Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

kill bill vol. 1 oddity

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

kill bill vol. 1 oddity

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kill bill vol. 1 oddity

is it common place to bring swords onboard planes in the far east? i'm pretty sure *someone* would frown upon that here in the states.

maybe it's because she makes no attempt to hide it that it's ok?
Old 01-28-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
It would never happen in real life, but I bought it in the context of the fantasy.
Old 01-28-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So you have no problem that she was able to force her legs (purely by thought!) to work again in only about 20 minutes, but the sword on the plane thing bugged you? MMkay....
Old 01-28-05, 12:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Actually, it took several hours for her to get her legs moving. Not 20 minutes.
Old 01-28-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
People have suggested that isn't The Bride's sword beside her on the plane, that it is just an ornemental part of the seat. If you'll look in the wide shot, you can see that other seats have the swords there too.

That probabley was the intention, but I like the idea that in the Kill Bill world, there is still a samuri culture, and people are walking around carrying swords like gunslingers in the old West.
Old 01-28-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
is it common place to bring swords onboard planes in the far east? i'm pretty sure *someone* would frown upon that here in the states.

maybe it's because she makes no attempt to hide it that it's ok?
i find for A LOT of movies, you need to just suspend common beliefs.. maybe that is part of the appeal of movies.. for 120 mins, you are thrown in a world where normal rules may not apply
Old 01-28-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She also sorta flies at a certain point during the House of Blue Leaves fight...

She punches through the coffin and climbs up through the ground...

She kills numerous people, not even trying to be very conspicuous about it, and not a single police officer is seen during the course of the movie.

etc...

etc...

etc...

Movies be goofy, ain't they!

Not everything has to be realistic, ya know?
Old 01-28-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
People have suggested that isn't The Bride's sword beside her on the plane, that it is just an ornemental part of the seat. If you'll look in the wide shot, you can see that other seats have the swords there too.

That probabley was the intention, but I like the idea that in the Kill Bill world, there is still a samuri culture, and people are walking around carrying swords like gunslingers in the old West.

wide shot? i didnt know there was one.

but she's also seen exiting the airport with it. perhaps this is post baggage claim? makes you wonder, would you check a hattori hanzo sword? what if it gets lost? lol.

i think it was odd to see. that said, i'm pretty sure that any sort of puncturing or slashing wound in reality would not cause the body to rapidly expel every drop of blood contained therein.

i dont' care. kill bill rocks. mmm, kill bill music....
Old 01-28-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I was thinking about the scene at the very end of the movie when she was writing the Death List 5.

You're right, I forgot about the scene of her first arriving on the airplane. That defienetly has to be her sword that she is gripping.

I just mentioned the theory that the swords were merely decorative because it seemed plausible.

I like the idea people really are carrying swords on the plane, so that is what I see when I watch the movie. Now that you've reminded me of her with the sword on the plane in the earlier scene, it makes even more sense.
Old 01-28-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The motorcycles had the same sword holders as well.
Old 01-28-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read a quote from Tarantino sometime (I would almost swear I saw it here) where he was talking about that scene. He said that in the alternate reality world the movies took place in he wanted Japan to still have the samurai culture they were famous for. And in a culture like that, every 1st class seat on a plane would naturally have a holder for your sword... you would certainly never stow one in the overhead compartment I guess
Old 01-28-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kill Bill takes place in his fantasy movie land, similar to From Dusk Til Dawn (in fact, the sheriff is one in the same). Things like sword holders on planes and other somewhat ridiculous things exist. I mean, Pai Mei is a rather old martial artist master, something to the tune of hundreds of years old or something? Dont' question it...just go with it. It's not supposed to be realistic.
Old 01-28-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Think of it as a western in a sense where all the gun slingers carry a gun with no problem. apply that to japanese weapons.
Old 01-28-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i find for A LOT of movies, you need to just suspend common beliefs.. maybe that is part of the appeal of movies.. for 120 mins, you are thrown in a world where normal rules may not apply
Novel idea!
And here was I, trying to figure out the scientific possibility of hyper-space travel depicted in Star Wars.
Old 01-28-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
pre 9/11 I'm 90% sure you could carry a sword on a plane, especially one that was as much ornamental as weapon
I know for a fact you could take a fixed blade knife in your carry on as I did it

so it's not that far fetched of an idea
Old 01-28-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
wide shot? i didnt know there was one.
Yep, there was, after the House of the Blue Leaves sequence, as she's making her "death list." Notice that in addition to The Bride's sword, there is a sword in the foreground, as well as by the stewardess' arm, and there is an empty sword holder on the vacant seat next to The Bride:

"Kill Bill" is a revenge fantasy that doesn't adhere to reality. That's one of the most appealing aspects of the film.
Old 01-28-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
If you look closely in the airport scene when the Bride arrives in Tokyo, you will see other people carrying swords too. As been said, in the imaginary Kill Bill world, people in Japan still walk around carrying swords. That'd be cool