Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

El Diablo (1990) cropped open-matte?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Diablo (1990) cropped open-matte?

The 1990 HBO movie El Diablo has always been shown in FS on TV. And because it was an HBO of that era, chances are that is was filmed in 4:3. However, the DVD is 1.85:1 anamorphic....and it appears that this is fake widescreen. Some shots just look all wrong. By that I mean that the heads in some shots are cut off. One shot of Joey 'Pants' who plays Kid Durango is riding up on his horse with an umbrella. Except you can't see the umbrella...well except the lower fringes of it. And like I said, there are several shots where it's obvious that the shot was framed in 4:3. A couple shots show the original town's deputy sheriff up on a platform, and half of his face is cropped. Another is of Anthony Edwards riding through the tunnel to El Diablo's hideout and in a scene where the expression on his face is important, it's half cut off.

So in this case, even though it's WS, it's not OAR. On the plus side, the transfer looks great for a 1990 HBO film. And if it weren't for the cropped faces, the WS transfer does give it a bit more cinematic look.

"Spoiled by spare spurs" Try saying that fast three times.