Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP to launch this spring in the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
PSP to launch this spring in the US

Sony officials said at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that the game player will hit U.S. stores in March.

Sony executive Howard Stringer said the console will sell for less than $200.

Sony hopes U.S. demand will be strong for the black-and-silver console, which also plays music and movies. Stores in Japan sold out of the 200,000 PSPs they had in stock within hours of its debut Dec. 12.

Sony officials said the company shipped 510,000 units of the PSP in Japan as of Dec. 31, exceeding its 2004 target by 10,000.

Sony's PSP is being pitted against Japanese rival Nintendo's new DS portable game player. It sells for $150 and hit the the U.S. market Nov. 21, in time for the holiday shopping season.

"The price is such a bargain I don't think anyone is going to be put off," Stringer said of the PSP. "I don't think all the consumer electronics stores had a great Christmas.

"With this price point, the reaction will be the same as in Japan."

Sony, famous for its PlayStation and PlayStation2 consoles, trails Nintendo in the handheld game player market. In addition to DS, Nintendo makes the GameBoy line.

The PSP also is known as the PlayStation Portable.

Nintendo officials said last month the company expected to ship more than 2.8 million units of its dual-screen Nintendo DS console, which is strictly a gaming device with wireless capabilities, in the United States and Japan by the end of 2004.
Old 01-09-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
What are the battery life reports from Japan? Specifically UMD movies?

I haven't seen much on this.
Old 01-09-05, 01:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Is there no place that you can preorder this yet? And why are the games as much as the regular system games? that seems absurd...
Old 01-09-05, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You can pre-order at EB, GameStop, Game Crazy....
The prices for games hav'nt been announced yet, so most stores just price them at $49.99 to be safe. Hopefully the game will be $29.99-$34.99 like the DS line.

I now will be picking up a PSP due to the fact it is under $200. However, I will never use the MP3 player, nor the movie player.
Old 01-09-05, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
However, I will never use the MP3 player, nor the movie player.

Why not?
Old 01-09-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I preordered this at EB last week ($20 down) This is going to be one amazing portable....games, movies and music....AWEsome!

I'm not going to using the UMD to watch movies, it's just a waste of money. Ripping your DVDs to the memory stick is the way to go...you're saving money...and saving battery life.
Old 01-09-05, 04:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
The prices for games hav'nt been announced yet, so most stores just price them at $49.99 to be safe. Hopefully the game will be $29.99-$34.99 like the DS line.

I now will be picking up a PSP due to the fact it is under $200. However, I will never use the MP3 player, nor the movie player.
can you do it online with EB and Gamestop? because they don't even list it on their sites...
Old 01-09-05, 04:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
I preordered this at EB last week ($20 down) This is going to be one amazing portable....games, movies and music....AWEsome!

I'm not going to using the UMD to watch movies, it's just a waste of money. Ripping your DVDs to the memory stick is the way to go...you're saving money...and saving battery life.
What's the diff. between using the UMD and burning DVDs to a mem stick?
Old 01-09-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
What's the diff. between using the UMD and burning DVDs to a mem stick?
My assumption would be that the memory stick uses less battery life (no moving parts), while the UMD would have to spin constantly, or at intervals and use up more of the battery. Another huge advantage would be not having to purchase the movies you already own, in UMD format.

But you know what they say about assumption. It makes an ass out of U & an umption...
Old 01-09-05, 08:25 PM

Ripping your DVDs to the memory stick is the way to go...you're saving money...and saving battery life.

How do you do that?
Old 01-09-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by daniel18
How do you do that?
sofdec talks about it in his review...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpos...71&postcount=5
Old 01-09-05, 08:39 PM

But I don't have a DVD drive on my computer.
Old 01-09-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by daniel18
But I don't have a DVD drive on my computer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...101-125&depa=1
Old 01-09-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was in a display so I didn't get a chance to play with it, but I saw a unit at CES. It was a bit smaller than what I was expecting which is a pleasant surprise since I was worried about how portable it was going to be. And the screen seemed to live up to the hype.

I think this thing will make a really good portable video player. It's smaller than a portable DVD player and is half the cost of the HD based portable players. And its screen is better than any I've seen on either type of device.

