Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Once the new Sony PSP comes out, when will prices drop on Gamecube games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it will be a gradual price drop over time, but wanted to see what others opinions were. I've already noticed that some games seem to have been recently reduced in price (like F-Zero GX and Starfox Adventures) to $20.

Will they be adding more games to the "Player's Choice" category as time goes on? Is this what happened to F-Zero GX and Starfox Adventures?
Old 01-03-05, 12:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the correlation?
Old 01-03-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the PSP is going to have any effect on the price of GameCube games. Most new releases will still be $40-50, although there may be more $20-30 budget titles released as the system gets older. Also, 3rd party games may start out at $40-50, but they usually fall in price fairly quickly if they're not successful. Nintendo developed games tend to retain their value for a long time though, and I'd say it's usually at least 10 months to a year before they go onto the Player's Choice list.
Old 01-03-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what the hell? I don't think your correlation works, apples and oranges.
Old 01-03-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, they will be adding more Player's Choice games in the future as games get older and sales drop. Just as Sony does for Greatest Hits titles, and Xbox does for Platinum Hits.

But the Sony PSP has no relation to it at all. Good games will always come out at 40-50 bucks, and gradually drop over time. When Nintendo's next console comes out, it may affect the new title price, but typically when new consoles come out, they stop making new games for old consoles.
Old 01-03-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
umm... one is a portable and one is a console. They do not compete for business. They will be competing with the DS.
Old 01-03-05, 08:40 AM

Games tend to go down to $20 after they've been out for a year (often sooner). Starfox Adventures and FZero GX have both been out for over 2 years. If PSP affects any prices it may be Game Boy Advance titles, although with the success of the DS, that system may take some of the credit for any price drops on the older handheld.
Old 01-03-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are looking for cheap games check cheapassgamer for deals. Lots of games can be had for much cheaper than $20 typically if you know about the right deals.

Otherwise as everyone said the PSP is a handheld and gamecube a console, they aren't really related.
Old 01-03-05, 09:19 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Star Fox Adventures has been a Player's Choice title for well over a year now, and F-Zero GX did the same within a year of being released.

But like everyone else here, I don't the connection between the PSP and the GC... did you mean the Nintendo DS? If you did, then I doubt that Nintendo would budge on price drops on game six months out of the gate (unless they sucked).
Old 01-03-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that the PSP was the next main console, not another hand-held machine.

Once Sony's next main console comes out (which I thought was this year...), that should affect prices eventually, though I can see it taking a while. I guess for the time being I'll check out cheapassgamer for titles.
Old 01-03-05, 02:50 PM
Retired

Sony's next console probably won't be out until 2006 (same with Nintendo). The next X-box might be out in fall 2005, but I don't think that will affect prices on PS2 or GC games.
Old 01-03-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
I thought that the PSP was the next main console, not another hand-held machine.
I see what happened, you got the PSP (Playstation Portable) which is releasing sometime this year and PS3 (sequel to the PS2 which is still a few years away) confused.

The PS3 will be competing against the Nintendo Revolution and Microsoft Xenon.

By then the demand for PS2/Gamecube/X-Box games will be lower because everyone's gonna want the latest and greatest. So yes, the price of GC games will drop, but we're talking years from now. As Josh mentioned, 2006 at the earliest. And besides, by then you'll probably be wanting the latest systems too
Old 01-03-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I predict that when PSP comes out, the price of milk will increase.