Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bright Eyes - Anyone pick up the two new lps?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Digital Ash in a Digital Urn

Picked these up at Best Buy ($7.99 each) because I've heard good things about Bright Eyes. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is quite good. Mainly acoustic with some gorgeous Emmylou Harris backup vocals. The last three tracks (land locked blues/poisoned oak/road to joy) are outstanding. Digital Ash is electronic and I'm just starting to get into that disc. All in all, I'm pretty impressed and $16 for both discs can't be beat. I may pick up their/his last record Lifted because I hear it is also pretty good.

Anyone else pick these up?
Old 01-29-05, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I picked them up at Tower for 7.99 each. They were better than I was expecting.

Not to promote the "single" mentality or anything (these albums should be listened to as a whole), btu my favorite tracks are:
Devil In The Details (from Digital Ash...)
We Are Nowhere And It's Now (from I'm Wide Awake...)

I'd have to say that I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is a better album musically and everything, but I like Digital Ash In A Digital Urn better. Closer to my "type" of music, or something.

Brian
Old 01-29-05, 11:56 AM

I picked up both album on Tuesday (1/25) but I had to go to Borders ($9.99) because my local Best Buy and Circuit City were sold out. I really love "I'm Wide Awake..." but I havent really got into "Digital Ash..." yet. Also, Bright Eyes has a FREE exclusive download on iTunes this week, "When the President Talks to God." It's great, I heard him play it on the Vote for Change tour.
Old 01-29-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KV12482
Also, Bright Eyes has a FREE exclusive download on iTunes this week, "When the President Talks to God." It's great, I heard him play it on the Vote for Change tour.
I will check this out.
Old 01-29-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both Cd's are great, but I'm going with "I'm Wide Awake" as the better of the two.
Old 01-30-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think there's any comparison. I've been listening to "I'm Wide Awake" for 2 months now, and it is a flat masterpiece.

Digital Ash is good, but nowhere close to the more acoustic one.
Old 03-12-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got I'm Wide Awake... great songs but the guy's whiny voice make me want to shake him and shout "GROW A FUCKING PAIR!!!" Jesus, want a wuss.
Old 03-27-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
These entered my CD changer the week I got them (right around the time they came out), and I don't think they will leave for a while.

Digital Ash is not as bad as an album as people say, there's some really good songs underneath all the production tricks. I think you are meant to listen to that first, as a lot of it deals with drinking, being out, night-life, etc. The Wide Awake album is a follow-up and redemption to last night's problems, then ends with these lines midway through the last song:

"I've got my drugs, I've got my woman, they help keep away my loneliness"

which just brings us back full circle to the previous/next album.

As much as these aren't a double album, it is interesting to listen to them as such.
Old 03-28-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I picked up I'm Wide Awake at Target awhile back for $5.99 (!), and it's a terrific album. Haven't heard Digital Ash yet, but I'd pick it up for the right price.
Old 03-28-05, 09:28 PM

good buys! I like digital ash better, but both are excellent. Track 3 on digital ash blows me away.

As for all of his albums, "Lifted or..." is my favorite. It has been a constant listen of mine for the past 3 or 4 years, since it came out. His songwriting is unbelievable, consindering he's 24, i believe. His early stuff is even really good. "Fevers and Mirrors" is good, his first full length "Letting off Happiness" is surprisingly good for an 18 year old. His split ep with Son, Ambulance is great, basically everything he puts out is wonderful. Even his early stuff from "A Collection of Songs" from 95-97 is pretty good after a couple listens. He was around 15 or 16 at the time and youc an tell in his voice, but still worth listening.
Old 03-28-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Gotta say, I have no idea why people like this garbage so much. Now, I'm sorry for threadcrapping but I can't help it. Everywhere you turn you see comparisons to Dylan??
Give me a break, It's just more whiny, boring bullshit.

Sorry once again to be the ass of the thread and I'll leave you with this..............WAKE THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-05, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
Gotta say, I have no idea why people like this garbage so much. Now, I'm sorry for threadcrapping but I can't help it. Everywhere you turn you see comparisons to Dylan??
Give me a break, It's just more whiny, boring bullshit.

Sorry once again to be the ass of the thread and I'll leave you with this..............WAKE THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!
so, does that mean you did or you did not pick up the 2 new lp's?
Old 03-29-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by xDareDevilx
so, does that mean you did or you did not pick up the 2 new lp's?
Yep, I picked them up and only made it through Morning before I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 03-29-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rival11
Yep, I picked them up and only made it through Morning before I couldn't take it anymore.
I'd say the same thing. They're good albums but awfully grad-student whiny and annoying. If you have a high tolerence for a millionaire 23 year old's sophomoric meanderings on this girl who, like, totally dumped him and his Proust fascination, you might actually discover some great songs in the murk. If not, avoid them like the plague.
Old 06-11-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone had a hard time ripping I'm Wide Awake to their computer?

I was trying to upload this to my IPod, but my laptop cd player cannot read the disc or something
Old 06-11-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have tons of different music, and like just about anything. but i have to say, these two albums contain some of the worst musical vomit i've ever heard.
Old 06-11-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Applejack
Has anyone had a hard time ripping I'm Wide Awake to their computer?

I was trying to upload this to my IPod, but my laptop cd player cannot read the disc or something
I had the exact same problem with Wide Awake. Apparently there was some pressing problems with some of the discs. I ended up just downloading it, since I felt I had the right to do so