Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the furthest you've traveled to see a band?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's consider that you had the intention of going to the show before you made you trip (but before you were on the trip).

My furthest show from home would have to be seeing the Smashing Pumpkins in Munich, Germany in 2000. They played at a 1972 Olympic Basketball venue. The weirdest thing was that before the show, the entire floor was sitting down (on the floor).
Old 01-16-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I flew to Atlantic City from Indiana to see Crosby, Stills & Nash perfrom three shows at Caesar's over a Valentine's Day weekend.

It didn't hurt that we got to gamble, hook up with some friends and hang out with Crosby though.
Old 01-16-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago to NYC to see Pearl Jam in 96...first tour since their confrontation with ticketmaster.
Old 01-17-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i flew from Pittsburgh to see Nick Cave solo in New Orleans. i drove from Pittsburgh to Chicago (approx 9 hours) to see Twilight Singers play back to back shows, then i stopped in Detroit on my way back home to see them again, then a day later i drove back to Cleveland to see them play, and then a few days later i drove down to DC for one more.
Old 01-17-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Not to far at all. From LA to UC Santa Barbara to see Motley Crue with SAXON opening up back in the mid 80's. We were young so my friend's sister's boyfriend drove us. I also drove to San Diego to see RUSH a few years back.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-17-05 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-17-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's the companion thread on travelling to see band perform live.

Me, it's still Atlanta to Boston to see the Corrs.
Old 01-17-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I've gone from Houston to Austin and San Antonio a few times but wouldn't consider going much further than that. Maybe Dallas.
Old 01-17-05, 11:10 AM

As a former Deadhead and more recently an avid follower of Phish, I've put on quite a few miles following each band. I've seen shows in places like NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Charlotte, Raliegh, New Jersey, Vermont, Atlanta, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. I guess its part of the lifestyle and culture that seems to go with those bands. I've also done some rediculous trips to fit touring in with a "normal" work schedule such as going home sick from work at noon, driving 7 hours to a show, and then driving home immediately after the show to be at work the next morning.

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-17-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Chicago to NYC to see Pearl Jam in 96...first tour since their confrontation with ticketmaster.
Did you miss the summer 1995 non-Ticketmaster show in Soldier Field????!!?????
Old 01-17-05, 01:02 PM

I'm from the Netherlands, and bear in mind I'm 20 years old.
I've traveled to England a couple of times to go to the Glastonbury and Reading festivals.
I traveled to London to see Metallica do a tv-performance of about 6 or 7 songs.
I traveled to London to see Oasis at Finsbury park.
I traveled to Keulen Germany to see Velvet Revolver play a club show.
I traveled to Dusseldorf to see Oasis play an arena show (they won't come near the Netherlands these days).
Old 01-17-05, 04:12 PM

travelled from Philly to San Fran to see Pearl Jam at Bridge Benefit in 03, then took a bus to Santa Barbara and see their benefit show there
Old 01-17-05, 04:26 PM

I traveled from the south side of Champaign, IL to the north side of Champaign, IL to see Yo La Tengo a few years ago. That took about 7 or 8 minutes. Now I live in Chicago, and my travel times are about the same.
Old 01-17-05, 07:36 PM

Well, I drove from west Michigan to Toronto to see SarsStock (Rolling Stones and Friends I think was the real billing) and I flew to Dallas to see the Crossroads Festival (for Eric Clapton). Major financial trips considering i'm in college and only have a part time job.
Old 01-17-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've traveled from NY to California twice, and to Vegas once (among other places in the US) to see Cheap Trick.
Old 01-17-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me see what I posted in Patman's thread about this called:

How far would you travel to see a band live in person?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...st+travel+band

Oh yeah, while I'm busting your balls it's farthest, not furthest. Otherwise the above thread would have been:

How fur would you travel to see a band live in person?

Odd. I didn't post in that thread. Maybe there was a thread before these two?

Thanks ChiTownAbs for giving a chance to have my voice heard!
Old 01-17-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's see now. Mrs. Pusser and I were friends of the Chicago band, Material Issue and traveled 500 miles to see them. But we were going to be in the area anyway.