And I suppose the fact that you can play games with it is nice as well. I was going to wait to see what the launch line-up of games was going to be before buying one, but at this point, I'm thinking I'm going to pre-order the damn thing.
Old 01-09-05, 10:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Don't hold your breath for $30 games for the PSP. It looks like Sony expects to make up for the hit they'll take on the hardware by selling the software for $40 and up.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 01-09-05 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 12:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I imported it at launch. I've been getting between 4-5 hours between charges with time to spare. I can't complain about it. I've been playing Ridge Racers to death.

I've tried converting videos to watch on the PSP but I'm on a Mac, which doesn't currently have the right video codec apparently. Still, there's already quite a bit of a community ripping DVDs to watch on the PSP. With the right compression, you can fit a few movies onto one of the bigger memory sticks
Old 01-10-05, 12:04 AM

BGPu:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25571

iPSP (intelligent Picture and Sound Pusher) is a complete, full-featured PSP management tool for MacOS X with the following features:

* Automatic Game Save Backup
* iTunes Playlist integration, supports Smart Playlists
* iPhoto Album integration, supports Smart Albums
* Multiformat queue-based video converter with multiproccessor support
* Automated "no hands" operation
* Simple options
* Requires no drivers or extensions
* Extensive help via standard MacOS X Help Center
* Works in English and Japanese
Old 01-10-05, 04:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I didn't have a laptop I'd be more incline to buy one.
Old 01-11-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that CES has wrapped, we bring to you the big rumors from the main floor:

• The Xbox 2 will have a standard resolution of 720p. Of course, the current Xbox supports 720p, though not many game publishers have included the option. Perhaps Microsoft will demand 720p compatibility for the Xbox 2?

The Sony PSP will debut at $150. Well, that certainly would pop Nintendo’s balloon…

• Samsung is going to release a 5MP camera phone. Crazy!

Back in the real world, the Best of Show award goes to the Yamaha YSP-1, a digital sound system that creates multi-channel surround-sound without all the pesky speakers
http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers...Stowboard.html
Old 01-11-05, 09:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by musick
The Sony PSP will debut at $150. Well, that certainly would pop Nintendo’s balloon…
First, this was described as nothing more than a rumor (without attribution, no less).

Second, it's becoming clear that Sony's strategy at this point is to take a loss or minimal profit on the PSP hardware in order to get the unit into homes, then jack up the price of software to get a return on that investment. Probably a shrewd move on Sony's part, but gamers should be aware of what they're buying into, because they'll end up paying a lot more to play on the system in the long run.
Old 01-11-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Hmm, at $150, I'd consider buying one, but not if all the games are going to be $50 ...
Old 01-11-05, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Hmm, at $150, I'd consider buying one, but not if all the games are going to be $50 ...
Can you get a portable media center for $150?

Gaming, Movies, Music, Wi-Fi....

Here and there I'll get games...$50 fine.

But I can watch endless movies on the Memory Stick and listen to endly songs.
Old 01-11-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Can you get a portable media center for $150?

Gaming, Movies, Music, Wi-Fi....

Here and there I'll get games...$50 fine.

But I can watch endless movies on the Memory Stick and listen to endly songs.
I can already do all that on my smartphone. If I got a PSP, it'd be pretty much for games only. The perfect pricepoint for portable games is $29.99, if you ask me. If I had the choice, I'd rather pay a little more upfront for the system than $50 for each game.
Old 01-11-05, 12:03 PM

I can already do all that on my smartphone. If I got a PSP, it'd be pretty much for games only. The perfect pricepoint for portable games is $29.99, if you ask me. If I had the choice, I'd rather pay a little more upfront for the system than $50 for each game.
I don't have a smartphone....so that doesn't help me.
Old 01-11-05, 01:49 PM
Retired

I still wouldn't pick one up yet as I have no need for a portable media center (wouldn't want to watch movies on that small of a screen, already have a Dell DJ for mp3's) and there's just not enough games annouced for me to shell out $150.

But I agree about the games, no way I pay more than $30 for a portable game as I'd rather spend the money on a console game that will get more attention from me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.