Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommended Region Free Recorder for HDTV

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Recommended Region Free Recorder for HDTV

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Region Free Player and Recorder for HDTV

I'm entering the world of technology and just bought a HDTV and would like to buy a DVD Region Free Player and recorder that does PAL to NTSC conversion suited for a HDTV with 1080i. All the Region Free recommendations I've seen by searching have been for players, not players and recorders. In the $200-$500 price range, what do you recommend for a DVD Recorder (DVD-RW/+RW or HDD equipped) suitable for HDTV that also does good PAL to NTSC conversion?

Oh, and since we don't have a computer at home, it must come pre-configured, or simple remote hack, no burning CD's or chipset mods that I have to do myself. I want to buy it all done, or easy to do....

Last edited by GTIspirit; 01-04-05 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 11:33 AM

^Any thoughts, I'm considering the following:
Liteon 5005
JWIN JD-VD903
Akai DVD-RW120
ILO? DVDRHD04 If a DVR/HDD is worth it over say a DVD-/+RW (Sold at Walmart if the hack is easy....)
Which of these has better PAL->NTSC conversion?
Cyberhome? CH-1500 More memory in the converter=better conversion?

Last edited by GTIspirit; 01-05-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Are you just looking for a Region Free DVD Recorder (w/proper Pal/NTSC conversion)?

For minute there...it sounded like you were looking for Region Free DVD Recorder (w/proper Pal/NTSC conversion) that upconverts dvds and is able to record HDTV broadcast (I don't think a machine like this exist)
Old 01-06-05, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786

Are you just looking for a Region Free DVD Recorder (w/proper Pal/NTSC conversion)?
Yes. Everyone talks about DVD Players that are Region Free and do proper PAL/NTSC conversion but don't mention recorders. I don't know if it's fair to assume that the same brands do both well play and record with proper PAL/NTSC conversion.

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
For minute there...it sounded like you were looking for Region Free DVD Recorder (w/proper Pal/NTSC conversion) that upconverts dvds and is able to record HDTV broadcast (I don't think a machine like this exist)

I'll admit I'm new to this technology thing, getting Dish Networks in a few weeks, but how else would you record from the TV onto the DVD Recorder, especially if that TV program was in HDTV? Am I going to have to get the Dish Networks DVR? Why couldn't I record using a DVD Recorder or DVD Recorder with HDD/DVR?
Old 01-07-05, 07:36 AM

No thoughts or help on this? I understand that you can't record HDTV in HDTV format on anything less than a HD compatible device, but what if I just want to record a HDTV show in regular format using the DVD Recorder's built in NTSC tuner? That can be done, right? So what's a good region free DVD Player/Recorder with correct PAL->NTSC conversion?

Last edited by GTIspirit; 01-07-05 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-09-05, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GTIspirit
No thoughts or help on this? I understand that you can't record HDTV in HDTV format on anything less than a HD compatible device, but what if I just want to record a HDTV show in regular format using the DVD Recorder's built in NTSC tuner? That can be done, right? So what's a good region free DVD Player/Recorder with correct PAL->NTSC conversion?
I record from the coax into my pioneer. I would suggest doing a little research before buying any of the brands you mentioned; I haven't read many good things about their reliability.

Personally, I'd get a reliable recorder (panasonic, pioneer, etc) and buy a cheap DVD player to play pal/multi-region. The cyberhome 300 is about $40 from best buy. Amazon has the Panasonic DMR-E55K for $230. Walmart has the Pioneer DVR-220-S for $248.
Old 01-09-05, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by GTIspirit
Ok, lets unravel a couple things here.

Currently there is no dvd recorder on the market that will record high definition straight to a DVD. Most of these dvd recorders will take the analog (RCA) connections out of a HD satellite receiver/HD Cable receiver and burn that to a disc. Obviously the quality won't be the same.

There are dvd players that can upscale to 1080i, but i haven't seen one that can record also.

There are only a few ways to record HD.

1) If the cable/satellite provider offers a receiver with a DVR built-in. (DIsh 941/942, directv HD Tivo, SA or Motorola HD cable receiver).
2) If the TV has a built-in DVR (like the mitsubishi's).
3) If you have a HDTV with firewire connections, you can use D-VHS (High definition VHS) to archive/record your recordings.
4) Using a computer, but that is a bit out of the regular consumer arena...

The problem with 1 and 2 is that there is no way to archive the recordings. (I think you can with the Tivo but it requires a hack).

As a current Dish HD subscriber, unless you have a very compelling reason to go with dish (specific international shows), i would recommend that you go to Directv. They offer more channels related to HD and have more planned. The best i've heard from Dish is sometime this fall..

Also, the dish 811 is a bit buggy.... Check out www.satelliteguys.us for more info.
Old 01-10-05, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the help. I realize that there is currently no means to record HD in HD outside of a Tivo. But my TV has a single video out that could go to the DVD recorder. But that recorder wouldn't be as good as a dedicated player. So I've pretty much decided I'll see about a DVR from Dish and a Malata or Momitsu player because they seem to have a better reputation than the ones I originally mentioned.

And yes, I specifically got Dish for some international programming, German and French channels, which is why PAL->NTSC conversion and region free playback is so important.