Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chemical Brothers- Push the Button (Jan 24)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I know, dance electronica is supposed to be deader than dead. But the Chems were probably the best of the mainstream bands during the late ninties and one of the very few that actually released entire albums of excellent stuff. Song to a Siren still sounds great in my car to me...

Anyway, they have a new album coming out in two weeks. Advance notice seems very positive. Their last two albums were ok (Surrender was actually pretty good), but this album is being marked as the Official Return To Form.

Here's an article about it:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co....429849,00.html
Old 01-11-05, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope it is more like their first album. That album is fantastic start to finish.

There aren't too many electronica/techno albums I can take (Leftfield's "Leftism" and "Vegas" by Crystal Method are the other two), but it would be nice to hear something like their first album.
Old 01-11-05, 06:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yeah, I know, dance electronica is supposed to be deader than dead.
First, by using the clumsy term "dance electronica", I presume you are referring to house music. Second, I believe you are from Chicago? I can assure you that house music is alive and well in Chicago.
Also, you should seek the Chems studio version of "Song To The Siren". The one on the album is a live version.
Jon
Old 01-11-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SubZeri
First, by using the clumsy term "dance electronica", I presume you are referring to house music. Second, I believe you are from Chicago? I can assure you that house music is alive and well in Chicago.
Also, you should seek the Chems studio version of "Song To The Siren". The one on the album is a live version.
Jon
That's a big 10-4, Professor.
Old 01-12-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sid Ceaser
I hope it is more like their first album. That album is fantastic start to finish.

There aren't too many electronica/techno albums I can take (Leftfield's "Leftism" and "Vegas" by Crystal Method are the other two), but it would be nice to hear something like their first album.
Sid, thanks for mentioning Leftfield! I had never heard of them before (having lived part of the last 10 years under a rock) though I had heard of CM. Going to give them a try...

-Gunshy
Old 01-13-05, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gunshy
Sid, thanks for mentioning Leftfield! I had never heard of them before (having lived part of the last 10 years under a rock) though I had heard of CM. Going to give them a try...

-Gunshy

No problem. I think "LEFTISM" is probably my favorite electronica/techno/whathaveyou album. I can play that thing nonstop over and over again. Its a shame that they aren't together anymore.
Old 01-18-05, 02:22 PM

Jon
Chemical Bros. is house music now???
Old 01-26-05, 06:16 AM

Just picked this up last night and loaded on the iPod. Listening to it now. So far it seems pretty good.

Others have mentioned its a "return to form". I'm not sure a "return to form" is a good description. After reading early reviews I was expecting some block rockin beats type of sound. Its different than their "Dig your own hole" and earlier efforts. It's alot "dancier" with some of the grit and what not taken off. However having said that, its a really well produced and put together disc. They seem to be able to blend the musical elements better now, rather than relying and one or two good hooks.

It also has just the right amount of bass. Enough to shake the walls, but not so much thats its obnoxious. I mean this cd kicks ass even in the POS stereo in my car.

Overall.....a solid 4 out of 5.
Old 01-26-05, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm a little wary of this, NME really ragged on this and gave it a pathetic rating of 4 (out of 10). At some point this week I hope I can make it over to Tower and give it a listen before I plunk my money down.
Old 01-26-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looking forward to hearing this, all I gotta do know is wait for the library to get it in.
Old 01-26-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gunshy

-Gunshy

I'm going to jump in and agree with what everyone said about Leftism. It kicks ass. I got it a while ago and still give it a spin every so often. Vegas and Tweekend have to be my fav CM CDs too.

I'm going to have to download a couple of the tracks off this Chemical Brothers CD before I decide to buy it or not. I don't mind that's more "dancier" then their more big beat stuff. Star Guitar is one my favorite songs by them.
Old 01-26-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I heard some tracks from the new cd at Tower Records the other nite. I liked what I heard. But I've liked most of the stuff they've done and i've yet to buy any of their cd's.
Old 01-27-05, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the album, I just didnt care for "Believe" and "Left Right".

I don't like the singing in "Believe" and "Left Right" really sounds like a rap song

I'll have to give it some a few more spins in the future so i can come up with solid overall opinion on the album.

It took me a few listens to finally get into the Ohgr albums and now i love them.
Old 01-27-05, 11:50 AM

yea, i agree, i dont like LEFT RIGHT either. that and one other track is skipable in my opinion, but the rest is really tight and solid.

LOVE track 5.
Old 01-27-05, 03:43 PM

... "Vegas" by Crystal Method
Thank you for the recommendation.
Somehow I had previously missed out on this group.
Old 01-27-05, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by entitee
Chemical Bros. is house music now???
Not the narrow definition of house meaning 4-to-the-floor, wailing divas, cowbells, and 808 kicks, but house as a general umbrella for all dancefloor-oriented rhythmic tunes. Sorta like when people refer to techno without meaning Juan Atkins, 303 squelches, or "Strings Of Life". Ya know?

