Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Operation: Mindcrime

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-28-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I saw Queensryche perform the entire Operation: Mindcrime Wednesday night, and it helped fill in some gaps in the story for me. But the one thing I still don't understand is why did Doctor X want Mary and the Priest dead in the first place?

The only thing I can think is that he was her pimp and he was pissed that she left him to become a nun. But then, at $25 bucks a fuck, she couldn't have been bringing in that much money.
Old 01-28-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're operating under the assumption that the story makes sense. You're wrong.
Old 01-28-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

from the lyrics, i can only assume that he (dr. x) wants them dead b/c they know enough to implicate him (and his cohorts) in the revolution. Mary took drugs from Dr. X to Nikki, and so there was a link there. As such, he wanted them dead.
As to the priest, one can only assume that it's b/c of his association w/ Mary.
Old 01-28-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love the album, but I think trying to dissect it will only show that maybe there isn't much there to dissect.
Old 01-28-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
It's kind of hard to come up with a coherent political message in there, other than the system sucks, everyone in a position of power is corrupt, and you can't change it.

Which isn't too far from the truth, I guess.

I always assumed that Dr. X wanted Mary dead because she was too close to Nikki, and could've pulled him away from his influence. Or it was some kind of final test.
Old 01-29-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I always assumed that Dr. X wanted Mary dead because she was too close to Nikki, and could've pulled him away from his influence. Or it was some kind of final test.
This is what I get from the album. It also says in the linear notes from the Remasterd CD:

"Eyes of a Stranger" begins with nikki regaining consciousness from a coma, remembering all the horrific crimes he committed, his meetings with X where he promises to join X's revolutionary movement. As he continues his roller-coaster memory ride, he sees himself and his crimes on a news bulletin and turns to Mary for comfort hoping whe will absolve his sins. Nikki and Mary have become more attached than the Doctor had planned, X orders Nikki to kill Mary. They both try to escape from X, but Nikki's drug addiction brings him back to the Doctor. Nikki pleads with X to stop the killing but X just laughs. Nikki returns to the church to see Sister Mary and finds her dead - hanging by her own rosary.
Old 01-29-05, 04:01 PM

As much as I've listened to this album I never did really try to figure out the story.
Old 01-29-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
^^ I didn't either, other than the whole revolution thing, until I picked up the remastered cd. The linear notes are great.
Old 01-30-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
^^ I didn't either, other than the whole revolution thing, until I picked up the remastered cd. The linear notes are great.
Question for you (or anyone who has the remaster CD), during the very beginning if I Don't Believe In Love, do you hear a static, crackly sound? mine does it and it bugs the hell out of me.

Also, in the concert last week, Mary puts a gun in her mouth and blows her brains out per Dr. X orders via phone, not hangs herself.
Old 01-31-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Question for you (or anyone who has the remaster CD), during the very beginning if I Don't Believe In Love, do you hear a static, crackly sound? mine does it and it bugs the hell out of me.

Also, in the concert last week, Mary puts a gun in her mouth and blows her brains out per Dr. X orders via phone, not hangs herself.
Anyone?