Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
FOX Admits It Needs To Lay Off The Reality Crap

Fox Says It Needs to Lay Off on Reality

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES - The sagging Fox network's chief executive admitted Monday it had leaned too heavily on reality programming this TV season, including the disastrous "Who's Your Daddy?"

Fox has been caught on the wrong side of audience taste in the past few months. Scripted series like ABC's Golden Globe-winning "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" are hot, while viewers seem to have little patience for new reality series.

There were others, but Fox's problems were symbolized by "Who's Your Daddy?," the Jan. 3 show where an adopted daughter picked her birth father out of eight strangers and won a $100,000 prize.

Adoption advocates were appalled; the public didn't seem to care. Only 6.3 million people watched, according to Nielsen Media Research. Five other "Who's Your Daddy" episodes already filmed will be shelved, Fox entertainment president Gail Berman said Monday.

At its best, Fox is a mix of scripted and unscripted, high-brow and low-brow. "The Simpsons" can comfortably co-exist with "COPS," she said.

"In the case of this fall we drifted to too much on the unscripted side," Berman said. "But I think the audience expects loud things from Fox. Sometimes they work ... and sometimes they don't."

Fox is averaging 5.9 million viewers in prime-time this season, down from 6.5 million at this point last year, Nielsen said. More importantly for the youth-obsessed Fox, it is solidly in fourth place among viewers aged 18-to-49. It finished last season second behind NBC in this demographic.

So worried is Fox about audience trends that Berman was lowering expectations for its most popular show, "American Idol," which debuts this week. She said she expected ratings to decline in its fourth season.

Fox loudly proclaimed an all-season strategy last year, promising to debut new series all year round, including summer. Viewers rejected that, too, but Berman isn't giving up.

"There's no question that the audience, in our mind, is ready, willing and able to accept new programming in the summer," she said.

Fox will tweak the strategy this year, debuting some new shows in May instead of June, she said.

One new series will be the animated "American Dad," which is given a sneak peek after the Super Bowl. It's from "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, who is also making new episodes of that cartoon after the cancelled series became an unexpected hit on DVD. Both new shows launch May 1.

Fox also announced that "That '70s Show" has been renewed for an eighth season, even though series stars Topher Grace (news) and Ashton Kutcher aren't returning. Both stars will make occasional guest appearances, Berman said.

So I have an idea for a new reality show: "Who Wants To Be A Fox Network Chief Executive?" Honestly, I think FOX execs are constantly stoned because they always seem to have a delayed reaction to the bloody obvious.
Old 01-17-05, 04:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah too much reality TV right now, I'm always rolling my eyes when a new one gets released. Don't think the 70 show will last too much longer.
Old 01-17-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
So Grace will appear on That 70s Show a couple of times next season?
Old 01-17-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Well knowing is half the battle, now all they have to do is bring on shows with good writing and acting.
Old 01-18-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quality of the writing in That 70's Show is declining. Sad but true.
Old 01-18-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About damn time FOX.

Now they need to learn to not cancel GOOD shows.
Old 01-18-05, 02:24 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Hello! Family Guy May 1st?!?! YES!
Old 01-18-05, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The beginning of the end for reality show programming. Thank goodness and good riddance.
Old 01-18-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by djones6746
The beginning of the end for reality show programming. Thank goodness and good riddance.
Yeah, because it's just sooo hard not to watch it.
Old 01-18-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was about Fox News when I read the title.
Old 01-18-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Quality of the writing in That 70's Show is declining. Sad but true.
Yeah true. I'm sort of surprised it's been renewed. Although I guess Fox really has no choice, it's not like they have lots of quality stuff to fall back on.
But the 70's Show has run it's course and is fairly played at this point.

One can only hope that success of shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives will help bring about the demise of most awful 'reality' type shows.
Old 01-18-05, 11:59 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
We admitted we were powerless over reality television - that our programs had become unmanageable...

... the first step toward change is admitting that you have a problem.

(Now if I could just quit watching Celebrity Fit Club on VH1... I'd be okay.)
Old 01-18-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think it's reality shows that's bad for Fox. The reason Fox is doing poorly with reality shows is that they are making BAD reality shows. I think it's pretty obvious how shows like 'Who's Your Daddy' will do poorly in the rating even before they aired it. So why even bother making BAD reality shows like those?
Old 01-18-05, 12:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by djones6746
Agreed.
Old 01-18-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was only a matter of time (just like the Primetime game show craze a few years back) before people got tired of this crap. What scares me is that so many people are still into it. I barely have enough time to watch good scripted shows.

