Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Questions about Oddworld Stranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Oddworld Stranger

I guess since this isn't the most unique Oddworld game it isn't getting much attention around here. I for one am really looking forward to it. I love the other Oddworld games and while this is a real departure from the other games I also love FPS games....so I'll love it no matter what.

I've been reading early reviews and previews about the game and I was curious about something. I assumed the game was mainly shooting and collecting bounties. I was bummed that is was so shallow but most FPS game are so I let it go. The early reviews seem to state that the game changes gears a few hours in and it's a huge twist.

Borrowed from IGN.com:
Within a few hours of play you'll leave the Old West theme and discover all new areas, locales that resemble the lush, blue-green environments from previous games. And once you do reach these areas, you'll also come upon an amazing secret that changes the course of the story and the game for good.

They mention tha story changes but I'm wondering if the gameplay is altered as well. Is there a better reason why they included a third person view? I'm glad the game isn't shallow but I'm very curious as to what kind of changes I'm in for.
Old 01-21-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.....I'm stunned by the lack of comments or general talk about the game. I've starting to think I should or preordered something else. Time will tell I guess.
Old 01-21-05, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm somewhat interested in the game too. I've always enjoyed the Oddworld games. It's not a must buy for me, but I may pick it up after I've seen a few reviews.
Old 01-21-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow.....I'm stunned by the lack of comments or general talk about the game. .

I am too. I started a thread a month or two ago when I found out the game had been moved up to a January release date, and I don't think a single person responded. Either way, I'm still really looking forward to this one. I know it doesn't follow the same format as the last one, but I imagine it will have some of the same quirks. I've watched some of the gameplay videos on Gamespot, and it looks good to me.
Old 01-21-05, 08:15 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It didn't get much hype and a lot of peope are likelystill playing the big fall releases since so many came out at the same time (Halo 2, GTA, MP2, etc), plus recent releases like RE4 and the GBA Zelda.

But the Oddworld games have never been huge hits like those games, and only the big time games tend to get much discussion around here, for whatever reason.
Old 01-27-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife was kind enough to pick my copy up last night and I played it for about 4 hours or so.

I really like it so far but it's very tough to catch the boss baddies alive. I'm not sure if you have to hit each one with the little pellet like creature to wear them down but not kill them...or does each guy have a weakness to a certain kind of live ammo.

Catching Live ammo is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. You can fill up your ammo supply quicker than I expected and I'm happy about that.

The scenery is nice but I actually think the last Oddworld game for the XBOX looked a bit better. The environment are very detailed as is Stranger. The minor characters look a little generic.

I'm still curious as to the story and the direction it takes. You are suppose to collect money in the game but the amount you need sure seems unobtainable at this point. There are a number of items and things you can collect for cash so it isn't earned just by bounties.

I hope those 2 or 3 other people here who check this out enjoy it. It was worth 49.99 to me but I get the feeling MANY others will be waiting for a big price drop on this one.
Old 01-27-05, 12:19 PM
vgc

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
My wife was kind enough to pick my copy up last night and I played it for about 4 hours or so.

I really like it so far but it's very tough to catch the boss baddies alive. I'm not sure if you have to hit each one with the little pellet like creature to wear them down but not kill them...or does each guy have a weakness to a certain kind of live ammo.

Catching Live ammo is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. You can fill up your ammo supply quicker than I expected and I'm happy about that.

The scenery is nice but I actually think the last Oddworld game for the XBOX looked a bit better. The environment are very detailed as is Stranger. The minor characters look a little generic.

I'm still curious as to the story and the direction it takes. You are suppose to collect money in the game but the amount you need sure seems unobtainable at this point. There are a number of items and things you can collect for cash so it isn't earned just by bounties.

I hope those 2 or 3 other people here who check this out enjoy it. It was worth 49.99 to me but I get the feeling MANY others will be waiting for a big price drop on this one.
I am a huge fan of Oddworld, but so far I am not real impressed. I am only at the first Boss, so I haven't gone very far. However, the humor from the other games seems to be missing so far. I also wish that they hadn't reduced the Gamespeak to one button. I enjoyed saying different phrases to characters and then having them respond. Imagine if Stranger could hurl a few insults at his bounty bosses. That would be kinda fun. I enjoyed the previous Oddworld's because of great characters like the Sligs, Slogs, Scrabs, and Paramites. It was also fun to be able to take over these characters. I am hoping this game will improve, because fans have been waiting so long for this game. I hope Oddworld Inhabitants goes back to the Abe storyline complete with all its characters for the next game. There are still a lot of stories left with that character.
Old 01-28-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of the boss battles in this game are enough to make you want to snap the disc in half. Not all of them are super hard but the ones that are making me crazy. It took me over an hour to beat one guy tonight. There was so much going on in this battle that I could only peek out to hit the guy about 2 times a minute and he was so far away about half my shots missed him totally.

