Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I hate online gaming!

Old 01-10-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate online gaming!

There I said it! Call me old-fashioned but I like playing games against my real-life friends. That way you're right there witnessing the reactions of everyone. I absolutely detest that Gamecube gets cool extras because they aren't internet capable. Those lucky bastards! Thank you Nintendo for staying old-school.
Old 01-10-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone would disagree with you that playing video games against your friends in the same room is a lot more fun than playing multiplayer online.

Online multiplayer gaming exists simply to fill this void - and is a suitable alternative for friendless, masturbating 19 year olds that live with their parents...

Edited to add: I didn't realise that the amount of extras found on Gamecube titles was in direct proportion to their lack of online support.
Old 01-10-05, 08:59 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. I can't stand online gaming. I'm not big in multiplayer gaming period as most of the game genres I like the most are single player oriented. But when I do want to play a fighting game or sports game multiplayer I want it to be against my friends, in the same room, pounding some beers.
Old 01-10-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've tried it on the Xbox and PS2 and have no interest in it. It might be fun if I liked games like Halo, but I don't. I find it unbearable for sports games. I'd rather just play against people I know in the same room.
Old 01-10-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
But when I do want to play a fighting game or sports game multiplayer I want it to be against my friends, in the same room, pounding some beers.
That a great idea for young'uns.

When you grow up and have a job, a wife, a kid (or two)...and all of your friends are in the same boat...you learn to appreciate being able to play games against your friends online.
Old 01-10-05, 09:24 PM
Retired

I'm 26, so I'm not that young and my gaming time has dwindled.

And when I get to that point (kids, married etc.), I'll just not do multiplayer at all (if I'm even still gaming). Hell, I probably played multiplayer with friends 5 times tops in all of 2004. It's not something I've ever been big on, as I said above.
Old 01-10-05, 09:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Hate online gaming as well here. That's why i never even use my XBox.
Single player is nicer.....
Old 01-10-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 26, so I'm not that young and my gaming time has dwindled.

And when I get to that point (kids, married etc.), I'll just not do multiplayer at all (if I'm even still gaming). Hell, I probably played multiplayer with friends 5 times tops in all of 2004. It's not something I've ever been big on, as I said above.
I'm 26 and already in that boat. Since my son was born, I've increased my online play, as it provides a nice interactive gaming experience. My friends and I still gather for some Crystal Chronicles and the like, but there is hardly any chance to play some of the games I want to with others, either from lack of time or interest from friends. So, online provides me with that outlet.

I still do enjoy single player more however and a large majority of time is spent with those games.
Old 01-10-05, 10:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

I hate split screen.
Old 01-10-05, 10:13 PM
Retired

I love split screen for FPS's as I like pick up and play party games, and split screen facilitates that as it negates having to have the maps memorized to know where people are at, making the game more accessible and faster paced.
Old 01-10-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I also hate split screen. I hate it during lans when you have monitor watchers looking over your shoulder and the hide and seek aspect of FPS is a big part of it.

You have to memorize maps. Much like any combat zone a long drawn out game can actually be more fun. Besides. I don't have ADD. I can wait a few minutes before a new match to let to people fight it out in a classic hunter/stalker game.

I love online gaming. It's quick and can be handled within moments. No need to set up a boys night or whatever and clean up any mess. simple log onto a list of games and play. Jump off after I got my fill.
Old 01-10-05, 11:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Getting together with the guys is fun, but doing so online with a XBL voice communicator isn't bad at all. My boss lives in NJ, our programmer lives in upstate NY, we can play as a big group and it's fun as hell and no shitty split screen.
Old 01-10-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with everything Jack said.
Old 01-10-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
That a great idea for young'uns.

When you grow up and have a job, a wife, a kid (or two)...and all of your friends are in the same boat...you learn to appreciate being able to play games against your friends online.
I'd rather have guys over, but Brian is right. Once all your friends start getting married/having kids, Live has been kinda convenient. I'll hop on late at night and one or two buddies may be on. We play for a couple of hours. Not bad.

Having everyone over AND playing on Live is a great advantage. We always tend to do better this way than individually over live. 1. there is no headset/button press to talk to worry about. Makes it easier to strategize as well. 2. If someone gets into a battle it is easy to check their screen to find where they are at than trying to figure out what they mean when they say, near this or that. So this way, you get the best of both worlds.
Old 01-11-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I hate online gaming simply because of the shitty people you encounter while playing.
Old 01-11-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I encounter shitty people everywhere not just in online gaming.
Old 01-11-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those of you who really hate online gaming should give xbox live a chance. I play with my friends from work as well as my new friends here on the forum. No need to put up with 12 year old asshats all the time when you have a clan of people with common interests like DVD's.
Old 01-11-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I also hate split screen. I hate it during lans when you have monitor watchers looking over your shoulder and the hide and seek aspect of FPS is a big part of it.

You have to memorize maps. Much like any combat zone a long drawn out game can actually be more fun. Besides. I don't have ADD. I can wait a few minutes before a new match to let to people fight it out in a classic hunter/stalker game.

I love online gaming. It's quick and can be handled within moments. No need to set up a boys night or whatever and clean up any mess. simple log onto a list of games and play. Jump off after I got my fill.
Yup, I agree.

The only online game I play, though, is Socom 2. Other than that, the only multiplayer game I play with other people is Mario Kart DD.
Old 01-11-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I encounter shitty people everywhere not just in online gaming.

There will always be annoying people in video games. I take it you never went to the arcade? I got annoyed with the number of morons who thought they were hot shit on street fighter or any other fighting game. Video games will always bring out the annoying aspects of some people. Just online you have more of that because you have more people.
Old 01-11-05, 06:45 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I hate split screen.

My friend and I have built a contraption out of cardboard to use when playing a split screen game. We have done this ever since Goldeneye on the 64. It works great...you can't see the other persons screen. Give it a try...it makes split screen 10 times more fun.

wlj
Old 01-11-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...and split screen facilitates that as it negates having to have the maps memorized to know where people are at, making the game more accessible and faster paced.
You obviously have never played Halo 2 on Xbox Live.
Old 01-11-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
My friend and I have built a contraption out of cardboard to use when playing a split screen game. We have done this ever since Goldeneye on the 64. It works great...you can't see the other persons screen. Give it a try...it makes split screen 10 times more fun.

wlj
Saddest post ever!
Old 01-11-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I love online gaming,but then again i don't have RL friends...
Old 01-11-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wlj

wlj

omg... tell me that was in jest b/c i cracked up when i read that LOL

--
for people complaining, yet once again about jerks that play online, that's life. go outside and i see jerks all the time. find people you like and play with them. i've had much success on xbox live and i've found it to be worthwhile. ignore jerks and don't play w/ them again.
Old 01-11-05, 09:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.