Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Korean televesion DVDs

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom got hooked on the Korean television series "Lovers in Paris". She wants to watch other Korean TV in the same mold -- I think "Lovers in Paris" was in the romantic comedy genre. Any suggestions for a Korean romance television series? Thanks!
Old 01-02-05, 09:27 AM

Sorry about the incorrect spelling of my title for "television". I am trying to edit my post but I can't locate the "button" by the post that I am supposed to click on.
Old 01-02-05, 09:29 AM

The most famous korean series is sandglass. I havent seen it all yet but from what i have aleady seen it doesnt disappoint. Then there is also damo, winter's sonata (huge in japan, actually almost anywhere in asia), autumn tale, rooftop ally cat. There are a lot more these are the ones that just popped into my head. Have fun
Old 01-02-05, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen the first couple episodes Rooftop Room Cat, aka: Attic Cat, it's pretty good. YesAsia.com has it for $69.99, which is a little steep for me so I haven't bought it yet. Here's their description:

Starring Kim Rae-won, Jung Da-bin, Choi Yoon-jin and Lee Hyun-woo, romantic comedy Rooftop Room Cat not only achieved outstanding prime-time viewership numbers in 2003, but also drums up considerable buzz about having sexual relationship before marriage in Korea.

There seems to exist a cause-effect relationship among love, sex and marriage. Apathetic young man Kyung-min (Kim Rae-won), however, has never given a thought to the question until he loses Jeong-eun (Jung Da-bin), an optimistic high school fresh graduate Kyung-min lives together with. Miscalculating his love towards Hye-ryun (Choi Yoon-jin), Kyung-min claims his love to Hye-ryun while boarding with Jeong-eun in a rooftop room that he helps pay rent for her to gear up for his bar-exam. Jeong-eun, on other hand, stirs her boss (Lee Hyun-woo) as they work closely in an advertising agency. While each has a so-called outside lover, the unspoken love driven by jealousy of the young couple grows with the endless fights in a little rooftop room in a big city Seoul.

This hit comedy is now subtitled in English and Chinese and brought to you exclusively by YesAsia.com. The DVD boxset comes with story and character introduction plus episode synopses. Act now and order your copy to earn 3 postcards of the lead characters!

Still not sure if you should purchase Rooftop Room Cat? Then watch the first episode before you make your decision! As a bonus feature, the hit Korean drama Romance DVD boxset also includes the first episode of Rooftop Room Cat. We know you will love Romance, and we know you will love Rooftop Room Cat after you watch the first episode.
Old 01-02-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Winter Sonata is hugely popular and something your mom may like. I haven't seen it myself.
Old 01-03-05, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I will check them out for my Mom.
Old 01-04-05, 10:50 PM

There's a Lovers in Paris ripoff called Love Story in Harvard. It's still playing now in Korea and hasn't finished, but it should be over very soon. The DVD should come out in spring.

Many people liked... um... not sure about the English name, but the Korean name would be, I'm Sorry I Love You. That one's over. I don't really go for melodrama-ish dramas, but that was got my attention. Again, DVD should be out in spring (although those are only my guesses).
Old 01-11-05, 04:03 AM

You might wanna check out All About Eve. It has two really hot women in the series and it's available on yesasia.com.
Old 01-12-05, 02:55 AM

I recommend SandGlass, too. Love Story In Harvard is a pretty dull mini series. Winter Sonata is kind of a slow melo-teen-love drama and it's been now 2~3 years since it aired in Korea. Popular in Japan but don't know how it would do in the US.

Another one is called NangRang 18 (I don't know what the English equivalent is, but it's a box set that I own and it has English subtitles). I highly recommend this one. Pretty fun ride. Also, the English subtitle quality is top notch.

Just my 2 cents.