How about this for a new Reality program.TV executives who kill TV Executives?
Old 01-18-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everybody that I know doesn't watch the reality shows. I don't even watch much TV because of the "reality" of the shows. The "Entertainment" industry doesn't have any creativity in writing anymore...

Thankfully, The Family Guy will be back on....
Old 01-18-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
Yeah, because it's just sooo hard not to watch it.

The crap takes up the spot of a potentially fantastic TV show, that's the reason so many are happy about this I do believe. The more reality shows that are started up and are around, the more likely it is that shows like Arrested Development and Family Guy will be canceled.

It's one thing just to let it be and to just not watch it, but that doesn't change the fact that the trash is taking up air space of shows that could be so much better, and more worthy of being there.

It's great if people actually like the stuff, and I know that there are a ton of those people, but personally I've never been caught up in the reality TV craze. I've hated it with a passion since The Real World. I can't even get myself to fall into it all.
Old 01-19-05, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
The crap takes up the spot of a potentially fantastic TV show, that's the reason so many are happy about this I do believe. The more reality shows that are started up and are around, the more likely it is that shows like Arrested Development and Family Guy will be canceled.

It's one thing just to let it be and to just not watch it, but that doesn't change the fact that the trash is taking up air space of shows that could be so much better, and more worthy of being there.

It's great if people actually like the stuff, and I know that there are a ton of those people, but personally I've never been caught up in the reality TV craze. I've hated it with a passion since The Real World. I can't even get myself to fall into it all.
I don't buy that. There's plenty of crappy scripted shows on TV, and people have been complaining about quality shows being cancelled since Star Trek.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Reality TV, but I don't blame it for good shows being cancelled. They might make it a little tougher, since reality shows are cheaper to produce, and thus can garner lower ratings and survive, but I don't think it keeps great shows from being made.

I think it takes the place of other crap. Good shows usually make it on the air, even if they don't last (Damn Wonderfalls)
Old 01-19-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Fox's reality shows were hits thats all the station would do, not like theyre taking a high road or something.
Old 01-19-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by UAIOE
About damn time FOX.

Now they need to learn to not cancel GOOD shows.
Exactly...

WonderFalls
Tru Calling
Firefly
John Doe
Greg the Bunny
Undeclared
Cracking Up
Andy Ricther Controls the Universe

They'd be wise to own up to their itchy cancellation instincts and revive any of these shows a la Family Guy IMO. They'd almost have a full schedule of decent shows!
Old 01-19-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing
I don't buy that.
How many shows do you think we could all think of that were canceled in part because they needed to make room for some sort of "reality" TV b.s.? Not just on FOX, but on all channels.

There is nothing to buy here. These "reality" shows got a huge following all of a sudden, those in charge decided to milk it dry over the years, and quite a few great shows suffered because of that.
Old 01-19-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
These "reality" shows got a huge following all of a sudden, those in charge decided to milk it dry over the years, and quite a few great shows suffered because of that.
Well - as TheKing mentions, COST is a major factor here. Making a reality show costs a fraction of producing a series (considering writers, actors, production crews & staff). This was plainly stated at the start of the "craze". FOX probably could have filled their 8-10p schedule for an entire season with reality shows like The Swan, American Idol and Joe Millionaire and still have spent less than it costs to produce 24, Firelfly, Malcolm in the Middle and The Simpsons combined.

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-19-05 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-19-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no mo reality crap
Old 01-19-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Exactly...

WonderFalls
Tru Calling
Firefly
John Doe
Greg the Bunny
Undeclared
Cracking Up
Andy Ricther Controls the Universe

They'd be wise to own up to their itchy cancellation instincts and revive any of these shows a la Family Guy IMO. They'd almost have a full schedule of decent shows!

You forgot

Keen Eddie
The Tick - Live
Old 01-19-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well - as TheKing mentions, COST is a major factor here. Making a reality show costs a fraction of producing a series (considering
Of course cost is a major factor, but that still doesn't change the fact that "reality" shows have forced other fantastic shows to go away and to die, or have stopped great shows from even airing. The low cost doesn't make up for the "reality" shows being total crap either, but again that is just my opinion (that they are crap).

Besides, perhaps if more chances were taken on better programs, more money could be made long term. The "reality" deal is a fine money-maker right now, but it's not going to last. All of these years that have been spent on milking a fad dry could have been used to help cement other shows, which would have a better chance for long term success.

I'm just glad it looks like it could be the end to "reality" TV, I really am.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.