Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Special 2-Disc Collector's Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Special 2-Disc Collector's Edition'

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bovberg's DVD review of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Special 2-Disc Collector's Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13878 and I couldn't agree more with his comment on a SE release so soon after initial release. It's been happening more and more. "Pirates of the Carribean" re-released the original with a "lost" 3rd disc only months after. And also ,why aren't Spec. Features done anamorphically? From what I understand, it cost no more to remaster or encode or reproduce.
Old 01-12-05, 11:44 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course I wish reviewers didn't assume we've already made a purchase. The second disc sounds like an excellent add-on for those of us picking up ESOTSM for the first time.
Old 01-12-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
In the review, I mostly condemn Universal for releasing a "special edition" of dubious content so soon after a perfectly fine, fairly loaded disc. I'm not assuming you already own the first. I end with this: "If you already have the first DVD of Eternal Sunshine, by all means send a message to Universal by sticking with that one."
Old 01-12-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrE
Of course I wish reviewers didn't assume we've already made a purchase. The second disc sounds like an excellent add-on for those of us picking up ESOTSM for the first time.

The second disc sounds like no reason for a 'double dip.'
I wish more reviewers would do this.
Old 01-19-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was about to buy this when the 2 disk set came out. But when I saw the packaging and not much in extras, I purchased the single disk. I'll rent the other
Old 01-20-05, 11:30 PM

For me, this is the worst kind of exploitation by the studios. They know this is the kind of cult film that appeals especially, if not almost exclusively, to cinephiles, ultra-enthusiasts, or DVD fetishists that *need* to have the most extensive version of all DVDs at any time.

And it worked. On the exchange forum here, you see all kinds of requests for the newest CE edition of ESOTSM. The original release- which is fantastic IMO (Gondry/Kaufman commentary, are you kidding?)- is like a pariah around here now.

If they're able to add a couple nominal features, and generate actual interest from it, consumers are at the complete mercy of the studios. We're going to start seeing deliberate holding back of features for future releases and such (not that we haven't already, but it's going to become rampant) and then we're virtually hostages, always having to guess whether our purchases- which *look* to be comprehensive- will be usurped by a later edition.

I absolutely agree with the origianl review. DON'T buy this blatant money grab- especially for a film whose major appeal is that it puts artistic ideals above commercial ambition.
Old 02-11-05, 03:34 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lower the cynicism, please. Looking at this again, the re-issue may have been to get front-of-store placement for the awards season. Marketing, true, but on a movie with tighter margins than more hyped studio product.