As for the new Chems album....whoa. For reference, I'm obsessive about, and have hoarded dance music since the spring of 1989. My brother produces breaks and has releases on 3 worldwide labels, and I have every original Chems track and release including all the EP's from the Dust Brothers era. Let me say that this new Chems album is singlehandedly the most disappointing release I've heard (from anyone) since Song to the Siren blew my skull off in 1993. Absolutely disappointing, embarassing almost. Do yourself a favor, track down the Abe Duque remixes of Galvanize and leave the rest on the cutting room floor where it belongs.
Jon

Last edited by SubZeri; 01-27-05 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really like the song "The Boxer" (REALLY LIKE IT) but i do listen to it and get a "Daft Punk" vibe from the intro.

I had a similar thing with one of the later songs where i was thinking that either the intro or a certain part of the song sounded like something Orbital would do.
Old 01-27-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the new Chems album....whoa. For reference, I'm obsessive about, and have hoarded dance music since the spring of 1989. My brother produces breaks and has releases on 3 worldwide labels, and I have every original Chems track and release including all the EP's from the Dust Brothers era. Let me say that this new Chems album is singlehandedly the most disappointing release I've heard (from anyone) since Song to the Siren blew my skull off in 1993. Absolutely disappointing, embarassing almost. Do yourself a favor, track down the Abe Duque remixes of Galvanize and leave the rest on the cutting room floor where it belongs.
Jon
Yikes! You've convinced me.
Old 01-28-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only listened to it twice so far and pretty much like it except for the first song "Galvanize"....something about it really gets on my nerves.
Old 01-28-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=Sid Ceaser] "Vegas" by Crystal Method QUOTE]

Excellent CD!

Have any of you guys heard of the British band called Curve? They are great: very dark/dance/somewhat industrial on some songs.
Old 01-28-05, 09:42 PM

I just picked up the new Chemical Brothers album, but haven't had a chance to pop in it yet - it was cheap enough on sale for a "impulse" purchase.

Slightly diverging a bit, is anyone here a fan of the band "Delerium"? Not really a bad per se, it's one of the guys from Skinny Puppy and something else I think - but, anyway, I really love everything they have done since the early '90s album "Karma". They make good use of guest female vocalists.

I'm noticing that most of my favorite electronica albums all happen to have been released around the same early 90's time period. Hoom. Strange.

I'm also a big fan of a band called "Mono". Their album was called "Formica Blues", and they had the song "Life in Mono" featured on the Great Expectations soundtrack from the mid 90's. They kinda came and went, and I never found out about any other albums from them.

I'm kinda shocked that techno is kinda falling by the wayside - you would think as digital music technology gets more advanced, guys like Leftield and Crystal Method would survive and create really good stuff. But instead they break up, or make less than stellar albums.

I'm digressing.
Old 01-29-05, 01:21 AM

Leftism was one of my favorite CDs. I was on a road trip about 4 years ago, and my discman (with the Leftism CD inside) fell out of the car at some gas station in BFE Wyoming. Of course, I didn't realize the discman was missing until a stop in Salt Lake City.

I like the new Chemical Brothers album. Not as good as some of the other releases, but still good.
Old 01-29-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm noticing that most of my favorite electronica albums all happen to have been released around the same early 90's time period. Hoom. Strange.
Mine tend to be mostly from the early to mid 90's. My quest as far as aquring music at this point is findig the first Apollo 440 album and some (old skool) Technotronic.

I'm also a big fan of a band called "Mono". Their album was called "Formica Blues", and they had the song "Life in Mono" featured on the Great Expectations soundtrack from the mid 90's. They kinda came and went, and I never found out about any other albums from them.
I remember them. I don't know if they had another album.

I'm kinda shocked that techno is kinda falling by the wayside - you would think as digital music technology gets more advanced, guys like Leftield and Crystal Method would survive and create really good stuff. But instead they break up, or make less than stellar albums.
I liked Underworlds last album...i admit their live album gets more play simply because "Juanita/Kiteless" is awesome live.

And i have yet to be unhappy about any Daft Punk album (except ALIVE 1997).
Old 01-29-05, 07:32 AM

We have a chain of used stores in my area called Turn It Up! music. Mostly located in Mass, NH, and VT. They usually carry all european versions of cd-releases. THey have the 2 disc version of Leftfield's "Leftism" that has a bonus cd of remixes and stuff. Prices are usually right around 8 bucks for the set.

Their website is horridly out of date, and doesn't reflect their inventory very well (both the Vermont and Keene NH store had the 2 disc Leftism cd, but the website says it doesn't find anything by that name), so if anyone is in this area, you might find some good suprises.

Make sure you check out the 5 dollar box by the register - sometimes good stuff finds its way into there as well.

Daft Punk *thumbs up*
Old 03-28-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally bought this album. IMO, the best Chems album since Dig Your Own Hole. Very consistent and great beats. Best track: "Surface to Air".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.