Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is DS for me if I just want to play single player games casual?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 07:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I'm a teacher by day and get free periods and usually play games on my cell phone to past time, but of course that is limited in functionality and fun.

So is DS for me if I merely want to play good single player games and don't really care about mulit-player, wireless and all that?

Also, will the games and graphics be as good or same as PSP? I'm interested in "Metroid Hunters" and "Super Mario 64", but not much else. Would it be worth it just for those?

Honest and not biased comments would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that a Game Boy Advance SP might be right up your alley. They are like $70 new (less used) with a great library of games, including 3 very good side scrolling Metroids, 6 classic Marios (including Kart), 5 Zeldas (including the two GB color ones)...and a ton of other solid stuff.

You can get all the games used, the SP is more compact for travel, and the thing is built like a tank.

Just my $.02, and not really what you asked...sorry.
Old 01-08-05, 08:32 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I think that a Game Boy Advance SP might be right up your alley. They are like $70 new (less used) with a great library of games, including 3 very good side scrolling Metroids, 6 classic Marios (including Kart), 5 Zeldas (including the two GB color ones)...and a ton of other solid stuff.

You can get all the games used, the SP is more compact for travel, and the thing is built like a tank.

Just my $.02, and not really what you asked...sorry.
i know, but i'm dying for SM64, is all. but you make great points.
Old 01-08-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Nintendo DS plays Game Boy Advance games so you can have the best of both worlds if price isn't a factor. If price is factor the GBA SP is really cheap now($70 new, even less used) but the DS is only $150. So for only $80 more you get to have both game library's available to you. Right now a lot of GBA games can be had cheap also which you can play until more games come out that you are interested in for the DS. Either way you go you can't go wrong because they are both great systems.
Old 01-08-05, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
Also, will the games and graphics be as good or same as PSP?

The graphics will be better on PSP. And the games... that might be a little too early to tell.
Old 01-08-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
I'm a teacher by day and get free periods and usually play games on my cell phone to past time, but of course that is limited in functionality and fun.

So is DS for me if I merely want to play good single player games and don't really care about mulit-player, wireless and all that?

Also, will the games and graphics be as good or same as PSP? I'm interested in "Metroid Hunters" and "Super Mario 64", but not much else. Would it be worth it just for those?

Honest and not biased comments would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I picked one up after Xmas along with Super Mario 64 and for me....it was worth the purchase for Super Mario alone. I am interested in other games obviously such as the classic GBA games Castlevania, Super Mario etc. Believe me when I say you will have alot of fun for some time to come with the Super Mario game.
Old 01-08-05, 04:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally. Porbable games are always geared more toward single player than multiplayer.

And as others said you can play all the GBA games on the SP so you have all those, and they look better on the DS than the SP as the screen is backlit instead of sidelit.