Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL: Paul Giamatti ft. Ludacris (1/22/05)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if there was a thread on this (I didn't see one).

Anyways, Paul Giamatti of Sideways is hosting, with Ludacris ft. Sum 41 as the musical guest.

So far...

The opening sucked. I mean, I'm really tired of every opening being political in theme. Just tired. Give me something new.

The monologue bablew. No way around that.

The "Rice" hearing wasn't bad, 'though Rob Riggle did nothing more than sit there and be unfunny, as he usually is.

"Gaystrogen" is an old commercial. None too funny, but that's to be expected.
Old 01-22-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I was laughing my ass off at the Rice hearing!
Old 01-22-05, 10:54 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I laughed at the Rice skit. Pohler's Barbara Boxer was pretty funny
Old 01-22-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
god not this kid skit again
Old 01-22-05, 11:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread invisiblegt, lately starting the SNL threads has slipped my mind.

I'm TiVoing it right now and will probably watch it tomorrow.

Enjoy it.
Old 01-22-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure thing.

Much as I loathe the "Kaitlin" skit, I did enjoy the subtle nod to Sideways there at the end.

(And who do Ludacris/Sum41 think they are? Jay-Z and Linkin Park?)
Old 01-22-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To sum up Ludacris:

"Yeah Yeah! What What! (followed by undecipherable mouth sounds)"

Last edited by DGibFen; 01-22-05 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-22-05, 11:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Paris Hilton hosting next week
Old 01-22-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hammond as Arnold... Again? Really? I mean, c'mon.

And Dratch on the 1's? What, they couldn't actually have her go outside? That would have at least provided some realism in the otherwise horrible skit.
Old 01-22-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Hammond as Arnold... Again? Really? I mean, c'mon.

And Dratch on the 1's? What, they couldn't actually have her go outside? That would have at least provided some realism in the otherwise horrible skit.
Are you sure that was Hammond? I thought it was the new, litlle used guy.
Old 01-22-05, 11:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Hammond is always Arnold
Old 01-22-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
another shit "musical" guest
"I'm coming for that number one slut"
wow. the lack of brain power between those two is amazing
Old 01-22-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

he does some good animal impersonations
Old 01-22-05, 11:53 PM

What in the heck is this? Fred Armison as a huge cat?
Old 01-22-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell is with the writers on this show and retarded large people in animal/bug costumes? There were the moronic bears a couple times, the idiotic roaches two shows ago and now this idiot cat. Every one of these skits have stunk horribly, yet they keep doing it. The story of their Saturday Night Lives I guess. (Bad pun, sorry, watching this episode brought it out of me.)
Old 01-22-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
And Dratch on the 1's? What, they couldn't actually have her go outside?
No, because it hasn't been snowing in the NYC area for hours now. I went out to shovel from 10:45-11:15 and it was actually quite comfortable outside. Tho, they say the real blizzard hasn't hit yet..........
Old 01-23-05, 12:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

They had him in the bird costume when Liam Neeson hosted too, but that was actually funny.

It's a shame Giamatti didn't have very good material to work with but I thought we was a good host.

Next week could reach a level of sucking never seen before by even this group.
Old 01-23-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX
Hammond is always Arnold
That didn't look like Hammond this time to me, nor did the impression sound like Hammonds.
Old 01-23-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Armison gets the manorisms down perfectly though
his parrot was probably best
Old 01-23-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by waporvare
That didn't look like Hammond this time to me, nor did the impression sound like Hammonds.
I only flipped thru it, but it sure looked/sounded like Hammonds to me, which is kinda why I just flipped thru it.......
Old 01-23-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On the fence with this one. I guess I’ll give it a on the strength of Paul Giamatti as host. He did a very good job, and could probably do sketch comedy full time if he wanted. Next host on February 5th is Paris Hilton. That’s going to bite it hard. That talentless twat is what they should be making fun of, not having as host. Bah!

Opening
Missed this. I fell asleep.

Monologue
Giamatti does a riff about going to the Golden Globes. Not really laugh out loud funny, but enjoyable.

Rice confirmation
Barbara Boxer with her graphs and props giving Rice a hard time, while Kerry thinks out loud about the inauguration he would’ve thrown. Not very funny.

Gaystrogen ad
Seen this from last season. For the homosexual who’s feeling less gay.

Limo
Giamatti as himself in a limo leaving the Golden Globes. The limo driver mistakes him for Rob Schneider, and when corrected, has no idea who he is. Giamatti was great here, doing a slow burn as the driver goes on and on about Jamie Foxx, who beat Giamatti for the GG.

Kaitlyn
Amy Poehler does her hyperactive child, Kaitlyn, and Sanz as her stepfather. They’re in a music store with Giamatti as a musician relative. I’ve liked this character since they first did it, although I wouldn’t last 12 seconds with an actual child like this. Go figure.

Weekend Update
Fey & Poehler are a little too giggly for my taste. Best joke was about Spongebob Squarepants being called gay while nothing is said about “that carpet-muncher Dora the Explorer”. Hammond makes his one appearance tonight doing his terrible impression of Gov. Ah-nold.

Lundford Twins Feel Good Variety Show
Cheesy 70s country music variety show. Nothing good here.

Spy Glass
British ET-type news show with Myers and Poehler as hosts. Some good puns as usual, the best one being about Prince Harry and his Nazi costume. Giamatti appears as correspondent, veddy pip pip and cheerio type accent.

Franklin the cat
Funniest bit of the night. Giamatti goes home with Dratch and she introduces him to her big cat, Armisen. Just like Armisen as a pet parrot during the Liam Neeson episode, the cat does all the required stuff; scratching, hissing, swatting, getting medicine rectally, and throwing litter box sand all over the place. I can’t help it, I love to see Armisen do this bit.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 01-23-05 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-23-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I was drifting in and out throughout this entire episode. Though, during the parts that I was awake for, it looked like Paul Giamatti's cue card reading was second only to Jennifer Garner's.

And, was I having a nightmare or did it say that Paris Hilton was hosting the next one? Please tell me i'm not going to have to suffer watching her just to see Keane perform...
Old 01-23-05, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, Amy Poehler was in every skit!

Nothing great about this week but better than last week which was a real snorefest. I agree about too much political openers for the last several months. It grows old. And then another one with Condoleeza even if it was sortof funny.

Armisen is very talented with impersonations. Another good job mimicking an animal. This time...a cat.
Old 01-23-05, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only sketch I found enjoyable was the skit where the taxi driver is mistaking the host for Rob Schneider and some other people. I can't remember the last time I actually laughed out loud to a SNL sketch. Funniest thing I can remember in recent memory was the "Trump-a-Claus" sketch with Hammond, "Fa- La.La.La [actually Mr. Trump it's fa-la-la-la..la-la-la-la, you know like the Christmas Carol]"
Old 01-23-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
They had him in the bird costume when Liam Neeson hosted too, but that was actually funny.

It's a shame Giamatti didn't have very good material to work with but I thought we was a good host.

Next week could reach a level of sucking never seen before by even this group.
I actually think next week is a rerun and that Paris will "debut" in Feb so we get a repreive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.