. Ice Climber and Mario Bros. can be obtained with the Animal Crossing series 4 e-reader cards. There was never an official way to get the other 2 or Punch-Out. I don't know if you've ever looked at the "catalog" of items you can order at Tom Nook's store, but the four games above will never shown above will never be in it. Punch-Out will. Catalog items only appear after you have owned them, so it's sorta pointless as some items will appear in the catalog, but can't be ordered. It's more of a checklist.

OK, you can use the "real" Action Replay, meaning not just for Animal Crossing, or the specific ultimate codes disc that is just for AC. If you use the Ultimate Codes disc, you can not get Mario Bros, however.

OK, use the AR code for the hidden games. You should get the four special games. If it's an older AR or the UC disc, you will get Punch-Out instead of Mario Bros. The codes on the UC AC disc are not re-writable, but the ones on an Action Replay are. If you don't get Mario Bros., go to codejunkies.com and get the updated code. To get any other game, use the codes for "100% full Nook Catalog" and "All Items Cost 1 Bell". Then you can buy all of the other games from the catalog. You need to have a slightly bigger house to fit all 19 games in. To do this, use the AR to get enough bells to pay back Mr. Nook and he will upgrade your house the next time after you "save and quit". Speaking of that, you may have noticed a character named Mr. Resetti. YOU MUST ALWAYS "save and quit" when you are done playing or he will come out and yell at you when you restart the game next time. He does no damage (though you may lose items from before your last save) other than annoy you and make you wait before you can play the game.
Old 01-30-05, 12:03 PM

no need to explain i used a regular AR and got all the games. i am happy and this thread can be closed. thanks!
Old 01-31-05, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
All those games were available through various contests or through E-reader cards. Just do a quick EBay search.

You can still get a perfect town with the AR. Although you might not be able to have it on at the time.

In order to get the game on the GBA just hook it up with cable then stand in front of the game and ask for Advance play. It will then download the game to your GBA. You can then unhook it from the GC. There is a sleep function but you can't turn it off. And why am I telling you this, Isn't all this in the instruction manual?

I dare you not to get addicted.
so all i have to do is hook up GC to GBA when i have a classic up and do advance play correct? then i will have the classic on GBA. to have the classic on the GBA all day let's say all i need to do is put GBA in sleep mode instead of turning off.

now, by doing this is it bad for the GBA to have it on sleep for say 10 hrs. because i play on and off during the day and want to keep a classic there to play all day. what is the battery life with sleep mode (how long will it last)? also, how do you put it in sleep mode?

thanks again for all the info.
Old 01-31-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not all games can be transferred to the GBA.
Old 01-31-05, 06:29 PM

Not all games can be transferred to the GBA.
can u elaborate...and maybe answer some of my questions? thanks much.
Old 01-31-05, 08:35 PM

I can. Clu Clu Land D, The Legend of Zelda, Punch-Out!! and Wario's Woods are the ones that can't be transfered.

so all i have to do is hook up GC to GBA when i have a classic up and do advance play correct? then i will have the classic on GBA. to have the classic on the GBA all day let's say all i need to do is put GBA in sleep mode instead of turning off.
Exactly. All of the games will have the two player options disabled. To put the GBA in sleep mode depends on the game. For the Animal Crossing games, simply press the L and R buttons at the same time and a menu will pop up. Select sleep mode and there ya are. There will also be instructions for getting out of sleep mode. I'm not exactly sure on the battery life for sleep mode, but it's almost as if the GBA is off. The screen and sound completly shut off, and almost no resourses are being used. You may be able to find out how long it lasts in the GBA manual or Nintendo.com.

Another trick when playing them on the GameCube is that you can reset the game. Normally, you hold L and R and press Z to get back to AC. If you instead press Start instead of "Z" the game will reset.

Also, all of the games use the same one block of GCN memory to save. If you want to start a new game of Super Mario Bros., say after you've beaten the game and all of the goombas are replaced with buzzy beetles, you can erase the save file. However if you don't want to also erase your progress in Zelda or something, you can start the game from another house. To do this, simply create a new Animal Crossing game. You only have to get to the point where you can save. Once you start a new game, walk into the house you originally made and play those games. They will be saved separatly, yet still within that same save block.

Last edited by marioxb; 01-31-05 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by marioxb
I can. Clu Clu Land D, The Legend of Zelda, Punch-Out!! and Wario's Woods are the ones that can't be transfered.

Exactly. All of the games will have the two player options disabled. To put the GBA in sleep mode depends on the game. For the Animal Crossing games, simply press the L and R buttons at the same time and a menu will pop up. Select sleep mode and there ya are. There will also be instructions for getting out of sleep mode. I'm not exactly sure on the battery life for sleep mode, but it's almost as if the GBA is off. The screen and sound completly shut off, and almost no resourses are being used. You may be able to find out how long it lasts in the GBA manual or Nintendo.com.

Another trick when playing them on the GameCube is that you can reset the game. Normally, you hold L and R and press Z to get back to AC. If you instead press Start instead of "Z" the game will reset.

Also, all of the games use the same one block of GCN memory to save. If you want to start a new game of Super Mario Bros., say after you've beaten the game and all of the goombas are replaced with buzzy beetles, you can erase the save file. However if you don't want to also erase your progress in Zelda or something, you can start the game from another house. To do this, simply create a new Animal Crossing game. You only have to get to the point where you can save. Once you start a new game, walk into the house you originally made and play those games. They will be saved separatly, yet still within that same save block.
you can't transfer Punch-out?? that was basically the one i wanted too. say it isn't so. i thought i saw the advanced play option for punch-out?

also, when the GBA is in sleep mode, what will happen if you then plug it back in to recharge? can you do that, let it recharge and still have the transferred game on GBA?
thanks for the info. marioxb!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.