However we found another band we liked called the Inspiral Carpets was going to be there three weeks later so we came back since we knew they'd never hit our area.

Went 150 miles to see Space but the lead singer got sick so they didn't play. Mrs. Pusser got food poisoning that night at a Mexican restaurant so the trip was really a bust.

Flew to LA for the Poptopia music fest although I was also there for work.

Another time I was in LA for work and saw Material Issue play and spent some time with them and Liz Phair in the studio while they were recording a Banana Splits song for a cartoon tribute cd.

I was going to visit Holland to see Gruppo Sportivo but the show was cancelled.

Another time they were supposed to be South by Southwest in Austin but they cancelled.

We were also supposed to visit the UK to see Material Issue open for the Stranglers (fave band) but the management could never get tour info more than a week in advance.

Two years ago a friend and I drove 500 miles to see the Rezillos play in NY and NJ over a weekend. Great fun!

I also travelled 500 miles to see Brian Wilson play but we were going to be in the area anyway. Then I drove 140 miles to see him again.

Probably most of you have not heard of these bands. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-17-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mike1978
I traveled from the south side of Champaign, IL to the north side of Champaign, IL to see Yo La Tengo a few years ago. That took about 7 or 8 minutes. Now I live in Chicago, and my travel times are about the same.
I traveled over 100 miles to see Jane's Addiction play Gatsby's in Champaign. Their first album had been out one week and I met up with Mr. Salty there. (are you reading this KS?)

I was going to be in the area anyway though.

Oh yeah, I went 90 miles to see AC/DC in high school.

Different trips of 60 miles to see Elton John, ZZ Top, Van Halen, triple bill-Belinda Carlisle, Fabulous Thunderbirds and Robert Palmer.

Around 300 miles to see Madonna as per my girlfriend's request.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 01-17-05 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I traveled over 100 miles to see Jane's Addiction play Gatsby's in Champaign. Their first album had been out one week and I met up with Mr. Salty there. (are you reading this KS?)
Yes, I am!

But it wasn't Gatsby's, which was in Carbondale. The bar in Champaign was Mabel's. I was unpacking some boxes the other day and came across some pictures I shot of Jane's Addiction on that trip. If I find the power supply for my scanner I'll post a couple.

I traveled to Mabel's often (about 200 miles) for good bands, including Jane's Addiction (although that trip actually was for your wedding --- Jane's was a bonus), Living Colour, Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper, Dread Zeppelin, Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows and a few others.

I drove a similar distance to Eastern Illinois University in Charleston to see The Tubes, with The Romantics as the opening act. That was a great show.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-17-05 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DOH! When I was writing Gatsby's I was thinking it wasn't the right name. They are kinda similar.

I remember you liking Mojo-haven't heard him in awhile.

I saw the Tubes about six months ago. Pretty good show. That was a 12 mile drive. I love the Romantics but haven't seen any of their recent local appearances.

At Gatsby's I saw the Waitresses and the Jump in the Saddle Band-"Curly Shuffle". Plus a few others I'm forgetting.
Old 01-18-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually I wait for the bands to come to me... Furthest was probably about 100 miles to see Dido. I can guarantee that'll change come this summer. If Garbage goes on tour after May, I'll be up and down the east coast going to shows. Might very well be their last tour... Seen them about five times over the last 6 years, going to at least double that by the end of the year.
Old 01-18-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coladar
Usually I wait for the bands to come to me... Furthest was probably about 100 miles to see Dido.

It's farthest! Didn't you read my informative post?

How far, not how fur?

Old 01-18-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Around 300 miles to see Madonna as per my girlfriend's request.
Has your wife met her yet?
Old 01-18-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In Oct I flew from Indiana to Seattle to see Tom Waits, it was his only show in the US.

I have driven from southern Indiana to Minneapolis MN to see Foo Fighters.
Old 01-18-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Drove to minneapolis and back to see converge/cave in/the blinding light a few months ago. I think its a 7 hour drive? We drove home that night too.
Old 01-18-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I travel a good bit for music. The farthest was probably just last year...from Las Vegas to Coventry, Vermont for Phish's final shows. However, like Hydrogen, I've travelled all over (primarily for Phish).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.