Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bought a dvd, but no discs inside! What to do!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently found the 2 disc OOP Rocky Horror at Blockbuster for $19.99 new and factory sealed! Only problem is there are no discs inside. I called to all the other Blockbusters in the area with no luck. I also just contacted Fox Studios about a replacement. I'm just worried that since it is out of print that there is nothing that they can do. Has anyone else had this happen with an OOP dvd? Will they be able to replace it, or am I just out of luck?
Old 01-05-05, 10:35 PM

this may sound weird,but that happened to me once with a CD and thank god i had opened it right in my car,as best buy exchanged it,so since then i usually do that when i buy a dvd,i open it in the car.
Old 01-05-05, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by LikeMiamiVice
this may sound weird,but that happened to me once with a CD and thank god i had opened it right in my car,as best buy exchanged it,so since then i usually do that when i buy a dvd,i open it in the car.
Didn't it seem really light?
Old 01-06-05, 12:18 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually give the case a shake to ensure that there no lose disk, usually you should be able to hear or feel the disks. Sorry to hear dude.
Old 01-06-05, 06:04 AM
Cool New Member

When I purchased Deep Impact it didn’t have the disc in the case. On the insert was an ink line where somebody had shoved a pen into the case without breaking the top security seal. It was factory sealed when I got it so I guess it had happened somewhere in the packaging or quality control process.
Old 01-06-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just got an xbox game this holiday, though it was shrinkwrapped, the security seal on the right side of the box was slit opened but barely enough to take anything out. when i did indeed opened it up, there was no disc. my friend took it back to ebgames for an exchange; it wasn't the only disc with that "problem."
Old 01-06-05, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
Didn't it seem really light?
actually i dont remember..cause that was around the time i put the dvd player in the car and that was about 2 years ago.
Old 01-06-05, 11:37 AM
Banned

This is why you always shake the case. That sucks, just take it back and tell em it didn't have any discs inside, ask for either store credit or a refund.
Old 01-06-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater for Christmas. Seals were on and looked perfect, also appeared to have perfect factory plastic wrap. I opened it up and insidea of Metal Gear Solid, there was a burned music CD cracked in half. Needless to say I was impressed but pissed off, target didn't put up to much of a fuss though.
Old 01-06-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronin4223
I just recently found the 2 disc OOP Rocky Horror at Blockbuster for $19.99 new and factory sealed! Only problem is there are no discs inside. I called to all the other Blockbusters in the area with no luck. I also just contacted Fox Studios about a replacement. I'm just worried that since it is out of print that there is nothing that they can do. Has anyone else had this happen with an OOP dvd? Will they be able to replace it, or am I just out of luck?
Only thing you can do is to hope Fox believes you and has a replacement. If not yer probably out of luck unless BBV will give you a refund. Did BBV offer one?
Old 01-06-05, 03:47 PM
Banned

The only incident that I've had similar to this is when I bought the 2-disc Open Range set. It had the feature disc (Disc 1), but did not have the Extras disc (Disc 2). Luckily, I opened it in the parking lot, so I immediately took it back in for an exchange. But unfortunately, or fotunately, however you want to look at it, I buy less than 10% of my DVDs from B&Ms.

I just got a duplicate order from DDD, yep, I ordered 6 DVDs, got two boxes. Both boxes had the same content. Unfortunately, one title had a bad disc. Major surface flaws. That swirly water mark. And then to top it off, I opened the other copy. It too had the same problem. Tried playing both and each copy would break up and digitize. Problem is that because I ordered so many titles, there's no room to return both copies in the same box.
Old 01-06-05, 04:00 PM

This has happened to me twice. Once was when I bought the original resident evil playstation game a long time ago and another time when I got A Beautiful Mind. They were both factory sealed and I think just missing one disc. I just returned them and got an exchange no problem.
Old 01-06-05, 04:56 PM

Oh, I've already called Blockbuster and they are ready to give me a refund. It's not about that though, it's that this is an out of print disc that I have been looking for forever!
Old 01-06-05, 05:13 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darmok
i just got an xbox game this holiday, though it was shrinkwrapped, the security seal on the right side of the box was slit opened but barely enough to take anything out. when i did indeed opened it up, there was no disc. my friend took it back to ebgames for an exchange; it wasn't the only disc with that "problem."
ebgames opens a lot of games and then sell them as new. They're opened either to put the empty cases out to display on the shelves or for the employees to take the games home to play.
Old 01-06-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
That has happened to me twice lol Well what can you do except return it back. It happens...they know this.

-antonio
Old 01-06-05, 05:24 PM

A simialr thing happened to me at Gamestop. I bought a used Widescreen DVD of HULK. When I finally got around to watching i two days later (and the reciept was gone) I opened the case to find out that the movie disc was fullscreen! Guess now I'll have to open every used disc I buy at Gamestop there to ensure I'm getting the right version.
Old 01-06-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine bought a sealed copy of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW Season One and when he got home, he found there were no DVDs in any of the cases; they had been replaced by AOL discs! After a lot of grief from Best Buy and a couple of phone calls to Image Entertainment, Best Buy gave him a new set.
Old 01-06-05, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

Funny I came across this thread because the same thing happened to me today. Hopefully BB will be as willing to exchange it as some of the other stores where this has happened.
Old 01-06-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
man, what a bummer. Why do people feel the need to steal this stuff? It already takes me 10 minutes to peel away all the security devices manufacturers place on DVD's/Games -- I guess if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it.
Old 01-06-05, 06:26 PM

in Dec., I finally got around to opening my disney treasures: on the front lines. this is very unusual for me. I usually open them up right away, but for some reason I didn't open that one. in any case, 1 year later when I opened it, I realized that disc 1 wasn't in the case. well, when I called disney, they sent me a postage paid lable, and told me to send everything back but the tin and they'd put the disc in the case. well, I did thinking it would take forever to get it back, but less than 2 weeks later, I got it back with the disc inserted. anyways, try calling the studio who put it out they might be able to help you out...
Old 01-06-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This happend to me once with Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3 (the sixth disc was missing). I went to Best Buy where I bought it and I had to argue with the manager for about 15 minutes, before they gave me another copy (they thought I had just taken the disc out of the container).
Old 01-06-05, 06:40 PM

heh. reading these reminds me of this kid i knew in highschool. back when the nintendo64 was still going, he realized that old sega games fit very nicely into the retail boxes. So, he goes out and gets a game, puts an old sega game in there, and returns it. A friend of mine thought this was a great idea, so he goes out, buys a game opens it up... and finds a sega game anyway, they worked something out between them so they didnt have to bring it back to the store
Old 01-06-05, 06:47 PM

This has never happened to me. I would be upset if the store did not exchange it.
Old 01-06-05, 09:08 PM

UPDATE!!!!
So check this out. I called around all day to over 20 blockbusters everywhere up to 30 miles away and found another store with a copy in stock! So I call and they hold it for me till I get there. I get there and am all excited, pay for it, get it out to the car, open it, and AGAIN THERE ARE NO DISCS. Again these are still factory sealed! I'm so pissed. It has to have been a bad batch from the factory or something. The clerk offered to order another one for me, but they don't seem to understand that THIS DVD IS OUT OF PRINT! So I returned that one as well. I still have the first one I bought and am waiting for FOX studios to get back to me on replacing the discs. I emailed them, but would like to call and talk to someone one-on-one. Does anyone know a number I can call to talk to someone about this, I can't find a number on their website.
Old 01-06-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

try:

*Fox Home Entertainment Hours of Operation (PST): M-F 8AM-5PM
1-888-223-2FOX

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.