Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Miami Vice - Season One'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Matthew Millheiser's DVD review of Miami Vice - Season One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14236 and...

i was wondering if they got all the rights to all of the songs to use, or if they used some substitute songs? i always heard rights were a big reason why the show hasn't been on dvd till now.
Old 01-27-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
They're the originals. Mostly. You'll hear all the Phil Collins and Glenn Frey you could shake a stick at.

However...

A few of the songs are covers by that generic NBC house band. There's a particular non-convincing cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" that's borderline grating... moreso than the original. However, this is exactly how it sounded on the original episode, so there you have it.
Old 01-27-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why tv sets, or any newly released DVD for that matter, have mpeg artifacts. In your review, you talked about mosquito noise and blocking artifacts, both of them purely an mpeg issue and not an issue with the source materials.

Did you, by chance, pop any of the discs into a PC to see if they were maxed out to the limit of a DVD-9? Based on my experience with other tv sets, chances are they just wasted a couple of gigabytes per disc that could have been used to eliminate those artifacts. Worst case, they could have spread the episodes out over an extra disc or two and only added a few bucks to the retail price.

I just don't get it, and it is really starting to piss me off that the studios don't seem to care a bit about the quality of the presentation of tv shows - 21 jumpstreet, forever knight, magnum pi, crime story, etc the list of crappy tv dvds is almost as long as the list of all tv dvds. The source materials may be in bad shape, but that does not mean they need to add to the problem by screwing up the video compression too.

If the studios want to have a monopoly on distribution it ought to come with stipulation that they make at least a reasonable effort to produce the best possible quality.
Old 01-27-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
I don't understand why tv sets, or any newly released DVD for that matter, have mpeg artifacts. In your review, you talked about mosquito noise and blocking artifacts, both of them purely an mpeg issue and not an issue with the source materials.

Did you, by chance, pop any of the discs into a PC to see if they were maxed out to the limit of a DVD-9? Based on my experience with other tv sets, chances are they just wasted a couple of gigabytes per disc that could have been used to eliminate those artifacts. Worst case, they could have spread the episodes out over an extra disc or two and only added a few bucks to the retail price.

I just don't get it, and it is really starting to piss me off that the studios don't seem to care a bit about the quality of the presentation of tv shows - 21 jumpstreet, forever knight, magnum pi, crime story, etc the list of crappy tv dvds is almost as long as the list of all tv dvds. The source materials may be in bad shape, but that does not mean they need to add to the problem by screwing up the video compression too.

If the studios want to have a monopoly on distribution it ought to come with stipulation that they make at least a reasonable effort to produce the best possible quality.
I hear you. Incidentally, I did check the discs out on my PC, to ensure that these were in fact DVD-18s and not -10s. We're talking 3.5 hours of video per disc, per side, and no extras, which could have been easily situated on a properly encoded dual-layered DVD without compression noise. The discs, for the most part, were maxed out to memory limits. However, the compression noise is still readily apparent. A shame, really, but there you go.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-29-05 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The problem is that if the source material has a lot of grain in it, the grain is extremely hard to compress. Even with a maxed-out bitrate you're going to have compression problems unless you cut back on the number of episodes per side. Less grainy source materials are less complex to compress, and tend to look better.
Old 06-22-05, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the quality of footage I agree totally with the review in that it is really quite poor. It is very grainy in some sections, and the colours are washed out. This is hugely disapointing.

Compared to Cheers this is very very poor. If you ever saw a clip of Cheers before it was digitally remastered for DVD (and some scenes on the dvd were not), that's what Miami Vice looks like.