Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cat Stevens Perform Show for Tsunami Aid

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01/27/2005 10:19 AM, AP

The singer formerly known as Cat Stevens will headline a concert in Indonesia for victims of the Asian tsunami, said a statement posted on his Web site Thursday.

Yusuf Islam — who is barred from the United States because terror intelligence identifies him as a security threat — also plans to open an Indonesian branch of his charity, Small Kindness.

He will have top billing at the concert of local artists in Jakarta on Jan. 31 that will raise money for tsunami victims from Indonesia's Aceh province, according to a statement available on his Web site Thursday.

Islam has composed a new song, "Indian Ocean," in response to the disaster and recently recorded it with musicians including A.R. Rahman, the prolific Indian composer/producer, Magne Furuholmen of A-Ha fame, and Travis drummer Neil Primrose. It will be released in February to raise money for children orphaned by the earthquake.

"Like everyone else, I was so shaken by the enormity of this human tragedy, and the song just came without effort," Islam said in the statement. "It is my contribution towards helping to rebuild the broken spirits of the victims of the disaster."

The track includes the use of instruments, which Islam has avoided since embracing Islam in 1977, but the musician insisted, "It's not a return to Cat Stevens, I see it more as a natural response to express my concern as a Muslim and as an artist; I believe both can exist side by side particularly when the cause is right."

"After I embraced Islam many people told me to carry on composing and recording but at the time I was hesitant for fear that it might be for the wrong reasons. I felt unsure what the right course of action was.

"I guess it is only now after all these years that I've come to fully understand and appreciate what everyone has been asking of me. It's as if I've come full circle — however, I have gathered a lot of knowledge on the subject in the meantime."

Islam was removed from a London-to-Washington flight in September because of suspected links to terrorists — a claim he has strongly denied.

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news/14341764
Old 01-28-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
I hope Salman Rushdie doesn't show up at the concert.
Old 01-29-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would attend, but the proceeds will probably be funneled to Al Queda.
Old 01-29-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
"Cat Stevens is here! We're saved!!!!"

You know, that actually defines a pretty shitty month for these people. Their lives are swept away in a blink, and the first concert they get to try and take their minds off things is.....Cat Fucking Stevens.