Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the "must haves" and the rare collectibles, on ANY SYSTEM?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently, I have the following systems:
Atari 2600
TurboGrafx 16
Genesis (with Master System Converter)
Saturn (broken, I'll get another system soon)
Dreamcast
Game Gear
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Game Boy (Advance soon)
PS
PS2
XBox (soon)

I eventually plan on getting most other US released systems, and a few import ones, as well - Wonderswan, Pocket Station, NGPC, Turbo Duo, etc... I just picked up the PS, PS2, and Gamecube in the past month, so I am way behind on what titles these systems have (this also applies to XBox and GBA.)

I am looking for titles that would be considered essentials, and titles that would be sought after jewels to the collector, as well. I'm not looking to get rich from E-Bay, I just want to round out my collection.

I play a fairly wide range of games. I like rpgs, adventures, platformers, some fighting, some racing, anime-based, Japanese style games, Square-Enix, some shooters, some survival-horror or stealth, etc. I detest most sports games (NCAA, NFL, NHL, etc.,) although a sumo game would be awesome, and I might not object to a boxing or wrestling game, depending on the title. I have a fond spot for many old-school icons, such as Metroid, Mario, Link, Sonic, etc. Comedy is always nice, as well.
Old 01-09-05, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga, and maybe Burning Rangers. They were the last two games released.
NGPC - Metal Slug 2. Once SNK stopped doing business, they recalled all their product. I actually held it in my hand after the recall, but didnt have enough cash on me. This was one of the last games released.
Old 01-09-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Saturn has so very many amazing rare games.

My absolute favorite game is Shining Force 3. There are 3 acts to it, only 1 was released in English - the other two remained Japanese, which saddened me. Regardless, I've played through the first scenario like 8 times, and my quickest recorded completion of it is 35 hours... that's a lot of Shining Force. Probably one of the rarest Saturn games is the Shining Force 3 Platnium Disc which was also Japan only and free to those who had purchased all 3 parts. I believe it goes for upwards of $200 on Ebay now.

Another extremely rare Saturn game that I've never played is Radiant Silvergun, which is supposedly an extraordinary shooter game that commonly goes for $200 on ebay.

The afformentioned Panzer Dragoon Saga was a great romp, but kind of short. So I played through it about 5 times and sold it on Ebay.

Another surprisingly rare game is Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. This game made use of the 4 meg cartridge, and was arcade perfect. But it was Japanese arcade-perfect, so it included a character (whose name I can't find right now) was supposed to be Japanese only. Either Capcom or MArvel got pissed off about the fact that the Japanese only character made his way to US shores, and an embargo was summarily placed upon the game.

A good import is Fire Pro Wrestling S: Six Man Scramble, but I believe there might be improved versions on more recent systems (although I'm not a fan of the GBA one)

Many of the games released in the twilight of the system's life were quite fun, and should be able to be picked up for relatively cheap - games such as Decathalete/Winter Heat, Burning Rangers, House of the Dead (somewhat rare, and the graphics suck, but fun)

If you hadn't guessed, the Saturn was my favorite system of all time
Old 01-09-05, 01:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Currently, I have the following systems:
Atari 2600
TurboGrafx 16
Genesis (with Master System Converter)
Saturn (broken, I'll get another system soon)
Dreamcast
Game Gear
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Game Boy (Advance soon)
PS
PS2
XBox (soon)

I eventually plan on getting most other US released systems, and a few import ones, as well - Wonderswan, Pocket Station, NGPC, Turbo Duo, etc... I just picked up the PS, PS2, and Gamecube in the past month, so I am way behind on what titles these systems have (this also applies to XBox and GBA.)

I am looking for titles that would be considered essentials, and titles that would be sought after jewels to the collector, as well. I'm not looking to get rich from E-Bay, I just want to round out my collection.

I play a fairly wide range of games. I like rpgs, adventures, platformers, some fighting, some racing, anime-based, Japanese style games, Square-Enix, some shooters, some survival-horror or stealth, etc. I detest most sports games (NCAA, NFL, NHL, etc.,) although a sumo game would be awesome, and I might not object to a boxing or wrestling game, depending on the title. I have a fond spot for many old-school icons, such as Metroid, Mario, Link, Sonic, etc. Comedy is always nice, as well.
don't get out much, huh? (somebody had to say it!)
Old 01-09-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's a few rare collectibles off the top of my head:

Atari 2600 - Chase the Chuck Wagon! (rare Purina dog food mail-away)
Dreamcast - Shenmue II (European import, Japanese w/ English subtitles), Ikaruga (sequel to Radiant Silvergun, but easily available on GameCube), Fire Pro Wrestling D (Japanese import)
NES - Tetris (rare Tengen version, recalled), Dragon Warrior III & IV
PS1 - Suikoden I & II
Old 01-09-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Turbo Graphics 16 was a kick ass system back in the day.