There are upgrades you can buy at the store to help you carry more ammo, build stamina quicker or reload fast....but the problem is that the game seems to unlock stuff at a slow pace. I have cash to buy stuff but it just seems like nothing is available to buy.

The game certainly remind me on Metal Arms and if I recall there was a good sized thread about that under appreciated game some time ago. That game was a great deal of trial and error when it came to maintaining you ammo supply. The boss arenas have live ammo scattered around them but in the heat of things I don't want to be shooting bugs or ramming crates for more ammo.
Old 02-08-05, 10:59 AM
vgc

Just Finished Oddworld Stranger

I finished Oddworld Stranger last night. As a big Oddworld fan I am disappointed. As an FPS is was a good game, and a lot of cool Live Ammo. I do hope they go back to the original Oddworld type of game. This game just doesn't fit very well with the rest of the Oddworld series. This is even more disappointing because we had to wait 3 years for this one. It would have been fun if you could unlock Abe as a playable character and then play through the game as Abe. I hope they bring back the Sligs and Abe for the next game in the series. Are other Oddworld fans enjoying this game?
Old 02-08-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was a HUGE oddworld fan on PS1 and played both the games multiple times on those consoles. Oddworld Inhabitants lost me as a player when they decided not to release games for the PS2, although from the looks of things I haven't missed much. What ever happened to Vicker's Lab (I think that was the name)?
Old 02-08-05, 12:19 PM
vgc

Originally Posted by The Franchise
I was a HUGE oddworld fan on PS1 and played both the games multiple times on those consoles. Oddworld Inhabitants lost me as a player when they decided not to release games for the PS2, although from the looks of things I haven't missed much. What ever happened to Vicker's Lab (I think that was the name)?
The Vykers lab was actually in the Xbox Munches Oddyssey I believe. The Vykers modified Munch in that game and then their lab was destroyed with them in it. I don't remember them from the PS1 games. But that has been a while back.
Old 02-08-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I beat in within a few days of getting it. I liked it as a FPS shooter but as an Oddworld game it was very out of place.

I really enjoyed the weapons even if some of them made no sense. I get that the skunk makes the bad guys vomit but why does the powered up skunk, where fired at the ground, pull all the enemies to that spot like a vacuum? The weapons were good as long as you could hold a bunch and not have to collect some critters at every turn. Not being able to hold much ammo at times really hurt the game.

I HATE timed sections in games and this game had a very rough timed area. I almost gave up on the game at that point.

Most boss battles are very easy with the exception of the one guy that pissed me off earlier. They are very long and drawn out battles and you spend most of the hiding and waiting for your stamina bar to refill.

There aren't enough upgrades in the middle of the game and it kind of made the game drag a bit.

I gotta say the story was a huge joke and easily the worst part of the game.
Spoiler:
Who the hell wouldn't know the main guy is a steed? I believe that it was mentioned in interviews about the game back when it was still in development and if you watched any clip of the game then you could easily see what the Stranger was.
The ending was good but I don't think it was enough to make up for the lame "twist".
Old 02-08-05, 09:52 PM
vgc

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I beat in within a few days of getting it. I liked it as a FPS shooter but as an Oddworld game it was very out of place.

I really enjoyed the weapons even if some of them made no sense. I get that the skunk makes the bad guys vomit but why does the powered up skunk, where fired at the ground, pull all the enemies to that spot like a vacuum? The weapons were good as long as you could hold a bunch and not have to collect some critters at every turn. Not being able to hold much ammo at times really hurt the game.

I HATE timed sections in games and this game had a very rough timed area. I almost gave up on the game at that point.

Most boss battles are very easy with the exception of the one guy that pissed me off earlier. They are very long and drawn out battles and you spend most of the hiding and waiting for your stamina bar to refill.

There aren't enough upgrades in the middle of the game and it kind of made the game drag a bit.

I gotta say the story was a huge joke and easily the worst part of the game.
Spoiler:
Who the hell wouldn't know the main guy is a steed? I believe that it was mentioned in interviews about the game back when it was still in development and if you watched any clip of the game then you could easily see what the Stranger was.
The ending was good but I don't think it was enough to make up for the lame "twist".
I hated the timed section also. I saved my game at almost every successful step. This game just didn't fit in with the typical Oddworld series. I am glad I am not the only one who is an Oddworld fan, but didn't necessarily like the game. It's like Oddworld Inhabitants wanted to prove they could make a different type of game, but when something works I say stick with it. Hopefully they will begin working on the Hand of Odd that I heard rumored before this game. Bring back the sligs and scrabs!! I also knew the Stranger's big secret. I kept hoping they might try having Abe or Munch make a cameo. They easily could have had Sligs in the second half of the game instead of the lame soldiers. Those soldiers had no personality. They were very generic. Hopefully Oddworld Inhabitants will get back to basics. Maybe EA will agree to publish their next game and encourage them to return to their roots. Bring back the Gamespeak. I always thought this was something that made the Oddworld games unique. Instead they dumbed down this feature so that it was basically never used or needed.