Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Direct TV off by 2 minutes?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-18-05, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone with Direct TV noticed that almost all of the networks are off by 2 minutes? It seems that whenever a new show is starting, it's starting at :28 or :58, which is annoying when I'm watching a show on tivo since I'm missing the beginning....
Old 01-18-05, 07:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Do you have a DirectTV Tivo, or a standard unit?
Old 01-18-05, 09:14 AM

Direct Tivo....
Old 01-18-05, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

It isn't a directv thing, it is what some of the networks are doing now. I'm not sure if it's to stop people from using dvrs to skip commercials, or if they think it will keep them on the same channel after the show is over. So then you miss the start of something else and might not want to switch to a show in progress.

I think its a bad idea, and it does take some creative tivoing (if thats a word..) to get everything recorded properly sometimes. Nbc started it last year, and I noticed Abc did it with Alias last week.
Old 01-19-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
ABC has been starting shows late, not early. Alias started at 9:01, much like Desperate Housewives and Boston Legal did earlier this season. I think they do it so if you're turning in for a show, you get to see next week's preview for the show you didn't watch, hoping you'll turn in next week to both shows.
Old 01-19-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think kramdenfan is talking about the network scheduling, I think he is referring to DirecTivo actually starting the recording late, and missing the beginning.

Mine started doing this and it is driving me crazy. Sometimes they don't start recording until 2 minutes after the hour and I miss the beginning. The green bar even has a blank spot at the front, and the recording says "partial record" and only records 58 mintes of an hour-long show. These are for shows that start on the hour, even the Daily Show.

It is really frustrating. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix it? It happens randomly, but enough to peeve me. It usually happens on both tuners. For instance, at 8pm, both American Idol and Biggest Loser started late. Usually the show that was recording beforehand is extended so the 7:30 show is 32 minutes and bleeds over the recording time of the 8pm show.

I have two other DirecTivos that do not do this, but those are the ones I use less and record fewer things.
Old 01-19-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am having that same problem..... its weird.... i dont have the tivo though
Old 01-19-05, 10:19 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
My Comcast DVR does the same thing. I've started setting it to start each recording 4 mintes early so that I don't miss anything.
Old 01-19-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's just DTV's secret way of pissing off their tivo customers in order to get them to move over to their own tivo like service when its released.
Old 01-20-05, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't think kramdenfan is talking about the network scheduling, I think he is referring to DirecTivo actually starting the recording late, and missing the beginning.

Mine started doing this and it is driving me crazy. Sometimes they don't start recording until 2 minutes after the hour and I miss the beginning. The green bar even has a blank spot at the front, and the recording says "partial record" and only records 58 mintes of an hour-long show. These are for shows that start on the hour, even the Daily Show.

It is really frustrating. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix it? It happens randomly, but enough to peeve me. It usually happens on both tuners. For instance, at 8pm, both American Idol and Biggest Loser started late. Usually the show that was recording beforehand is extended so the 7:30 show is 32 minutes and bleeds over the recording time of the 8pm show.

I have two other DirecTivos that do not do this, but those are the ones I use less and record fewer things.
Thanks for the all the posts and suggestions everyone. Actually, Jadzia, I was talking about the network scheduling. I have seen in the past the issue you are talking about, but in this case, tivo is recording right on time. However, the show has already been on for 2 minutes and we've missed the beginning.