Ninja Spirit
Alien Crush
Demon Crush?
Bonk

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-09-05 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-09-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Turbo Graphics 16 was a lick ass system back in the day.

The Sega Genesis was the console that really tossed my salad...
Old 01-09-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by cheapskate

The Sega Genesis was the console that really tossed my salad...

Hey, some asses are worth it.
Old 01-09-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd guess that Radiant Silvergun is about as good as it gets for quality+rarity.
Old 01-09-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally like the game review site www.ign.com

Go to whichever system, click on "editor's choices" (or editor's picks, or something like that) and use that as a starting point.
Old 01-09-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The US release of Ys Books 1+2 on the TG16 (assuming you have the cd addon). Probably the best version of this great action rpg (although there might be a modern pc rerelease now).
Old 01-09-05, 08:34 PM

check out www.digitpress.com

they have online rarity guides for most systems and also bokk versions available for purchase (highly recommended)
Old 01-10-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chris_D
The US release of Ys Books 1+2 on the TG16 (assuming you have the cd addon). Probably the best version of this great action rpg (although there might be a modern pc rerelease now).
The newest version came out a couple of years ago in Japan for PC (and later PS2). It's probably one of the greatest video game remakes I have ever played in my life. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it again.
Old 01-10-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What? No love for Intellivision?

Tron Solar Sailor rocked! Also
Night Stalker
Sea Battle
Baseball
Atlantis
Dungeous & Dragons
Kool-Aid Man

Tons of great titles.
Old 01-10-05, 07:53 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by rfduncan
What? No love for Intellivision?

Tron Solar Sailor rocked! Also
Night Stalker
Sea Battle
Baseball
Atlantis
Dungeous & Dragons
Kool-Aid Man

Tons of great titles.
I never knew much about the Intellivision, I had the Colecovision and Atari adapter at the time.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, and keep 'em coming!
I'm not *JUST* looking for rare and high-priced titles, however, as I would be interested in hearing about a great title that is as common as dirt, too.

I was bad today, I found Alundra, Brigandine, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Suikoden II, Thousand Arms, Vandal-Hearts II, Wild Arms II, and Xenogears for the PS, along with Illusion of Gaia, Yoshi's Island, and Act Raiser (SNES), King's Knight (Squaresoft - NES,) and finally Rez and Victorious Boxers, both on the PS2.
Old 01-10-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
anyone remember the Turbo Grafix game CADASH? I remember playing it with my cousin a long time ago and it was rather fun.
Old 01-10-05, 09:43 PM

TurboGrafx 16 - Keith Courage.
Old 01-10-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
www.atariage.com

The site has a rareness rating for all cartridges...check out some of the super rare (before consoles kept a tight control on releases)

http://www.atariage.com/software_lis...?SystemID=2600
Old 01-11-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Though they are currently down for a "re-org", http://videogamedeals.com is also pretty good for finding old, odd titles and hardware.
Old 01-11-05, 09:23 AM

NES: Wrecking Crew, Bubble Bobble 2, Gold Tournament Cartridge (valued at $1500+, was a prize when someone won an official Nintendo Tournament), Thunder & Lightning, RC Pro Am 2 is a tough one to find, Dragon Warrior 2...
Old 01-11-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My copies of Snatcher and Shining Force CD for the Sega CD are much treasured. I had Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn as well as some other collectibles, but sold them all a couple of years ago.

I'm hoping my Resident Evil 4 Collector's Set ends up being pretty collectible as well.
Old 01-12-05, 09:11 AM
Banned

GameCube: Resident evil 2 & 3 both are hard to find games very rare capcom only made a certain amount. both those games are going for almsot $100 peice now but together you could get almost $200+

plus like others have said RE4 tin only available at gamestop. but only 48,000 of those made... so good luck..
Old 01-12-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Probably the rarest title for the TG-16 was Magical Chase. I've seen this go for as much as $500 on ebay.
Old 01-12-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Setzer
Probably the rarest title for the TG-16 was Magical Chase. I've seen this go for as much as $500 on ebay.
Was there a US release? I know several TG16/Duo titles that go for above $200.. one of them that I really, really, REALLY want is called Dynastic Hero.. it's a port of Wonder Boy in Monster World for the Genesis (which is one of my favorite series) and last time I saw it on eBay it went for $400.

Old 01-12-05, 10:04 PM

I have Magical Chase for the TG-16, so I can confirm that a US version exists. I also have the US version of Dynastic Hero for the Duo. Both are great games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.